cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Motorcycle Lifts

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Looking to get a motorcycle lift so I'm not on my knees so much when working on the bike.

Looking at the Kendon Stand Up Lift and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and what your thoughts are. I like the ability to fold flat and store against a wall.

http://www.kendonusa.com/cruiserlift.html

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Motorcycle Lifts

Postby tandem54 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 am

That looks like a nice lift, But are you going to have problems when you need to remove a tire for some reason?
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 am

tandem54 wrote:That looks like a nice lift, But are you going to have problems when you need to remove a tire for some reason?

◦Removable front and rear sections for easy wheel removal

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 am

I've given this some more thought after reading some reviews that I Googled. Don't think it's the lift I would buy. It's too narrow. Remove a wheel and you need to support the bike with a scissor jack. And with no platform you are dropping things into the channel track.

For a smaller bike than a Goldwing it may be okay.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

sulli
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1500

Postby sulli » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am

Buying a lift was the best thing I ever did. There are a lot better lifts out there for the money. I purchased a Titan Lift model 1500-XLT and the dealer shipped it right to my house. Easy set-up and a real body saver on the knees and back. Should have done this years ago! The lift is very well built and the best for the money through my research. They have lots of different models available. I went with the quick detach kit and Bulldog Chock version. I remove the chock and park my truck right over the lift. You should check out Titan Lifts, I found them on the web.

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:24 am

Here is another interesting option. Very much like the center post lifts that most automotive shops use now. No table, but lots of access.

I do not have one of these, but if I were shopping it would be strongly considered.

http://lifts-and-stands.com/index.php/eazy-rizer-red/motorcycle-lifts/eazy-rizer-big-blue-lift-detail.html

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:55 pm

SKMURDOCK wrote:Here is another interesting option. Very much like the center post lifts that most automotive shops use now. No table, but lots of access.

I do not have one of these, but if I were shopping it would be strongly considered.

http://lifts-and-stands.com/index.php/eazy-rizer-red/motorcycle-lifts/eazy-rizer-big-blue-lift-detail.muhtml

A lift like that might be nice, but I can't see paying that much for something I don't use much.
If I were going to repair or work on a lot of bikes I would buy one for sure!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 am

And then there are guys who won't bend over to pick up a washer.
Attachments

84Wing_New_York
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby 84Wing_New_York » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:57 pm

sulli wrote:Buying a lift was the best thing I ever did. There are a lot better lifts out there for the money. I purchased a Titan Lift model 1500-XLT and the dealer shipped it right to my house. Easy set-up and a real body saver on the knees and back. Should have done this years ago! The lift is very well built and the best for the money through my research. They have lots of different models available. I went with the quick detach kit and Bulldog Chock version. I remove the chock and park my truck right over the lift. You should check out Titan Lifts, I found them on the web.

I totally agree with your opinion about the "Titan 1500". I just purchased it's younger brother, the "1500 Electric." It works great, and provides options to lift my lawn tractor, and neighbor's 4wheeler as well. I like the 1500lb rating and it appears well built. I agree size does matter in some things, but the quick disconnect of the optional side rails, and easy to raise/lower castors makes it easy to roll out of the way when not in use. I debated over the 1000lb version, and the electric over hydraulic pump options, and decided to roll in this years and next years birthday/Christmas presents into one and go for what I wanted. I'm being told I no longer have any excuse why the rear rim and undercarriage is not as shiny as the top, since i don't have the excuse of having to crawl around on my knees and back to get the job done. I applaud those of you who found options less expensive, and still effective.

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Postby Phunnybone » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:54 pm

I bought the one that Harbor Freight puts on sale a lot - "reg price' listed as $599-699. Lowest I've seen it (and what I bought it for) is $299. One hell of a lot better than trying to use just a jack and still being on the floor.

Return to “Tech Talk”