How do I put the sidelights off during the day

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
maurice99999
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing SE
2002 BMW K1200RS

How do I put the sidelights off during the day

Postby maurice99999 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:13 am

Have a 1997 Goldwing SE with a ton of extras lights in the trunks, side fairing, ring of fire etc. Most of the aftermarket lights plug directly into the existing wiring. As I have so many extra side lights it's embarrassing having them on during the day. I would dearly like to to fit a switch so I could turn all the side lights off including the original one that come on when you switch on the ignition.

The headlights / indicator / brake lights are on a separate circuits so they will continue to work.

I'm guessing there is one wire somewhere on the bike where I could insert a switch to keep all the side lights off during the day. If I pull the fuse I lose the instrument gauges and ignition lights as well.

Anybody know where I can find a common wire to insert a switch and take control of all the sidelights. I add that I’m not worried about voltage or currant load usage. This is purely a personal preference that I would like to be less conspicuous during the day and seen like a Christmas tree at night.

Anybody got an electrical diagram to share for this bike?

Ta for responses.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: How do I put the sidelights off during the day

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 am

maurice99999 wrote:Have a 1997 Goldwing SE with a ton of extras lights in the trunks, side fairing, ring of fire etc. Most of the aftermarket lights plug directly into the existing wiring. As I have so many extra side lights it's embarrassing having them on during the day. I would dearly like to to fit a switch so I could turn all the side lights off including the original one that come on when you switch on the ignition.

The headlights / indicator / brake lights are on a separate circuits so they will continue to work.

I'm guessing there is one wire somewhere on the bike where I could insert a switch to keep all the side lights off during the day. If I pull the fuse I lose the instrument gauges and ignition lights as well.

Anybody know where I can find a common wire to insert a switch and take control of all the sidelights. I add that I’m not worried about voltage or currant load usage. This is purely a personal preference that I would like to be less conspicuous during the day and seen like a Christmas tree at night.

Anybody got an electrical diagram to share for this bike?

Ta for responses.

I would start with finding the fuse box, and on the cover or next to it you just may find the function of each fuse.That way if found being a accessory your on the way.
Hope some one can lead you too that Electrical diagram...of coarse you can always order one on line, but it does cost $$

WA9FWT Phil

capnfred
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade, 84 HD FXRDG custom, 92 Aspy

Postby capnfred » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 pm

Not a technical question, just a comment.. you said that "you did not want to be conspicuous..... well having lived over 60 40 of them in the saddle, I want to be as conspicuous as possible so some cager cannot say, "I just did not see the motorcycle." He usually says this as the guy he did not "see" is loaded on to a stretcher and taken to the hospital. To that end I have as much light on my bike as is legal.. headlight modulators, driving lights, brakelight modulators, etc, If it was possible to have an electric suit that lit up I would have one... so be conspicuous and don't give the cager that opportunity. JMHO

Ride safe... Live to ride and ride to live

Capn

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

capnfred wrote:Not a technical question, just a comment.. you said that "you did not want to be conspicuous..... well having lived over 60 40 of them in the saddle, I want to be as conspicuous as possible so some cager cannot say, "I just did not see the motorcycle." He usually says this as the guy he did not "see" is loaded on to a stretcher and taken to the hospital. To that end I have as much light on my bike as is legal.. headlight modulators, driving lights, brakelight modulators, etc, If it was possible to have an electric suit that lit up I would have one... so be conspicuous and don't give the cager that opportunity. JMHO

Ride safe... Live to ride and ride to live

Capn

I agree. I've got a lot of lights all over my bike, including a headlight modulator and a brake light flasher. I want to be seen!

maurice99999
2002 BMW K1200RS

Postby maurice99999 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 am

Hi Guys and thanks to all who responded.

I do have the headlights on at all times plus extras brake lights with a flashing module. What I don't want is the ring of fire, side lights in the trunks, mud flap and side fairing etc.. There has to be one or perhaps two live feeds to this circuit that I can tap a switch into and take control.

As mentioned the fuse controls more than one circuit. It includes the gauges and some ignition lights. I opened the fuse box and there is only one heavy white colored wire on this fuse. Hence it splits somewhere further up the loom.

I fear it's time to invest in the genuine Honda wiring manual as I don't want to start randomly snipping wires starting at the ignition.

gnarlyroad
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby gnarlyroad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am

To Capnfred. These will light you up and get peoples attention.
http://www.electricplanet.co.uk/categor ... ts/1/title :lol:
Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 am

Love it! Wish we had those years ago, when I was young and wouldn't look like an idiot wearing one. :)

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

Talking about lights. " Head light Modulaturs" Do we have to have a light sensor devise in the system to be Legal ?
Other words to shut of the blinking head light when it gets dark. The reason I ask is, I have found a modulator that will work manually at considerably less money. Sold here in WI for $45.00. All I have to do is when it is dark, is to make sure i turn it off

I'm always looking for ways to save ,but should I purchase and still be Legal ?

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Federal statutes are very strict - they must have a sensor that automatically turns the modulation off when ambient light is below a certain level. Read section f:

This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108 (see copy below). Here is a web page with all of Part 571 and all of the subsections; they've now broken it up by section to make it easier to read. The Legal Information Institute at Cornell University also has a nice website where you can read the various sections of the entire Title 49 USC.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999
Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]
TITLE 49 TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER V NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 571 FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

maurice99999
2002 BMW K1200RS

Postby maurice99999 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Hey guys you are hijacking me with talk of a headlight modulator. On the positive I have ordered the workshop manual and a cd of all wiring diagrams with components location. No I should be able to solve the problem. I will post my results here.

But on the modulator. I took out the headlight unit (1997 wing SE) drilled two holes in the sidelights and put in strobe lights. No way you miss these suckers. They are white so can’t be considered police issue - although cars do tend to pull out of my way very fast.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 pm

maurice99999 wrote:Hey guys you are hijacking me with talk of a headlight modulator. On the positive I have ordered the workshop manual and a cd of all wiring diagrams with components location. No I should be able to solve the problem. I will post my results here.

But on the modulator. I took out the headlight unit (1997 wing SE) drilled two holes in the sidelights and put in strobe lights. No way you miss these suckers. They are white so can’t be considered police issue - although cars do tend to pull out of my way very fast.

Sorry about the side track Maurice 99999. but you better read the above too about Headlight Modulators. I'm always trying to find ways to make short cuts, and save.But I see It woun't be on this one. If I would have done my home work, I would not have had to ask.When you do get your problem solved on those lights for sure, let us all know just what you did!!

WA9FWT Phil

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:36 pm

maurice99999 wrote:Hey guys you are hijacking me with talk of a headlight modulator. On the positive I have ordered the workshop manual and a cd of all wiring diagrams with components location. No I should be able to solve the problem. I will post my results here.

I think you may be missing one thing. You mentioned that you want to turn of the after market lights. This means you will be at the mercy of the person that installed them. They may most likely didn't refer to any wiring diagrams. Even if they did you may have to spend a lot of time locating where they tapped into the existing circuits. Then again you just might get lucky and that person actually knew what he was doing and made it simple.

maurice99999
2002 BMW K1200RS

Postby maurice99999 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 am

I wish to thank everyone who responded. The matter has reached a conclusion. I purchased the official Honda manual and a wiring CD for the Goldwing. The CD proved to be a 16 bit program limited with information and useless to my needs. For the record the title is “61MAM00-CD - Official 1995-1998 Honda GL1500A/I/SE Electrical Troubleshooting Manual CD “

The manual was perfect. On investigation I identified that the front light circuit is directly connected (looped) with the dashboard lights and unfortunately this includes the oil warning, neutral light and reverse light.

The second problem was that some of the rear lights have dual power feeds as many bulbs house brake and running / side lights.

After identifying and cutting two wires (one under the left glove box and the other under the passenger saddle I was left with important dash lights missing and some lights still glowing on the rear trunks.

So I reconnect the wires and surrender. However I do now know how to rewire the bike lights but it is simply unfeasible to do so.

Again thanks to all who contributed.

Return to “Tech Talk”