Removing Wheel Bearings '83 Interstate

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
colemadad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Removing Wheel Bearings '83 Interstate

Postby colemadad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 am

The 3/4" bolt trick just isn't doing it for me - maybe I'm too tentative with the sledge hammer or something else - I just can't get the bolt to "bite" the bearing. I've cut it in the cross pattern, as opposed to the single slot, and drive a punch as hard as I dare but just can't seem to make it work. So the question - what tool can I buy that is designed for the job - I may just get somebody to take it out for me but I hate to quit trying yet... I haven't found a bearing puller locally that was small enough to pull the 3/4" and 1/2" bearings.
Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Removing Wheel Bearings '83 Interstate

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 am

When I did it, the first couple times I couldn't get it to work either, and the reason was that I was being too gentle with it. The only thing you're going to hurt is the old bearings, and they're getting tossed anyway.

Make sure the slot cut in the bolt is long enough to allow the bolt to bend outwards!

I put the wheel on the cement floor of my garage, so that the bolt head was resting on the cement floor. I then took the screwdriver, pushed it into the slot in the bolt, then just slammed away at it with a 5 pound sledge until the screwdriver absolutely wouldn't budge - it felt solid. Then, I lifted the wheel up vertically, and while holding the screwdriver in place with my left hand (so it wouldn't get banged out), I gave the bolt head several solid hits with the sledge hammer. A couple times the bolt would slip out without taking the bearing with it, but after making sure the screwdriver was in REALLY tight, the bearings popped right out.

colemadad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: Removing Wheel Bearings '83 Interstate

Postby colemadad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

I'll give it another shot. There's no doubt that I have it the back of my mind that if I hit the punch/screwdriver too hard it could expand out and somehow bugger the wheel but I guess really, the inner race should give way before anything like that could happen. I'll give it another shot and let you know...thanks.
Don

Return to “Tech Talk”