rough idel

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
trucker37

rough idel

Postby trucker37 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 am

Hey,I am new here and i need a little advise I have a 1996 gl1500 aspen it was idleing ok until I used gum out to clean air jets on top of carbs.I also sprayed a brass looking valve located to the rear left corner of air filter housing not sure what it is called but might have caused it to start skipping. it smooths out about 2000 rpms any advise on this. any ideas?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: rough idel

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:34 am

First thing I would do is to go get a can of Seafoam (you can get it at Napa, and I think even Wal-Mart carries it now). Put at least half a can into your nearly-empty gas tank, then fill the remainder with gas. Putting extra Seafoam in (more than they recommend) will not hurt anything. It will run like hell until it is all burned off, but it will clean out varnish, gum, or anything else that's in there that may be causing your problem. Some people have to go through two tanks of it. I make it a point of running a can through my tank once a year.

It's a simple fix - and if it fixes your problem, you're done! If not, then you can start looking at other things - but the fact that the problems started when you used the gum-out tells me that Seafoam should get you fixed.

trucker37

Re: rough idel

Postby trucker37 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm

well I have put sea foam in already maybe that is the problem. it still has not run all of the sea foam out yet. I just added another half a can to it last fill up.

Return to “Tech Talk”