Can HID's cause Radio in 1998 GL1500 to blow.

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Can HID's cause Radio in 1998 GL1500 to blow.

Postby Eboness » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Had my radio sent to Sierra Electronics for repair as it stopped working. They replaced some diodes and transducers in the power supply circuit. This fixed it.
Re-installed the radio and tried it before starting the wing. Worked great. Then started the wing which took and few cranks but did start and tried the radio again.
Damn dead again, but this time could hear noise coming from cassette deck. Looked inside the unit and could see the eject system cycling. I finally removed the
back up fuse #13 inside the relay box and the cassette stopped doing the eject cycling. Called Sierra Electronics this morning and told them my problem again and was
asked if I have HID's. Yes I do and he said they have had problems with GL1500's with HID's as when you start the bike it can send a high voltage spike into the radio.
He said they have had a customer who's had his radio in 4 times for the power supply repair and they say it was because of his HID's. I'm not doubting this being the problem
but could someone explain to me how this might cause my radio issue, using HID's? I know they produce high voltage to get the light started, and I can see maybe this
would cause my radio issue. Thinking about when my radio first went on the fritz I had just installed my HID's.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Ride safe.

Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Can HID's cause Radio in 1998 GL1500 to blow.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Eboness wrote:Had my radio sent to Sierra Electronics for repair as it stopped working. They replaced some diodes and transducers in the power supply circuit. This fixed it.
Re-installed the radio and tried it before starting the wing. Worked great. Then started the wing which took and few cranks but did start and tried the radio again.
Damn dead again, but this time could hear noise coming from cassette deck. Looked inside the unit and could see the eject system cycling. I finally removed the
back up fuse #13 inside the relay box and the cassette stopped doing the eject cycling. Called Sierra Electronics this morning and told them my problem again and was
asked if I have HID's. Yes I do and he said they have had problems with GL1500's with HID's as when you start the bike it can send a high voltage spike into the radio.
He said they have had a customer who's had his radio in 4 times for the power supply repair and they say it was because of his HID's. I'm not doubting this being the problem
but could someone explain to me how this might cause my radio issue, using HID's? I know they produce high voltage to get the light started, and I can see maybe this
would cause my radio issue. Thinking about when my radio first went on the fritz I had just installed my HID's.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Ride safe.

Interesting. While it is certainly possible, this is the first time I've heard of this actually occurring. What kind if HID lights do you have in your bike?

If the ballast is not well shielded or design, it's possible that it could send spikes backward through the bike's power bus when it starts up (and yes, they do a sudden, heavy draw when they first start up). You could mitigate this by installing a choke on each ballast's power supply wiring, which would help suppress sudden power spikes. A choke is a toroid coil - a ferrite core with wires wrapped through it in a specific way:

It doesn't affect smooth DC current, but clamps down hard on sudden changes in current.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 pm

What size/specs would be for a toroidol coil? Would a capacitor assist in also smoothing out the spikes, and if so, where would you put it?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:48 am

You can tune the coils/toroid to the pulse, but you'd have to know what the pulse is first - mainly its frequency. A capacitor *might* help, but again you'd need to size the capacitor to the pulse, and it would not have quite as good an effect as the toroid. You could put both on there at once - I've done that before.

It would be interesting to see just what the HID ballast is putting back in terms of a spike (or a dip) on the power bus. Are your HIDs connected to your battery, or running off the OEM headlight wiring?

Eboness

Postby Eboness » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am

Hi WingAdmin, The HID's are the ones you guys recommended from SolCalmotogear, so they are the plug and play units.
Power is coming from the OEM wiring. Could I measure the spike with a digital multi-meter with the radio removed, and if so
how and where? You understand I mean the radio plugs and while cranking the engine over. You might be on to something
with the toroid idea, and I'll give that a try. It's interesting though that many GL1500 owners have installed these HID's from
this supplier and I have not heard of this issue before. Granted each GL1500 would have different accessories and different
power requirements and even different ages of electrical equipment which would cause different power pulses, also I have a Compufire alternator. The cassette thing
with removing the #13 fuse in the relay box is interesting that it stopped the cassette from running in that eject loop as I was told
that fuse was only used for radio station memory and clock memory and that the radio power is coming through #10 ACC fuse. Also I didn't
realize there are sizes of triodes. Again thanks for the help. You can realize that I don't want to keep blowing the radio and then sending
it to Sierra every time this happens so finding the cause is critical.
Take care and ride safe.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:55 pm

I did a little research and found some other people with similar problems, except that the HIDs were blowing computers in their cars - expensive!

It is a massive instant draw of current that the HID ballasts make at the instant they turn on - upwards of 20 amps, for a brief instant.

One proposed circuit used to filter the pulses uses a schottky diode and a series of capacitors. The diode prevents the capacitors from draining back into the bus, and the capacitors provide the buffer for the HID ballast's initial startup demand:

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 pm

These most likely can be purchased through Jameco Electronics. 50,000 uF of capacitance should be able to capture any spike.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:44 am

Hi WingAdmin, The HID's are the ones you guys recommended from SolCalmotogear, so they are the plug and play units.
Power is coming from the OEM wiring. Could I measure the spike with a digital multi-meter with the radio removed, and if so
how and where? You understand I mean the radio plugs and while cranking the engine over. You might be on to something
with the toroid idea, and I'll give that a try. It's interesting though that many GL1500 owners have installed these HID's from
this supplier and I have not heard of this issue before. Granted each GL1500 would have different accessories and different
power requirements and even different ages of electrical equipment which would cause different power pulses, also I have a Compufire alternator. The cassette thing
with removing the #13 fuse in the relay box is interesting that it stopped the cassette from running in that eject loop as I was told
that fuse was only used for radio station memory and clock memory and that the radio power is coming through #10 ACC fuse. Also I didn't
realize there are sizes of triodes. Again thanks for the help. You can realize that I don't want to keep blowing the radio and then sending
it to Sierra every time this happens so finding the cause is critical.
Take care and ride safe.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19804#ixzz2n8qtcycR

You don't say if you used a relay or not and if you wired it so that the HID's stay off until there is Oil pressure like Wingadmin did his. I have a set of HID lights on my '98 that were purchased through Cyclemax and wired them with a relay that is operated by the oil pressure sending unit. This configuration works well.

That being said, I also have a set of HID's on my GMC and it does cause a spike in the system when they are turned on. I have noticed that the spike is most prevalent when the engine is first started. If I delay about 30 seconds before turning on the lights, I don't get an indication that there is a spike.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:46 pm

If you haven't done so, I would strongly advise AGAINST using the stock wiring for HID lights. If you can wire them directly to the battery, they will cause a lot less interference and do less harm to other electrical circuits. The standard wiring loom is not great for high current demands and HID's put a lot of demand when first turned on. Wiring them directly to the bike's battery (maybe with a relay to disable them until the engine has started (as per wingmans setup)) would be a much better solution, but it is much more work than just plugging into the old wiring loom.

Gary

Eboness

Update: Can HID's cause Radio in 1998 GL1500 to blow.

Postby Eboness » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Folks, Well my HID lights versus radio frying has come full circle. Just to recap.
1. Installed HID kit for GL1500 from SoCalMotoGear.
2. Radio stopped working.
3. Sent radio to Sierra Electronics for repair.
4. Re-installed radio…fried again.
5. Sent radio back to Sierra Electronics for second repair and was told this has happened
to three other people with GL1500 with HID kits installed, they have worked on.
6. Contacted SoCalMotoGear and they where not sure what the problem was as only one other
person has reported this issue to them.
7. Sierra said this time radio completely dead, nothing they can do.
8. Bought a used radio from e-bay and shipped it directly to Sierra for aux modification and radio inspection.
9. Received new radio Friday and installed it today, but not before removing HID kit.
10. Everything works great, my tunes are back and all radio features work. Also stock headlight works.

I want to be fair to SoCalMotoGear as they have been very keen to solve this problem and to be honest I
find it hard to believe that it's their product that is at fault, mostly because they have sold over 250 kits to
GL1500 owners and they all don't have this issue. I can only think that a unique set of circumstances happens
with each GL1500 that has this issue and that the product is actually very good and well worth buying. It just so
happens my wing is the exception and I can't use the HID plug and play kit. I know it would be nice to figure out
why this happens to only a few GL1500's but we may never know, or at least till someone with lots of time
and electrical experience figures it out.
So there you have it, I'm one happy camper now, oh and so is the wife and we even went for a short ride together
after the work I did and it's so nice to listen to our favourite jazz tunes on our Nano iPod.

Ride safe everyone.
Modify message

Return to “Tech Talk”