Trailer Hitch Recommendations?

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
jlsdcen2
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Trailer Hitch Recommendations?

Postby jlsdcen2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:36 am

I recently purchased an 1800 Gold Wing with which my wife and I are planning to do vacations with. At this point I do not plan to purchase a trailer, but I would like to put a hitch on it so that I can mount one of those “trailer hitch racks” to haul our excess cargo (tent, camping supplies, etc.) My question for you all is what type of trailer hitch does everyone seem to prefer. I am mechanical and would like to be able to mount it myself if it is simple. What are the pros and cons of the different brands? Are there any that I should stay away from? Thank you to all in advance.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Trailer Hitch Recommendations?

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:07 am

Kuryakyn makes the most expensive one, and it is an excellent hitch, however, a direct knock off can be found through an ebay search, and is manufactured by Americasbesttrailers - it is about 60% of the cost of the Kuryakyn. If you go to WingStuff, you can find probably one or two others, but a close examination of the pictures of some of them show their lack of quality and torsional rigidity. I have the hitch from Americasbesttrailers, and I did buy it through ebay. There are a lot of "beware" posts on other forums on the trailers, due to some paperwork that some states will not accept, but that should not affect a hitch purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing- ... ea&vxp=mtr

I guess he also calls himself pull-behind-motorcycle-trailers
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:08 am

The Americasbesttrailers trailer hitch is a good hitch and the mounting is identical to the Küryakyn, they even tell you to view the Küryakyn You Tube video for installation instructions.

It has worked well for me but, when I purchased a rack for cargo, I was less than pleased when the rack would not slide up into the draw bar mount. The rack had the "standard" 1-1/4" post and I had made the assumption that the trailer hitch also had the 1-1/4" receptacle. I was wrong. The receptacle will only accept a 31 mm square post. The 1-1/4" post is exactly 1/32 larger than the hole it was supposed to go in. I had to grind down the post.

One of the chapter members here also bought one, on my recommendation, before I had learned that the draw bar mount hole was non-standard and his is identical to mine. Same small hole.

All of this is not a show stopper, but you are limited in what you slide into the hitch. 31 mm square tube is very hard to find. Just resign yourself to grinding or milling down whatever 1-1/4" post you decide to use with that hitch.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 am

MikeB wrote:when I purchased a rack for cargo, I was less than pleased when the rack would not slide up into the draw bar mount. The rack had the "standard" 1-1/4" post and I had made the assumption that the trailer hitch also had the 1-1/4" receptacle. I was wrong. The receptacle will only accept a 31 mm square post. The 1-1/4" post is exactly 1/32 larger than the hole it was supposed to go in. I had to grind down the post.

Hey Mike, good info. I had intended to buy one of those cargo racks. Who manufactured the one you bought? Was it Kuryakyn? Aside from the grinding, are you happy with it?

ImageImage

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm

I bought an Add On rack from Ebay from Northwest Motorcycle Accessories http://www.ebay.com/usr/nwaccessories in April of 2012. It was $95 with about a $12 shipping charge. To be honest, I have not used it yet but I intend to this summer. There are lots of styles and sizes of racks available. This one suites my needs.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks Mike. Add On also makes some good accessories for the Goldwing bikes. I shall look their catalogue up.

ImageImage

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Postby cihilb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:07 pm

The two best hitches for the 1800 are Rivco and Bushtec. Both use a full 4 point MAIN frame mount. The others use a two point frame or rear engine guard mount and the saddlebag subframe. All the weight of the trailer is transferred to the saddle bag frame. The Rivco and Bushtec put the weight on the main frame under the seat.
A little harder to install and more expensive, but these two are the best.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”