New owner!

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

New owner!

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:36 am

Hello all,

Currently owner of two Honda bikes. One is a 2006 Shadow Aero 750 and my most recent purchase is a 1996 GL1500SE. Just picked it up yesterday. Unfortunately the weather is bitter cold and too cold to ride. Looking forward to putting many miles on her.

One question I have is when I got the bike home (trailered it) and tried to start it she was smoking pretty good. Didn't do that when we started it in the PO's garage. I let it idle for a couple of minutes and tried to shut the choke off but then it died. I suspect that it's just too cold for the bike and that I didn't let it warm up enough before turning choke off.

This looks like a great site with a lot of valuable info. I'm a member on the Delphi Shadow Aero 750 forum as well.

Steve

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Re: New owner!

Postby Breakdancer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Hello Steve, and let me be the first to welcome you to this site. Sorry I can not answer your question, however, there seems to be an infinite amount of knowledge that comes from this site. I don't post often, but I have found it to be invaluable. Would be lost on my bike without it. WingAdmin does a most excellent job!! Also you will find that the members here will go out of their way to help others. And they have quite a sense of humor also!!!
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm

It is very common if a gold wing is left on it's side stand that a little bit of oil seeps past the rings and into the cylinders on the left hand side, this burns of as soon as the engine starts and does not seem to do any harm. If it really bothers you, just park the wing using the center stand. If it smokes for more than a few seconds then you have another problem. I suspect the bike has just been sitting on it's side stand for a long time and the oil got past the rings.. Nothing to worry about.

And welcome to the best wing web site out there!! :lol:

Gary

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Thanks Gary. Looking forward to learning lots about my new ride.

I'll hold my worries then until it's warm enough to really put it to the test.

Steve

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks breakdancer. Appreciate the welcome. I got home last night and fired her up. It didn't smoke a bit. I suspect that maybe it was smoking because of the trailer ride. Maybe that was her way of complaining about being on a trailer. LOL

I have to figure out how to post a reply to an individual on this forum. It's got a little different format than what I'm used to.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:10 am

Steve,
I believe to post a private message, you just click on the persons' user name. That will put you in "Viewing Profile", then click on "Send Private Message". Also, when you click on any of the links in the "Forum" column, a bar will come up with("User Control Panel", ( new messages ), View your posts ). Hope this snow melts soon. It's flippin' 7 degrees here this morning. And breezy. It's not going away today. I heard 50's by Sunday. Oh ya...

Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Return to “Tech Talk”