• Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Interior trunk lighting...

Postby Mh434 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:13 am

I found that the interior of the trunk on my GL1500 was needing some lighting. I looked at all kinds of different ways to do it, but I wasn't happy with the majority of them. Finally, I stumbled across a set of Pilot "LED Flexi-lite" Pilot brand, part # 041-6040-0...although my Google-fu can't find them on the 'net by that part number - (it appears to have been succeeded by part #CZ-177W), and they looked like they'd fit the bill. There are two to a package (cheap, too!), peel-'n-stick mounting, waterproof, and can be cut if desired.

Interestingly enough, the packaging includes a "Try Me" button & a box to power it. These items are intended to be simply discarded, but I couldn't resist looking inside the little black box. Inside were 10 AG-13 type batteries - the same type I had just paid $5 each for to rejuvenate my digital calipers! Okay, a 5-year supply is mine now! Plus, the switch is a really nice momentary push button unit that I'll certainly make use of.

Of course, I couldn't just be satisfied with simply having a nicely lighted trunk. I had to have the lights come on when the trunk is opened, and turn off when it's closed! I looked at many different ways of doing this, most of them unbelievably complicated. Finally, I stumbled across something in my old box of electrical bits and pieces - a Radio Shack magnetic reed switch, like the ones for security alarms (i.e., door contact switches). The beauty of these is that no mechanical operation is required - when a magnet is near the switch, it turns the circuit off. When the magnet is moved away, the circuit is live again.

I stuck the reed switch under the overhanging lip of the main part of the trunk, at the top edge on the right side. Then I mounted a small right-angle piece of metal (screwed to the underside of the trunk lid, using the existing screw that secures the wing on top of the lid), and just stuck a dime-sized rare-earth magnet to it. The metal angle piece was fabricated from some cast-off steel banding, used for bundling lumber. No need to glue the magnet on - it has a tenacious grip to the metal bracket, and it will NOT move.

Anyway, here's a brief video... 8-) Sorry it's a little crappy - cell phone video...

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Interior trunk lighting...

Postby MikeB » Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Great job and excellent post.
I did something similar but used three strings of lights that I bought from Oznium http://www.oznium.com. They are as good and as reasonable at furnishing LED strips as Super Bright http://www.superbrightleds.com LEDS.

Since I always have my trunk luggage bag in the trunk, I needed light on both sides as well as on the front of the trunk wall. The reason being, when I open the trunk luggage flap, it would cover the set of lights on the forward wall.

I also added a strip of LEDS to each saddlebag while I was at it. The mercury switch supplies power to them as well.

To turn the lights on and off, I used a Mercury Switch that I found on Ebay. They are quite reasonably priced and they ship from Cleveland, Ohio so transit time is relatively short.

They sell for $7.47 with free shipping. If you need more than one, they have a set of five for $29.99 with Free Shipping.
Ebay Item numbers are 110782756227 and 110465889203 respectively.
Attachments
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 am

I did the same thing, on the trunk and both saddlebags. I tapped into the power for the bike, and used the "NC" side of a SPDT reed switch to control it. I used these LED strips, which are REALLY REALLY bright.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 pm

I switched mine by tapping the earth wire from the lights into the bikes existing micro switches on the top box and panniers locks
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 am

I wish there were switches on the Gl1500's bags & trunk, but unfortunately there aren't. It sure would have been easier that way! MikeB, above, had a great idea with the mercury switch, IMHO. I've since ordered some on EBay (5, for around $3 including shipping), as I figure on lighting up the inside of the bags, as well, now. :roll:

Return to “Tech Talk”