How to free up a starter sprague clutch

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

How to lubicrate a stuck sprague clutch

Postby eklimek » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 am

Flinstone garage method. Drain oil and fill with solvent.
Attachments

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: How to lubicrate a stuck sprague clutch

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 am

Hey whatever works!
You got nothing to loose.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat May 31, 2014 8:43 am

I never thought of that.... WOW --- just WOW.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 am

The previous owner was quoted $2,200 to fix.

Paint thinner and xylene filled above level of starter chain.

Kill swithch off, plugs out, bike vertical. Spin starter. Battery willl not drain acid with gas tube forward facing.

I did not drain gas tank and noticed no leakage. Maybe should have drained tank?

If in doubt fill further through blowby pipe on left of engine.

Recharge battery.

Don't forget to change oil and filter.

eklimek

How to free up a starter sprague clutch

Postby eklimek » Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 am

The sprague rollers are high and to the left rear of the engine. Lubrication is marginal and in old low mileage Goldwings they tend to hang up and the starter spins without effect. If the rollers are rusted I doubt the following trick will work. But if it's just sludge, this takes about 2 hours to do and might save an otherwise big bill.

The concept is to immerse the sprague mechanism in solvent while spinning the starter.

Oil drained, filter replaced, fill above fill line with solvent. I used paint thinner and xylene because it was at hand.

Remove spark plugs, turn off kill switch. Turn off gas.

Solvent should be above level of starter chain with bike vertical. If in doubt fill additional solvent through blow by tube. Note the level in the oil examination window on the right hand side drops as the bike is raised vertical.

Hanging from engine guards
Hanging from engine guards

(Pictures are rotated 90 degrees and I am not sufficiently technically adept to correct orientation)

Turn engine over repeatedly. Don't know how many times is too many. I recharged my battery after ward.

Drain solvent and fill with cheapest 10-30 available to flush solvent. Follow with complete oil change with oil of your choosing.
Attachments

eklimek

Re: How to free up a starter sprague clutch

Postby eklimek » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Follow up.

Two months and 1,000 kilometers later things are good. No apparent bad effects after this method. Starter engages.

Varsol and xylene were used because they were in the shop and on hand. I suspect other solvents would work.

Not sure if I posted it but I changed the oil and filter 3 times immediately after this treatment before it stopped looking like cafe au lait.

Return to “Tech Talk”