Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Kingston
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda 919
1998 GL1500
1919 Indian PowerPlus (bought new)

Bleeding front brakes- help

Postby Kingston » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:20 pm

I'm using a vacuum bleeder to no avail. When I started there was some air bubbles and when they stopped coming I tighten the bleeder valve. The master cylinder always topped up and still there is no resistance when I apply the brake lever (a little in the last ½ inch). Even with the vacuum bleeder, can there be any air left in the caliper?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Bleeding front brakes- help

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Have you tried bleeding without the vac. bleeder? I've never had to use one on my Goldwing.

You are aware that the front left and rear brake are linked? Only the right front wheel caliper is operated by the brake lever. The left front is operated by the rear brake lever. When bleeding the left front bleed the rear wheel brake first.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Kingston
1998 GL1500

Postby Kingston » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 am

cbx4evr wrote:Have you tried bleeding without the vac. bleeder? I've never had to use one on my Goldwing.

You are aware that the front left and rear brake are linked? Only the right front wheel caliper is operated by the brake lever. The left front is operated by the rear brake lever. When bleeding the left front bleed the rear wheel brake first.

I'm working on the front right. I have tried it without the pump.
The Clymer service manual says when working on the rear system, bleed the left front first then the back. I don’t know what the difference would be. But first I want to get the front working.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 am

Try taking the caliper off and, with the bleed nipple open and your bleed tube on it, squeezing the pistons back into the caliper making sure the bleed nipple is the highest point on the caliper. Refit caliper and pump lever ( making sure you keep the reservoir topped up), once the pads reach the rotor, hopefully you should have a good brake.
If not repeat the above but when the Pistons have been squeezed back pump the lever and check for air bubbles.
It is unusual but not unknown for the seal in a master cylinder to let air into the system on its return stroke instead of sucking fluid out the reservoir.

Sid

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 am

Kingston wrote:
cbx4evr wrote:Have you tried bleeding without the vac. bleeder? I've never had to use one on my Goldwing.

I'm working on the front right. I have tried it without the pump.
The Clymer service manual says when working on the rear system, bleed the left front first then the back. I don’t know what the difference would be. But first I want to get the front working.

On just about any brake set-up they tell you to start bleeding the caliper that is the furthest from the master cylinder.If it were me I would go ahead an do the back if you've done the front and if that doesn't do it go back the front and start over.If then you can't get a good brake and are still seeing bubbles then either the master or the calipers are sucking in air when they're on the return stroke.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Kingston
1998 GL1500

Postby Kingston » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:27 am

Just letting the 100 plus viewers know that the problem is solved. Yesterday we spent over an hour manually bleeding the caliper. No bubbles came out but the brake lever was still very spongy. I then pulled the lever in and tied it to the handle bars and left it that way over night, to see if there was any leaks in the system. This morning I untied the lever and the brakes are now good. The air in the system must have risen to the master cylinder when the leaver was pulled in.
Now I will start on the rear braking system, I hope it goes easier.

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:03 am

In the future if this problem reoccurs, ya can bleed the master by cracking the banjo bolt loose on it while the handle is squeezed... Then tighten it and release the lever (much like you would do on a bleeder screw)... Within a couple times you will usually get the air past the master cylinder and be able to proceed with normal brake bleeding process...

Return to “Tech Talk”