Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Ethanol! Yes or No?

Post by suvcw04 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 pm

branson0319@att.net wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:48 pm
I have been using 87 octane with 10% ethanol for years in my 1500 and now my 1800 have never seen the difference in the way the bike operates using 91 octane VS 87 octane gas mileage the same and runs as strong in my mind .. Do use a stabilizer in the winter when the bike is stored.. .. Guess it is more preference than anything else
Alcohol has fewer btu's than pure gasoline. To get the same gas mileage would mean the laws of physics that govern the know universe would have to be altered. You may not NOTICE the difference, but both Einstein and Hawking would assure you that it is there.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 111,980 miles

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:25 pm

my '02 gets a bit better mpg on pure gas than it does on E-10,

but, the slight increase does not come close to warrant the extra cost of pure gas...

around here, it is typically 35 to 50 cents/gallon more than E-10
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat, but remember... the reason ethanol is cheaper is because it is Government Subsidized. So every time someone tops off with E-anything, that is money out of YOUR (and my) pocket. I cringe when I see someone grab the yellow E85 pump nozzle.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Post by suvcw04 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 pm

landisr wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm
Sorry if this is a repeat, but remember... the reason ethanol is cheaper is because it is Government Subsidized. So every time someone tops off with E-anything, that is money out of YOUR (and my) pocket. I cringe when I see someone grab the yellow E85 pump nozzle.

Ron
RIGHT. And . . . what you "save" at the pump costs you at the grocery store. Check the ingredients on the food in your home right now. Over half of it will list corn or corn sugar (dextrose) as an ingredient. The cost of which is inflated by using FOOD (corn) to power your cars and bikes.
Some economists claim it costs more to produce a gallon of alky than what it should sell for, hence, the government (tax money) subsidies. It also takes MANY GALLONS of water to produce a gallon of alky, and creates more air pollution. Gasahol is NOT a good deal for your pocket or for your lungs.
Ask any motorcycle manufacturer what they think about 15 % fuel. They will disallow fuel related warranty claims if you use 15% alky fuel. 15% is bad, but 10% is good? Kind of like being a little bit pregnant.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm

The UMTEEN-MILLIONS who have complained about ALL the many detriments of E-Fuel means nothing, yet a small hand full of protesters will bring down history (eg; statues).

Basically ethKRAPanol is a collusion of several entities, and NONE of those entities share the windfall wealth. That windfall should be going towards the Nations Deficit.
EH, but then, I'm talking common sense.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Since this thread has been resurrected I will point out that puregas.org can help you find fuel with no alcohol.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I've been using non-ethanol gas for about 4 years in my 1997 GL1500. My reasoning was simply an aversion to putting alcohol in a 1997 vehicle, given it's corrosive, hygroscopic, and solvent nature. I run blended when I have to due to availability problems, but I'd say 95% of my fuel is alcohol free. I don't like paying the additional cost, but there is certainly an MPG return on the investment. Recently, I started putting it in my Mustang and Expedition, just for observation purposes. I noticed, in particular, the Expedition seemed to benefit by about 2 mpg increase in mileage. That's 10 mpg to 12 mpg average. There is nothing scientific or exactly measurable about my observations, because variations in climate, gas supplies, and driving variations per tank of fuel (trip lengths/aggressiveness on the throttle) all play a part in fuel economy. And, a 20% increase would seem to fly in the face of science and BTU's. BUT, given my observations, I am going to continue using the non-ethanol fuel in all vehicles, even with the added cost, as the per mile cost of fuel when figured out, is simply no different than using the cheaper stuff. $2.50/gallon E10 = $.25 per mile @ 10mpg. $3.00/gallon non-ethanol = $.25 per mile @ 12mpg. AND, I'm certain the engines will be happier burning what they were designed to burn, as well as all the rubber hoses, seals, and metal parts exposed to the fuel. The economy of using non-ethanol hold true across all vehicles.