Gas tank rust

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
1200Doug
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Gas tank rust

Postby 1200Doug » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 am

The gas tank on my 86 Gl1200 looked bad- no severe scale, just rusty. I was advised to remove it, use phosporic acid to clean it. I did so and was left with a few areas that prob need a longer soak.

I had thought to use a coating like por-15 but was concerned it would clog the pickup screen and tube. My intention was to just fill it with gas and let the petrol fumes keep oxygen to a minimum and thus stave off future rust.

Then i met a guy who said i better re-line or get another tank. So i found a good used tank with just one spot of rust in the bottom. I went ahead and soaked that tank in apple cider vinegar because i didnt want to destroy the factory lining.

All kinds of junk came out so i left just a cup of the solution in the bottom assuming the rest of the tank would be fine. I had it in a small room with a large dehumidifier running. There were stains on the walls of the tank i thought were from the crap that had been knocked loose but not rinsed out.

2 days later i dumped the remaining apple cider vinegar and washed it through but its a mess. Rust everywhere.

So off to walmart and putchased 6 gallons of white vinegar. Its been 2.5 days and theres a lot of rust. Its slowly turning black but seems like new places are rusting up. Its crazy.

What am i doing wrong? Now my original tank looks better!!

Is apple cider vinegar too strong? Was the factory lining on its way out? Can i por-15 the tank without clogging the pickup tube (i read one account of the brass screen turning to "glass" afterwards. Should i just use my original tank without a lining?

It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Re: Gas tank rust

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:41 am

Mine had some blemishes in it, I just put gas back in it and rode it. If it's not leaking, and the particles won't clog the inlet screens, the fuel filter will clean the rest. Change it often for a while. I use an aftermarket filter I can see into, and relocated it to a couple inches before the pump. I can look down and see it. I would NEVER put any sealer stuff in it. Radiator repair shops can often weld leaky tanks, but it sounds like yours is not. Just ride it. A lot! Life's too short to worry about it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 am

12 years ago I used Por-15 on my 76 tank. It still looks just like it did then. If you follow the instructions to the letter you won't have a problem. Everything you need to complete the job is included in the kit. Including a cleaning chemical which is the most important step. It didn't clog the tubes or the screen. If you are concerned about clogging the tubes you can run something through them from the petcock side to prevent blockage. Just pull it out before the Por-15 sets up completely. I would recommend it and use it again on any other tank.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:40 am

Excuse my sidebar but: you mean to tell me Honda went from a poly (plastic) 1981- 1983 Wings fuel cell back to a metal tank on 1986 Wings?

From a tank that can't rust unto a metal one that can?

Seems bassakwards to me.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 am

Check out a product called Evapo-Rust.
I've used it on tools and it works better than anything else I've found.
It's reusable, non-toxic, no smell & biodegradable. You can get it at most auto stores and even Harbor Freight.
It gives instructions on the back label to just "pour some in, rotate the gas tank every hour until rust has been removed. Drain completely and rinse with water. Air dry and fill with gasoline immediately to eliminate flash rust."

YouTube review

Comment off manufacture site:
"Hello! Our vintage moped club, the Motor City Riot, in Detroit, Michigan, often comes across some rusty, rusty parts. From old Puchs to Motobecanes, to Vespas, we find many of these bikes, many sitting in garages and barns for the past 30 years, absolutely caked with rust — all over the chrome, motors, gas tanks, cylinders, wheels, etc. We heard about Evapo-Rust from a friend, and we bought five gallons of it for our shop. We were skeptical at first (in the past, having used vinegar, muriatic acid, and all sorts of dangerous, non-disposable chemicals). However, we were blown away by the results. All sorts of components came out looking practically as good as when they left the factory in the 1970s. Some of our members have produced museum-quality restorations with the aid of your product. We love it so much that we have a saying around the shop — “In Evapo-rust, We Trust.” Keep up the awesome work!"
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

1200Doug
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby 1200Doug » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:40 pm

My error! The vinegar was fine. What i thought was new rust was just the rubber expansion plug in the fuel sender hole degrading.

After several rinses in hot water the tank looks pretty good. So i dried it and shot in some wd-40 and crankcase oil to keep it from rusting. On the shelf of parts it goes.

I then turned my attention back to my original tank. I had already picked up the Por-15 motorcycle gas tank kit. If anyone's curious its silver in color.

Before pouring in the epoxy and just after the metal etch/zinc coat phase i shot conpressed air back through the internal fuel line. Glad i did it sent out a plume of what i guess was zinc dust.

I also used compressed air to make sure the fuel line and brass screen inside the tank remained clear after epoxy was run around. Again this was done by shooting quick bursts from the petcock hole into the tank.

You must remove the excess epoxy from the bottom. Pooling can turn into a problem later. I used a turkey baster to get rid of excess as there is no low spot in the 1200 tank with an orifice to evacuate the excess.

Now i wait.... 4 day cure time.

One morr note: theres a small hole near the top of the filler neck. The epoxy nearly blocked this so i used a broken toothpick and needle nose pliers to pierce the aperture before the epoxy set up.
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:34 am

All goldwings from 1975-2000, gl1000, gl1100, gl1200, and gl1500 are metal gas tanks.
Honda went to the plastic gas tanks on the gl1800 starting in 2001.

maintainer wrote:Excuse my sidebar but: you mean to tell me Honda went from a poly (plastic) 1981- 1983 Wings fuel cell back to a metal tank on 1986 Wings?

Seems bassakwards to me.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:01 pm

newday777 wrote:All goldwings from 1975-2000, gl1000, gl1100, gl1200, and gl1500 are metal gas tanks.
Honda went to the plastic gas tanks on the gl1800 starting in 2001.

maintainer wrote:Excuse my sidebar but: you mean to tell me Honda went from a poly (plastic) 1981- 1983 Wings fuel cell back to a metal tank on 1986 Wings?

Seems bassakwards to me.

Yes I know that now after checking. I tried to delete my post but couldn't. This is my first old Wing and my tank was so pretty maybe the P.O.repainted satin black. It totally looked plastic. :)

1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Return to “Tech Talk”