How does my CB work ?


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
canoodle
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade

How does my CB work ?

Postby canoodle » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:52 pm



Hi
Just acquired my first GW-1985 Aspencade with CB radio- how on earth does this thing work ? - I remember all the 10-4 good buddy lingo from the 80's- but how do you actually communicate with this thing. Went through all the channels ( with handlebar control) lots of static on each channel, but no "voices"
Guess CB might come in handy in case of emergency etc-so curious to know how it actually works.
Thanks guys.



User avatar
tfdeputydawg
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:36 am


User avatar
newday777
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby newday777 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:23 am

No voices- might not be anyone talking close enough to receive them. These cb radios don't have a long distance range. Depends where you are located and if anyone is on.

Do you have the headsets in your helmets or a hand held mike? You need one or the other to talk on it.

canoodle wrote:Hi
Just acquired my first GW-1985 Aspencade with CB radio- how on earth does this thing work ? - I remember all the 10-4 good buddy lingo from the 80's- but how do you actually communicate with this thing. Went through all the channels ( with handlebar control) lots of static on each channel, but no "voices"
Guess CB might come in handy in case of emergency etc-so curious to know how it actually works.
Thanks guys.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:39 am

You need someone to talk to, to begin with. :) Pretty much the only people you'll find on the CB are truck drivers, and for the most part, they stay on channel 19. Go for a ride on the interstate, or especially near a truck stop, and you'll hear people talking on channel 19. Keep in mind the range of a the CB on your bike is 1-2 miles at most.

User avatar
NVSB4
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:22 am

I've never had a CB on any motorcycle and haven't had one in a car since the mid '70's.
My Interstate doesn't have one and just added it for the sole purpose of communicating with other riders when on a group ride.
They all use one of the low channels to communicate with each other about turns coming up, potholes, breaks, etc.

I'm taking a long trip soon by myself and will probably listen to the truckers for road conditions.
Otherwise, the music stays on.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Image

Image
Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 am

NVSB4 wrote:I've never had a CB on any motorcycle and haven't had one in a car since the mid '70's.
My Interstate doesn't have one and just added it for the sole purpose of communicating with other riders when on a group ride.
They all use one of the low channels to communicate with each other about turns coming up, potholes, breaks, etc.

I'm taking a long trip soon by myself and will probably listen to the truckers for road conditions.
Otherwise, the music stays on.


They don't really talk about road conditions much. Mostly about traffic, and upcoming speed traps. Either that or just mindless chatter to pass the miles.

canoodle
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby canoodle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks guys-if I had a hand held mike where would it plug into ? and if helmet speakers plug into same place ?

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby newday777 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm

http://wingstuff.com/products/34019-j-m ... -gold-wing

Into the headset leads and another spot (I haven't installed one, probably the push to talk connector)

canoodle wrote:Thanks guys-if I had a hand held mike where would it plug into ? and if helmet speakers plug into same place ?

User avatar
PastoT
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Mt Home, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: How does my CB work ?

Postby PastoT » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:31 pm

External mic comes with an adapter that connects directly to the front headset pigtail and replaces it (its a plug n play extension basically). There is an additional two conductor wire that you snake back through the shelter to the PTT connection under the seat just behind the relay box and cross member. Once install you can plug in either the external mic or your wired headset not both; this is a work around if you use wireless headsets.

On a side note I have the external mic as two of my helmets are UClear wireless. These helmets receive bike audio from a transmitter connected to the audio out wires I connected to in the front headset pigtail. As these headset mics are always on I get audio feedback when I key the external mic for the CB... I have a wired headset I use when traveling alone and desire to use the CB.


Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Image


Return to “Tech Talk”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest