HF lift platform

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

HF lift platform

Postby Dogsled » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:01 am

I keep reading about these lift platform from HF, but actually from anyone. What do you do to the bike that merits having this big thing in your garage taking up floor space. With this thing strapped down properly, you can't remove anything and leave that monster unstrapped in the air. I have a roll under frame jack that takes it high enough to drop out the back wheel and easy to work on the engine with my roller around seat. I got bad knees and this works fine

Nobody had (or needed) one til they came out on American Chopper... But these guys were building bikes from scratch....Heck even my local Honda dealer doesn't have a platform jack. I just saw the monthly newsletter and there was an article on it and I been meaning to find out why a person would need one of these.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: HF lift platform

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:16 am

You make good points.
But, if I had a lot more money and a lot more space, I would probably have one.
I can see it beneficial to have as it would be a lot more sturdy and secure while up in the air than on a jack lift.
It also provides "shelf space" for tools to be easier within reach.

I commented on another post earlier today about lifts and platforms that I was planning on building a wooden platform similar to the one Littlebeaver made in that post.
The only thing I would change is making it in sections to be able to remove ones for better access.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm

I have the hydraulic/pneumatic version from HF and love it, I use it all the time to work on my dirt bikes and project bikes. It makes changing the rear wheel on the 1800 wing easy as you don't have to remove all the bodywork, the rear wheel drops out the bottom through a removable section on the jack. It takes up space on the floor, but I always park a dirt bike on it, so it really isn't taking up much more space than the dirt bike would have occupied if it wasn't on the jack. Unfortunately after 5 years the seal on the hydraulic jack is leaking so I need to change that soon. But for the money they are great and at my age (>50) it really saves my back by not having to be bent over a bike to work on it..

Gary

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:12 pm

I've never had a stability problem with the jack. to pull a tire I stack 2x8's under the other tire to accept the weight loss. pull the rear bags/wheel and work on the rear end all at a comfy level. Plus, I can push it around the garage with the bike on it, I've never even strapped it down. I work longer sitting down and push myself over to the toolbox if I forgot something (now that's lazy), the stool on wheels is an indespensible tool, the hydraulic pedestal also gives a wider variety of working height
I bought one of those small HF shop carts on wheels to put my tools in, I can move it where the work is. When I'm done I push it over to my big tool boxes and clean and put the tools away. I wasn't trying to say they're useless, I was just asking what you use it for? I try to envision it at the level the lift would put it and can't find anything at that height that needs fixin.

I have more problems with workable lighting than anything when working. I need a lighting tree with 20 flashlights on a gooseneck and stand where I can move each light where I need it....PLUS, they don't get hot. It gets dark inside that Wing :lol:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:36 pm

I forgot to mention, like Dogsled, I have never strapped any bike to the lift, I put them on a center stand or paddock stand, clamp the front wheel with the wheel clamp on the jack and then raise/lower as needed. I also move the jack around (My floor is epoxy coated cement, so very smooth) and the jack moves easily and I have never been concerned for stability, even with the goldwing on there.. Once I did remove both wheels at the same time to fit new tires, and I was worried for it's safety, but that was the only time it had me worried. they really are very useful bits of kit..

Gary

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Great minds think alike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey are you from the UK???? They're the only ones that say things like ' A useful bit of kit' :D

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 pm

I can do without a lift. I am constantly amazed at posts from newbies that have just bought a lift to do some work on their bike, as if it couldn't be done without one. Seems to me that a person would be constantly raising it and lowering it to get to different areas, that could cause vertigo! With early retirement and a non-scheduled day, I need the exercise. Center stands are awesome and two $10 jacks will work on a V-twin. Cardboard is nice to lay on. Those cardboard trays that canned food is shipped in are handy for tools, hardware and parts, and makes tool pickup time go real fast and easy. A plastic 5 gal. bucket makes a nice seat and tool and parts bench. Those old metal office chairs with casters that people put out to the curb for free are nice too. There should be warning stickers on those lifts, "Caution, This Lift Will Make You Fat and Lazy". Not having a lift gives me a nice six pack and arms like Popeye's.

Scott

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:09 pm

mrtwowheel wrote:I can do without a lift. I am constantly amazed at posts from newbies that have just bought a lift to do some work on their bike, as if it couldn't be done without one. Seems to me that a person would be constantly raising it and lowering it to get to different areas, that could cause vertigo! With early retirement and a non-scheduled day, I need the exercise. Center stands are awesome and two $10 jacks will work on a V-twin. Cardboard is nice to lay on. Those cardboard trays that canned food is shipped in are handy for tools, hardware and parts, and makes tool pickup time go real fast and easy. A plastic 5 gal. bucket makes a nice seat and tool and parts bench. Those old metal office chairs with casters that people put out to the curb for free are nice too. There should be warning stickers on those lifts, "Caution, This Lift Will Make You Fat and Lazy". Not having a lift gives me a nice six pack and arms like Popeye's. Scott

Scott, luckily we live in a free country and are each entitled to our options.
My wife (a psychologist) says "that's why there is vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream. So everyone can find something they like."
I know that just about everything can be done with the bike on the center stand and I've done just that for a majority of the 45 years that I've owned them.
I got tired of my old knees hurting and it getting harder to get up, so I went to something similar to a bucket. To move around easier, I bought a little wheeled stool with a parts tray on the bottom. Now I'm considering a raised platform to not have to bend over as much.

There are some that when the bulk and weight of our Wing gets too much, add "training wheels". The step after that is to trade two wheels for three.
Each of us has to adapt to our situation. The primary thing is that we continue to work on our bikes and all love to ride.

I'll continue to do what I can, how I can, for as long as I can. I can't imagine the emptiness of not being able to ride.
Of course, these are just my opinions.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Dogsled wrote:Great minds think alike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey are you from the UK???? They're the only ones that say things like ' A useful bit of kit' :D

Yes I am originally from Northampton in the UK, but left there 30+ years ago, have since lived in the south of France, Germany, California, Texas, Washington state (Not DC) and now back in Texas!!

Gary

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Dang Mrtwowheels, what do you do, bench press your bike?????????? Sounds like you could make a 'total body Goldwing excercise video'... ........ :lol:

But like NVSB4 said to each his own.

But my original question was just, what do you do with it once it's up in the air with the wheels still touching the base.... Just curious....

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

I watch tv car shows and can't understand half the stuff they say......KIT is a popular word for something too. I guess it's like losing a german or spanish accent. Don't they say the same stuff as UK peeps in Canada too?

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:24 pm

All I can say is...if I could scrounge up the space for one of those lifts, I'd have one!

p.s. - I'm the one who had his GL1500SE topple off several jacks & jack stands a couple of weeks ago. Bike turned over so far that the windscreen was bent up against the floor :o , and my biggest jack ("Black Max" trolley jack) was trapped under the bike :roll: ! Now, if I'm lifting the bike for tire change etc., I suspend it from above with my 2-ton engine hoist, just to be certain it can't fall again. I'd LOVE to have one of those hoists!!

Also - being a born-'n-bred Canuck, I, too, use the term "nice piece of kit". Pretty common saying, hereabouts...

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:36 am

GEEZ, were you working on it when it fell.....that would be scary..... as long as you didn't crack the bonnet (I really got no idea what that is. ;) ) Glad you didn't get hurt.

See that's what i'm saying, we're not talking about a hoist, we're talking about a raised platform where your bike is literally like being on the ground but 2 feet higher or is that what you're calling a hoist?

An engine hoist is a good idea, but if you raise the back high enough to slip the rear wheel out, how do you stabilize the front wheel on the ground and the bike from flopping, or do you just pick up the whole bike...you'd need one heck of a beam to hold that up.

I love watching 'wheeler dealers' on TV, keeps me in the nick.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

No, I was at work when it happened. One of the jacks failed (the rear end was a good 2 feet in the air, with the whole rear end removed from the bike, as I had removed the rear wheel, differential, and driveshaft for service), and the whole thing toppled over. I got a panic call from my wife, as our dog had gone into congestive heart failure, so I raced home as fast as I could. Of course, the dog is precious to us both, and I was in deep despair...it didn't help when I went to pull into the garage, and there was the bike, crashed onto its side (well, even further over than that), having landed on top of the saddlebags I had carefully put off to one side :roll:

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to pick it up again. Without a rear wheel etc., it couldn't simply be righted, and the only jack I own that might have been useful for this was under the bike, with the frame pinning the jack handle down. The "cherry picker" was my salvation. I was able to lift the entire bike in the air, then construct a bit of a platform to set it back down on. One of the HF-type lifts would have prevented the whole mess, and made the job a doddle!

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 pm

OMG...................NOT A DODDLE!!!!!!!!!!!

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:54 pm

I still can't imagine jacking up the bike without strapping it down to something.
I've had too many close calls pushing it forward off the center stand to not strap down if it's raised.

thrasherg wrote:Unfortunately after 5 years the seal on the hydraulic jack is leaking so I need to change that soon.

My HF jack stopped working as well, but I've read that the bottle jack piece is easily replaced, so I'll have to do that soon.
Even when I used it with a smaller bike, I still put straps on it.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:39 pm

I took in a Polaris ATV for "whatever it needs". This thing was kinda short, everything lower than a MC. Three days later, and, I'm kinda sore. But, hey, that was a great workout.

Scott

Return to “Tech Talk”