Info on tire age

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Info on tire age

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 am

I am up on how to tell the date of manufacture of new tires. My question for the tire gurus is this. If I were to buy tires at some of the suppliers while they are on sale, how many months would it be safe to hold off installing them on the bike? Would 6 months be too long? There are some great tire sales and while I don't need them now, come spring I would like to change them. Let me know some good info on storing and waiting to install them. Also, any tips on storing or any don'ts about storing.
Thanks in advance!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Info on tire age

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:40 am

It depends on the age of the tire when you get it, and how long your tires usually last. If you get the tire and it is a year and a half old, but you typically only go through tires once every three or four years, I might think twice about letting it sit for another six months.

As for storing tires:

- Make sure they are clean. If they're new, this shouldn't be an issue.
- If they come in plastic bags, keep them this way. That will keep things like ozone etc. from degrading them.
- Don't hang them or otherwise do anything that applies pressure to the bead (the inner edges) of the tires.
- Freezing is OK. Hot temperatures (i.e. in an attic) is not so OK. They should be kept indoors if at all possible.
- Keep them out of the sun. Throw a blanket or tarp over them if needed.

Return to “Tech Talk”