Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Honda head gasket quality.

Postby chrisz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi all,

I have been looking for another car for my daughter, and have been considering a Subaru (2009 and newer), but have read many complaints about their head gasket leaks. The Subaru having a boxer engines I was surprised that HG were an issue for many years (ans still may be). Subaru has started using a coolant conditioner to help remedy, but this seems temporary at best. However I haven't heard of many head gasket issues on Honda Goldwings. Some (mine 1983 included) have the original head gaskets and are running well, what makes the Honda so much better?

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Honda head gasket quality.

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:42 pm

I realize that folks are more likely to talk about problems than successes. My son had a Subaru Legacy that had 230,000 miles on it when he traded. I have had two Subaru Foresters with no engine problems.

You might also want to contact or read further about the Subaru in Consumer Report. As I recall they have a good reliability rating.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 pm

I've owned three Subarus. All three had excellent, powerful engines. One of them (with an automatic transmission) had transmission problems. The other two were excellent (one automatic, one manual).

They aren't the greatest when it comes to gas mileage, thanks to the drivetrain.

As for head gaskets...I have a feeling it's down to engineering of the engines and Honda's knowledge of engineering the correct gasket to fit in the application. Perhaps its knowledge that it wants to keep up its reputation for reliability, so it doesn't skimp on gasket materials and thickness.

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Postby chrisz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:13 pm

harvey01 wrote: You might also want to contact or read further about the Subaru in Consumer Report. As I recall they have a good reliability rating.

Ok, you made me look at Consumers Reports, unfortunately I can't cut/past here, but the 2009 Impreza which what I was looking for is very dismal. Worst than average reliability, major issues with engine, transmission, exhaust, brakes, body integrity and paint trim. It gets better the newer the vehicle is.

I guess some folks get lucky.

Thanks for the input.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:44 pm

I've never liked the fact that the holes in gasket for the water jacket are smaller and protrude into the path of the water. Maybe it's nothing. I have had one set of after markets fail and replaced with OEM from Honda, but couldn't see any difference in them. The OEM ones did not match the openings well, same as aftermarket one. I asked and others opined that it wouldn't matter. Seems like flow would be better with them open, and less likely to have small pieces get torn off and float through oiling system.

I will check my block surfaces more carefully this spring, but I think I'm going with copper gaskets and a compression ring. If the block is uneven, I'll know it wasn't the gasket or gasket makers fault.

Return to “Tech Talk”