Best oil

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
manofallseasons
Motorcycle: 1987 Aspencade

Best oil

Postby manofallseasons » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:54 am

Don't know if this is the place to ask, but just what would be the best oil for my 1987 Aspencade. I need to change it and wonder if it could use a special oil for older bikes (about 67,000 miles on it). Also, does anyone have a preference as to the best brand of oil filter? Thanks. Dean

Get out and enjoy nature!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Best oil

Postby harvey01 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:07 pm

I tend to prefer the manufacturer's filter and oil which in this case would be Honda. When I had a Yamaha Venture with a cartridge oil filter, I did use fram as they were easy to get and cheap. I did use Yamalube in the Venture.

I may pay a little more using the Honda filter and oil but since I buy the oil by the case or gallon, and the filters in packs of 10, the price is really not that bad.

I would suspect the Honda GN4 oil would work great in your Wing.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks for the advice! :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 pm

I wouldn't use Fram filters in my lawn mower (if it used filters). At one time they were great...not so much anymore.

I use Honda filters on my bike, and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Guess I'll have to make the long trip to the Honda dealer. Thanks.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Fram 6009
Wix 24940
Purolator ML 16808
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks for your input! :)

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 pm

stay within the specs as the manual says, use a motorcycle specific oil, and you are good to go.

be little wary of full synthetic oil as it can in some cases cause seal leaks in the older motors, (been there) although I found that a semi synthetic whichs works fine

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 am

Honda manuals recommend Honda 4 stroke oil or equivalent SE or SF. You can safely use any oil you want as long as it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" in the round label on back of the oil container. Change it on a regular basis. Most guys I know use 3000 miles as their change interval.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks. I'm going to try to pick some up tomorrow after our snowstorm is done here. ha! But the season is coming soon!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 am

Really, there is no best oil, and no best filter, however, there are worst of both, and as WingAdmin mentioned, Fram filters fall into that category. As was also mentioned, motorcycle specific oil, without friction modifiers, will fit your application. They should have a JASO MA indication on the label. Stay away from oils that say Walmart, or Bestoil, or Greatoil, or no name oils that you can buy at a corner store. Honda dealerships will absolutely have adequate oil, and if you want synthetic, they have that also. Other than that, any major brand oil that is for wet clutch motorcycles will do just fine.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 am

I'll bite the bullet and make the long trip to the Honda dealer for my stuff (after the snowstorm today). Thanks! 8-)

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:20 pm

manofallseasons wrote:I'll bite the bullet and make the long trip to the Honda dealer for my stuff (after the snowstorm today). Thanks! 8-)

Order it online... I mostly use WingStuff or Cyclemax but there are others... or generic Amazon or Ebay... Wing Staff and Cyclemax allow you the get quarts, gallons or more... Factory filters, singles, bulk, etc... I don't have a nearby Honda Dealer...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Big Bee
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
1988 Honda Elite 250

Postby Big Bee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 am

A lot of discussions here amount to personal preference. Being an older bike, the key thing is if you can, find what kind of oil has been ran through it. If it is a conventional oil, pick a good brand name and stay with it. Don't switch to a synthetic if it hasn't been ran through it before. NEVER use a high mileage oil, because of its additives. The same goes for filters. You can buy a good quality filter a your local parts store or Walmart for less, and you don't have to drive a distance as I do just to get to a dealer. And I agree don't buy a Fram.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks for all the great replies. I ended up making the long trip to the Honda dealer and spent some time dreaming over all the new Wings. :) Dean

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:54 pm

I ended up making the long trip to the Honda dealer and spent some time dreaming over all the new Wings. :) Dean

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=31985#ixzz42T7jwHtM

You know that when the new bikes are in the show room, they are highly infectious, and you can come out with more than a 5 litre pack of oil :shock:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Hahaha, must be like a sort of Wing Virus that attacks at first sight. Apparently the only cure is being broke. 8-)

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 am

I don't mind knocking a product that doesn't work, but I am very wary of condemning a product without facts that back it up. I have read arguments that K&N air filters are not safe and right in this forum I read that Fram filters are no good. Where is the info on the engine failures caused by either one. Or the info where either one actually improves performance.

Sort of like the guy a while back selling very expensive spark plugs, he could argue all day about them being better for this reason or that, but he never presented facts from a reliable source such as the SAE showing where they helped performance.

Like everyone I have read repeated accounts about how bad Fram oil filters are but if they are really that bad, how have they managed to stay on the market. The Yugo was not a sales success because it did not work. Things fail in the market place if they don't get the job done.

I do urge manofalseasons to look into the various online sellers. It is so easy to have the filter and oil delivered directly to your door and even on hand if you have the storage space.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 am

harvey01 wrote:I don't mind knocking a product that doesn't work, but I am very wary of condemning a product without facts that back it up. I have read arguments that K&N air filters are not safe and right in this forum I read that Fram filters are no good. Where is the info on the engine failures caused by either one. Or the info where either one actually improves performance.

Sort of like the guy a while back selling very expensive spark plugs, he could argue all day about them being better for this reason or that, but he never presented facts from a reliable source such as the SAE showing where they helped performance.

Like everyone I have read repeated accounts about how bad Fram oil filters are but if they are really that bad, how have they managed to stay on the market. The Yugo was not a sales success because it did not work. Things fail in the market place if they don't get the job done.

I do urge manofalseasons to look into the various online sellers. It is so easy to have the filter and oil delivered directly to your door and even on hand if you have the storage space.

Many years ago, Fram were amongst the highest quality filters you could buy. That was many owners ago. They are now manufactured using the absolute cheapest materials, to meet the absolute minimum standards required by car/bike manufacturers. They are more marketing than substance.

If you do a search on the Internet, you will find many, many articles written by people who do oil filter teardowns. They show things like the fact that the amount of filter media contained (in terms of square inches and number of pleats) in Fram filters is consistently the lowest of any manufacturer, that their end caps are made from cheap cardboard rather than steel like every other manufacturer, that their bypass valves are extremely cheaply made, and the anti-drainback valve frequently does not work.

Use any filter you please, it's your engine. As a kid, I used Fram filters on all my vehicles, because it's what my dad always told me was the best. Today, I wouldn't use Fram filters on my lawn mower.

Here's one, for instance:

http://www.boefabrication.com/index.php ... -tear-down

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow, you guys blow me away with your great comments. I am a total putz about any motor parts and the most I have ever done is change an oil filter and air filter on a vehicle (which I can't even do anymore on my cars like I could many years ago). I do like to ride and wish I knew more about vehicles and how they run, but I thank you for all the enlightened info. Even in your disagreement I am learning a lot. 8-) Dean

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:54 pm

On another note having to do with my oil change, whomever did the oil change last did not use a washer and O ring and tightened the bolt SO tight that I had to use a vice grips to get it out, ruining it. My new one is on the way in the mail. BUT, just how tight should the bolt be tightened when I use the O ring? I do not have a torque wrench. Thanks! Dean 8-)

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:59 pm

manofallseasons wrote:On another note having to do with my oil change, whomever did the oil change last did not use a washer and O ring and tightened the bolt SO tight that I had to use a vice grips to get it out, ruining it. My new one is on the way in the mail. BUT, just how tight should the bolt be tightened when I use the O ring? I do not have a torque wrench. Thanks! Dean 8-)

common sense tight, is all thats required on the bolt, tighten it until it there is no movement, give it a nick up, that should do it. its the O ring that does the work to stop any leaks. when replacing the O ring, dip your finger in the new oil, and run it around the ring, this will help seat the ring in the groove when putting the cover back on. I'm sure you are aware, but just in case, there are two lugs on the side of the cover, that need to line up each side of a lug, situated on the motor, to the right of the cover.

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:02 pm

One more question though. Does the O ring go on before the washer or after the washer. I'm thinking the O has to be closest to the pan but I'm not always right. haha Thanks! Dean

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:21 pm

manofallseasons wrote:One more question though. Does the O ring go on before the washer or after the washer. I'm thinking the O has to be closest to the pan but I'm not always right. haha Thanks! Dean

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... MP%20COVER

manofallseasons

Postby manofallseasons » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Got the part with the filter already but have an O ring and washer for the drain plug. That's the one I was wondering about. I did a search on that link you sent but nothing came up for 1987 Goldwing oil drain plug. Maybe I asked for the wrong info. Oh well, I'll figure it out. ha Thanks for being patient. Dean 8-)

Return to “Tech Talk”