Slight front wheel wobble

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Slight front wheel wobble

Postby walker70 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:20 am

Hi again,when I say slight wobble I mean this only happens at around 25 to 35 mph and not all the time,I have thought of the usual things such as rough roads,tire out of balance, loose wheel bearings or wrong air pressures,anyone have any other things I might look for,I have had a few people tell me that these bikes can have an odd wobble at times but that does not seem like a true answer to me,thanks. :D

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Slight front wheel wobble

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 am

Check your steering stem bearings - repack and adjust them.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:19 am

My 1500 develops this same 25/35 mph wobble. I have rebuilt and serviced everything in the front and rear to alleviate the wobble. Even adjusting the steering head bearings using a set of scales to measure the fork movement pressure. A new set of rubber will stop the wobble for around 5k miles then it starts all over again. I guess I don't know the answer either.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dglsjns
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1998 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby dglsjns » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:14 am

In the past I experienced front tire wobble on my GL1100 and Gl1500. When a new front tire was installed the wobble problem went away, however over time it would generally return and get worse as more miles were put on the tire. I found the front tire tread was cupping, the reason I believe was caused due to under inflation. The term "cupping" as it applies to tires means you have uneven wear on the tires surface. Over the past 10 years I have been inflating my tires to the max pressure shown on the tire manufacturer's (Dunlop) website. For example, for a GL1100 Honda recommends 32psi for the front tire, on Dunlop's web site for Elite III they recommend 36psi max (4 lbs more). I've found maintaining the max tire pressures recommended by Dunlop has reduced the wobble issue, keep in mind as the tire nears the end of it's life you will still likely experience some front tire wobble.

To determine if your front tire has cupping, in a low light area shine a light from the side of the tire and look for variation in thickness of each tread block between each tread groove, this is the area about 1 to 2 inches to each side from center line of the tire. In my case I found the each tread block would be thicker on the leading surface and become thinner towards the rear of the tread block.

Regards,
Doug

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:10 am

Thanks for all the info,while I have my bike torn down I am going to check the steering stem bearings,and check the front tire closely,my 84 nighthawk700sc had developed a wobble at about 55 mph and I had just had a new front tire put and then found out it had a defect in it so had a new one put on and never had the problem with that bike again,hopefully this will be a simple fix on the Goldwing. :D

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:53 am

If everything else checks out OK(forks, bearings, etc) and it remains, check the rear also. I know it sounds weird, but oft times a rear bearing, wrong torque axle, etc. can cause an issue at the front. If all else fails, try the ceramic balancing beads. If the tire is already cupped, there's not much else you can do.On my 1500 , I run 38# in my front radial(yeah, I know it's supposed to be a bias) with beads, and there is no wobble and it sticks like glue. I run a radial rear tire in the rear also @ 48# (darksided). I get my beads here:

http://www.tirebalancebeads.com/

Great customer service and really low prices.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey,thanks minimac,I never thought of the rear tire being a possible cause,I should have because even tho this did not happen any of my bikes I did have a dodge van once that had a front end issue that was caused by the rear suspension on it. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm

walker70 wrote:Hey,thanks minimac,I never thought of the rear tire being a possible cause,I should have because even tho this did not happen any of my bikes I did have a dodge van once that had a front end issue that was caused by the rear suspension on it. :D

The front end wobble on my GL1100 ended up being caused by too much free play on the rear wheel, because the swingarm pivot pins had been installed backward. Once I removed them and installed them properly, the swingarm free play went away, and so did the wobble/weave problem.

walker70

Postby walker70 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:21 am

Thanks wingadmin,I will check the swingarm while I am putting things back on,now I need to see if any one on here might have a photo of the carburetor hoses on the underside,I forgot to take photos of some of the hoses,kind of a newbie mistake,I know where most them go but have a couple that I cannot see how they go,I looked on here under the how-to articles,but did not see anything,I will take a photo of what I mean. :?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I was going to suggest the swingarm but WingAdmin beat me to it! The only time that I have had the " Death Wobble" which is what it would be at hi-way speeds, was with cupping in the front tire. The tread looks fine, but for some reason it starts to cup and once it starts, nothing you can do but get a new tire. The swingarm bushings do wear out and can cause the rear to move under torque so will also change the front dynamics. Hope that helps, let us know. Ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “Tech Talk”