Drain carbs for winter storage, or just add Stabil and keep carbs full?

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
busdriver
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Re: Drain carbs for winter storage, or just add Stabil and keep carbs full?

Post by busdriver » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Stored wet.
Started with Stabil then later moved to SeaFoam. 10 years now and no issues.

5m0k3y
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
2000 Harley XLS1200S

Post by 5m0k3y » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 am

I was sure I needed to rebuild the carbs on my gl but due to time and financial constraints I didn't get around to it this winter, the bike did however sit 8+ months with a large amount of Lucas Deep Clean fuel system cleaner. The bike has never run better when I took it out for the first time this year a week ago. No more hesitation, smoother idle, and I don't always need the choke to start it now. I had run an entire can of seafoam through the bike, followed by an entire bottle of berryman b-12 chemtool, and lastly the lucas deep clean to avoid having to remove the carbs. My average mpg before putting it in to storage was 27 with rough idle and hesitation on acceleration still happening, running off of the fuel it had from last year yet I got 32, and I just filled it for the first time this year so im hoping for a bit more from fresh fuel.
Im not sure if the lucas deep clean is supposed to be a fuel stabilizer, I threw away the bottle after using the remainder before storing it so I would have to check next time I see one. It just worked out that I didn't ride it any more last year before winter and that's how it got stored. Its a happy accident for sure, but may help someone else having similar issues.

rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Post by rockford75 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am

All I know is that Ethanol gasoline is the worst thing you can put into a bike. When I park my bike for the winter,I put in a full tank of gas and stabil. I run it for a few and shut it off as well as turn the gas off. This spring I went to clean my fuel filter I couldnt get the fuel line off of the petcock. It was on there so tight I broke the Petcock trying to get the fuel line off. What a bummer that was. I also make sure I change the oil before parking the bike for the winter.
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 am

FYI:
On my 1500, fuel from the tank to the carbs takes around 3.25 miles of normal speed (50-ish mph) in 5th gear.
I've never tested in different gears and speeds.

This info is just to let you know it does take a while for fresh fuel to get the the carb bowls.
If you're not riding for long periods like a winter layover, plan on at least a 5 mile run. ;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm just as confused as I ever was. Maybe that's no surprise. But I can never seem to get a straight answer. Maybe I'm missing something. Let me know what you think.

I asked the following question on Sta-bil's question/answer link:

"When using STAY-BIL 360º Marine, will adding more do a better job? And if so, how much more can be added without doing harm?"

The reply was:

"All you need to add is the suggested treatment amount: 1oz for every 2.5 gallons of fuel."

That didn't coincide with instructions on the product. So I contacted Sta-bil's customer service for confirmation. I stated:

You're saying 1 oz. for every 2.5 gallons. That would be 4 oz. for 10 gallons. Yet I'm also seeing, on the product, 1 oz. for up to 10 gallons. Which is it? Can I put in too much? I have a 5 gallon tank on my motorcycle. Would I put in 1 oz.? Would I put in 2 oz? Are the supposed benefits of adding STAY-BIL 360 Marine enhanced significantly by adding more product to the fuel than specified? And if so, how much more can be added without doing harm.

The reply from customer service was:

If you are using STA-BIL360® Marine™ Formula:

1. Fill the fuel tank as much as possible.
2. Add .5 oz. (half ounce) of STA-BIL 360® Marine™ to your motorcycle’s 5 gallon tank. This will preserve the fuel for at least 12 months.
3. Run the engine for about 5 minutes to ensure that the entire fuel system is treated or coated.

We do not recommend adding too much over the dosage amount because this formula is already concentrated.

There ya go!.............................Dave :?
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Dave,...
That Stabil answer sounds like a computer generated auto reply, I'm getting more of those the past few years.

I guess businesses are tired of talking person to person. Understandable after "X" amount of time the questions are repetitious but it's still good to get ALL your questions answered.

Another thing I'm noticing. You send in asking 2 or more questions, they only answer one question and it's almost always the first question. They totally ignore the rest of the email/message.
To me it's getting so futile, I may as well just send one question per email/message.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.