U GOT VAC HOSE LEAKS? My fix.

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

U GOT VAC HOSE LEAKS? My fix.

Post by FM-USA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 am

Posting no directions, self explanatory. Will if asked.

ENJOY! :P

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: U GOT VAC HOSE LEAKS? My fix.

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm

1/4" Soft Copper ?

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Re: U GOT VAC HOSE LEAKS? My fix.

Post by FM-USA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm
1/4" Soft Copper ?
Whatever the Vac hose is. The one pictured is the 3/8"(mm?) on the Carbs front nipples.
I found 3 vac leaks. NO WONDER the bike ran krappy this past year. I was ready to pull the carbs but first bought (yet another size) mechanics mirror, I found the other 3 leaks. 2 different shaped LOOOONG nose pliers worked out SO NICE.

Soft copper will work. Being a mild form of Pack-Rat, I saved the trunk lids copper support bars, about 4 in. long. PERFECT DIA. SIZE!
They're a rigid tube, propane torch made it pliable enough. It kinked a little in the bend but the vise square-rounded it. As long as the ends are round it will hold vacuum.
The vac lines behind the Carbs are smaller, 4mm. I found NAPA as thick wall 5/32 vac tube. DON'T use the thin wall, it will collapse.

ALL IN ALL, fixing the 2 large vac hoses and one rear smaller hose, I saved $25.95 (OEM $8.65 x3) plus shipping.
(It's called being FRUGAL)
;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.