What's this, short aerial ?


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:18 pm



New bike to me. Just by the radio housing I have a small stubby Ariel, about 3" high. It looks like a giant chess pawn. Any idea what this is ?



User avatar
Wilcoy02
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: Marengo, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15


98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Wilcoy02 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Could be antennae for satellite radio-the pay to hear radio.
Pictures always help to identify things.

Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Probably a mounting for a camera or phone cradle - but it's just a guess.

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by thrasherg » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

without a picture, its hard to say, has the bike got any non-standard electrical items (satellite radio, remote start, etc)? that might give a clue as to what the antenna is for.

Gary

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by newday777 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm

First off you need to state what the 'new bike' is you are asking about, everytime you ask in a new post. New bike doesn't tell us anything. All wing models are different.

Second, a picture will be needed as no wing has a stock radio with an antenna next to it.
We are willing to help but you have to do your part to include needed information.

Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm

newday777 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm
First off you need to state what the 'new bike' is you are asking about, everytime you ask in a new post. New bike doesn't tell us anything. All wing models are different.

Second, a picture will be needed as no wing has a stock radio with an antenna next to it.
We are willing to help but you have to do your part to include needed information.
Well, first off read my post. To the right where the INFORMATION is, you'll see I've informed you that it's a gl1500 k. So perhaps you'll do your part and take the time to read it. Your 'willingness to help wasn't helpful at all. Luckily another member has been.

Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm
Probably a mounting for a camera or phone cradle - but it's just a guess.
A very good guess indeed. I checked to find where wires went and found it had none. Tried your suggestion and my garmin clip pops straight onto it. Thanks to all those that helped.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by newday777 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm

It doesn't show. You assumed it does. Maybe on your browser it does but not here. Do what you want. Adios
Redhot wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
newday777 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm
First off you need to state what the 'new bike' is you are asking about, everytime you ask in a new post. New bike doesn't tell us anything. All wing models are different.

Second, a picture will be needed as no wing has a stock radio with an antenna next to it.
We are willing to help but you have to do your part to include needed information.
Well, first off read my post. To the right where the INFORMATION is, you'll see I've informed you that it's a gl1500 k. So perhaps you'll do your part and take the time to read it. Your 'willingness to help wasn't helpful at all. Luckily another member has been.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, the poster's profile does not show up on some phone browsers. However, it does show on the computer.


I can only assume that the Gl1500 K is a UK spec Gold Wing. What year is the bike?
But still, the description of your item in question was really bizarre. I personally had trouble visualizing it.
A picture would have been most helpful.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Odd. It shows up on an iPhone, Samsung android, my iPad and my crappy old laptop.Is he trying to use his landline ? I think having to have pictures is an American thing, the Aussie guy worked it out from my description. :lol: It's sorted now.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Redhot wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm
Odd. It shows up on an iPhone, Samsung android, my iPad and my crappy old laptop.Is he trying to use his landline ? I think having to have pictures is an American thing, the Aussie guy worked it out from my description. :lol: It's sorted now.
Not all operating systems function in the same manner.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2897
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by themainviking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Redhot wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm
Odd. It shows up on an iPhone, Samsung android, my iPad and my crappy old laptop.Is he trying to use his landline ? I think having to have pictures is an American thing, the Aussie guy worked it out from my description. :lol: It's sorted now.
Well, glad you got it sorted. Perhaps the Aussie guy got it because he understands British vernacular better than North Americans do. I am Canadian rather than American, and had no clue what you were describing, so yes, a picture would have helped. As far as our American friend, a bit less sarcasm could have worked wonders. The reason we all get along so well here is that we are all polite to each other, except for a few of us, and we try very hard to accept them for who they are as well. I was able to see you have a GL1500, but I am observing from my computer. I have no idea what shows up on phones or tablets of any sort. We work well as a community, helping each other and accepting help when offered. That is exactly WHY we work well as a community. Because we act like one.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by landisr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 pm

The Information doesn't show on my Samsung Android phone. However, I tried tapping on Redhot and your profile came up, thus showing your location and bike model.

Welcome to the forum, though.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 am

I guess some people don't play chess ! The reply I received from one member was nothing but condescending and self righteous. He was also wrong and offered no help. Brilliant. :roll: I also have a sense of humour, perhaps it didn't translate well. I hope that member does not represent the majority of people on this community, who I see as friendly and informed. Again, thanks to all that tried to help. :)

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 pm

MikeB wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm
Redhot wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm
Odd. It shows up on an iPhone, Samsung android, my iPad and my crappy old laptop.Is he trying to use his landline ? I think having to have pictures is an American thing, the Aussie guy worked it out from my description. :lol: It's sorted now.
Not all operating systems function in the same manner.
It depends on the width of the screen. If it's not showing up on your phone, try turning it sideways.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 am

Vertical or horizontal, makes no difference with the Motorola Android I use but it doesn't really mater. Accessing the poster info is as easy as touching the poster's name. I don't use it much for accessing the various Gold Wing sites anyway.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
Erdeniz Umman
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 am
Location: Ankara Turkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:07 am

I think the "K" stands for 1989 model year. Just as a side note.
Z 79, A 80..., J 88, K 89, L 90, M 91, N 92, P 93, R 94, S 95, T 96, V 97, W 98, X 99, Y 2000, 1 2001, 2 2002...

Note that, letters I, O, Q and U are not used.

User avatar
Erdeniz Umman
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 am
Location: Ankara Turkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:32 am

Can it be something to hang the helmet when off the bike?
Here are some samples.
Attachments



Redhot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: England
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Re: What's this, short aerial ?

Post by Redhot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Erdinez. Looks very similar to the first one in your pic. It's bolted onto the centre consol, never even considered it was to hang helmet on. It looked ugly, so I've now decided to pop it off, I'll put it back on if I find I need it in future. Ta for your help.



Post Reply