Mercury


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7659
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Mercury

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 pm



Not the car,the metal.Has anybody(other than me)ever used this to coat electrical contacts(like a switch)To eliminate arcing damage,corrosion,or the like?It's a perfect conductor,wont arc burn,never wears out.Perfect connection every time,no intermittent problems.Is this pushing the limit?



User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Mercury

Postby thrasherg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Apart from it giving of some nasty fumes, how do you get it to coat and stick to the surface?

Gary

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Mercury

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 pm

I play with JB Weld alot Ha ha :lol: Works for me..

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7659
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Mercury

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 pm

When I was very young,my dad gave me a mercury coated penny.I thought it was cool and slick.I used to rub it all day.Maybe it helped with with my concentration.Later I coated the copper contacts on a RAM module and the edge card to stop memory crashes.A very old computer.Recently the transmission selector switch became intermittent on my 06 Suzuki car.I found the contacts were arc damaged,black and pitted.Rather than special order a $168 switch,I scraped the pads clean.polished with a pencil eraser,then added a small drop of mercury,using the eraser,i rubbed the mercury onto the contacts untill it was coated.I added a little more to provide a good layer.The excess is re-bottled.The theory is that high end burn proof switching use mercury displacement contacts.Even home thermostats,car tilt switches(trunk and hood) use mercury coated contacts.Because I don't heat it,no fumes.Just containment considerations.




Return to “Tech Talk”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest