....Thanks to Trailer Safety Chains ...

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

....Thanks to Trailer Safety Chains ...

Postby SilverDave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am

I have towed a utility trailer for about 60,000 and never had any problems, as long as the trailer was weight balanced... It has quietly run behind my 'Wing" down super highways, and city streets, and across rough dirt roads... even across 20 k of the "Original Alaska Highway" that they have left sorta intact , just off the new highway .

I was trailering the empty trailer to a gas station ,last week, to check the 4 tire pressures... and at about 50 kph, I heard ( and felt ) a roaring from behind me..... sounded like a truck about to overtake... When I realized what it was, and wrestled the bike to the roadside, I discovered that for reasons I cannot still understand, the hitch snap had elevated, and the trailer had popped off, and the front of the hitch was dragging along the highway... hence the roaring noise.

I have clipped and unclipped the hitch lock several times since, and I see no reason for it to pop open... and I think I will leave the slightly sanded front of the hitch unpainted as a graphic reminder of what can happen...
Anyway...
I am thankful for safety chains... which kept the trailer in the same vicinity... and probably prevented a serious trailer disaster...

SilverDave

racing chevy 67
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
2004 honda aero ,shadow

Re: ....Thanks to Trailer Safety Chains ...

Postby racing chevy 67 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I had that happen with my truck years ago and total out my trailer ,,,,never could find out way it came unlocked....but after that ,,I always use a trailer pin thur the for extra safe ..

mcasteel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby mcasteel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 am

I made the mistake of letting my son hook up a trailer to my truck and did not go behind him to check (like I normally do) to see if everything was secure. Yes, I am greatful that he had hooked up the safety chains correctly!!
"I'm a single tail light in the wind"
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I know first hand what no safety chains can cause. A couple years ago, I was coming back from a Rally pulling my small trailer along behind my 84 Aspy. Someone honked and pointed out to me I had a flat on the trailer, which I could not even feel. I slowed from the 75mph I was doing and took the exit ramp. As I was slowing down to bring her to a stop I was down to about 40 when I see my trailer pass me on the right. It was drifting to the right so I just followed it. It went up a commercial driveway and down to about 5mph when it hit a concrete support pad for one of those large hwy signs. It flipped and poped open. Could have been a lot worse, could have gone to the left into traffic, instead of to the right towards the side of the road.

The stress of the flat tire applied too the swivel hitch, caused the swivel to break and broke the coupler right off the trailer. It was still attached to the ball. Learned two things. no more swivel hitches, and never run without chains.

zephyr2nv
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A - sold
1994 GL1500A

Postby zephyr2nv » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 am

Good to know. When I was building my trailer I read arguments from both sides about running safety chains on a motorcycle trailer. I run chains (crossed over) because it is the law, but I had wondered how it would effect my bike if the trailer ever uncoupled going down the road.
--------------------
Derek

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 am

My de-coupled trailer fell into my crossed chains, and so was fairly centered... and I was going straight down the road, which was paved... so there were few lateral forces on the trailer ... but it had moved foreword enough for the hitch coupler front to drag on the ground....

I am now debating whether to take a link or two out of my safety chains ... but if one makes them too snug , then tight, low speed turns curves in a lot or campsite become difficult...

and yes, I just went and bought a snap clip for the tongue clip !!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:33 pm

I always use a pad lock on my trailer's hitch lift, there's a place there for it...It also keeps others from stealing it when I'm inside Walmart or some other store..I'd say though that you have towed many more miles than I have, I've only towed about 30.000 miles... :D

Return to “Camping and Trailers”