"Bringing It Out Of Retirement".


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
miker40
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am
Location: hammond, ind
Motorcycle: 1977, GL1000

"Bringing It Out Of Retirement".

Postby miker40 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:31 am



Hi ! just got a gl1000 from a good friend. Bought a battery and it started for about 2 weeks.
Now its completely dead. any suggestions?



Old Fogey
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Glasgow Scotland
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000
Contact:

Re: "Bringing It Out Of Retirement".

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 pm

It could be a number of things. More info needed such as;
How much did you use it over the two weeks?
Did it gradually become harder to start?
Do you still have lights, even dim ones?
It sounds as though the system isn't charging the battery, a common fault. But if it was an instant failure of all electrics it could be the 30amp dogbone fuse gone. It is situated down by the battery. While you have the battery cover off, find the connector at the front end of the battery box that has three yellow wires going to it. At a guess, this will be melted. If it is, there is a good chance that the stator is damaged.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

miker40
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am
Location: hammond, ind
Motorcycle: 1977, GL1000

Re: "Bringing It Out Of Retirement".

Postby miker40 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:49 pm

the battery slowly died . i know the battery should read 12.6 v .what is the next test and what should it read? I think something is draining the battery. thanks for the reply!


Return to “Tech Talk”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest