CLEANING/POLISHING/WASHING

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
sarge3056
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

CLEANING/POLISHING/WASHING

Postby sarge3056 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 am

As a relatively new GoldWing owner (85 GL1200 'LTD Edition but looking to trade for a 2009 GL1800 NAV/ABS/AIRBAG) I have never really had to do a complete cleaning of the bike. I do realize that it is important to keep water away from electronics, speakers etc. I recently heard that, if the bike isn't too dirty (i.e. just dirty from wet roads, heavy rain etc) it is OK to use something like LEMON PLEDGE :?: and soft cloths instead of soap and water.......T or F?
In the event that a ride takes us onto muddy roads or a construction 'detour', what is the best method for cleanup?
I also assume that any of the good automobile waxes (e.g. Meguiars, Mothers etc.) are suitable.
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated!!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: CLEANING/POLISHING/WASHING

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:17 pm

You can hose it down and wash it pretty much like a car, with a couple caveats - I wouldn't use a pressure washer (too easy to get spray up where it shouldn't go), and be careful around the stator and plug boots.

I have a LOT of electronics on my bike, so I don't use a hose - just a soapy bucket and a sponge. I use some engine degreaser on the engine and a small squirt bottle to wash it off. The painted bits I use soapy water and a sponge, towels to dry. Don't bother with wax at all.

The windshield I clean meticulously before every ride, with Lemon Pledge and clean towels.

I clean my bike maybe once a year. I'm more interested in riding it than cleaning it.

Return to “Tech Talk”