Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Cell Phone Suitable For an Old Fart!

Postby tom84std » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Last April when I crashed my BSA, my cellphone got destroyed. During my hospital stay, my daughter presented me with an iphone. Already activated, with my old number. I kept it for about four months. I absolutely hated it! Three days ago I went to the phone store and paid $20 for a 1994 vintage flip-phone and gave that monstrocity to her husband! It has a cover so you can't accidently make a call with it in your pocket. It sends and receives phone calls. I have two computers at my house. I have a camera for taking pictures. Now I have a new phone for making calls. I see families at a resteraunt, every member peering and fingering their iphone, not speaking to one another. Drivers on the highway punching messages on their iphone ignoring the fact that they are in a ton of steel travelling at 70 miles per hour. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Cell Phone Suitable For an Old Fart!

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:40 pm

I do.
I also light up the loudest horns you ever heard when anybody is near me using a phone.
Driving or not!!!
Got their attention!!!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 am

My dad thinks the same way, a phone is a phone is a phone. I see through US Cellular (my carrier) that they still have the older style flip phones, but you do not have to buy an old one. Get em for a penny.

Me, on the otherhand....my phone has a decent camera, has the map, and I will be hooking it up to the bike so I can listen to music. It holds about 60 CDs so that is real handy.

When youa re ready for it, you will get there, but I believe you have to want it to use it.

Oh....dad is 76, so he is an old fart....but young in a lotta ways.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a Motorola V3 flip phone. It probably does other stuff than make calls, but all I want is the make calls part. I pay a hundred bucks a year for it, and if I pay up in time, whatever is still left of the hundred bucks rolls over. I have had it six years and have $548 credit on it. If I want a computer, I buy a computer. If I want a GPS, I buy one of those. My eyes aren't good enough to run apps on a smart phone, so I have a tablet. One item - one use. I know that is way old fashioned, but at 65 I ain't wanting to be 35. Or younger. I also do not use my phone when I am driving - weird huh?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 am

Yeah Viking. I'm with you 100% I have a cellphone in lieu of a landline nowdays because I was spending $600 a year for something I never used. I have this neat little phone I can make phone calls on. Fits into my pocket, works everywhere I usually go. If I need to tell someone something, I call them and tell them and then hang up. When I had that iphone my daughter was sending me texts five times a day containing information I really didn't need to know. Now if she needs to tell me something, she knows to call me. We talk and then we hang up. If I'm driving or riding, the phone records it as a missed call and I call whomever back when I can.

feetup
Motorcycle: 84 GL 1200I
75 GL 1000 (in pieces)
'02 Gas Gas Trials
'56 Norton 600

Postby feetup » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm

I am with you guys. In fact I will carry the rant further to include the array of remote controls it now takes to simply watch TV. I have one for the DVD player, one for the TV, one for the Surround sound, and one for the PVR, and somewhere, down in the couch there is probably one for the VCR that got banished to the bottom of the closet. They are all different in appearance so that's not an issue but why do I need 55 or more small buttons on each controller that all feel the same in the dark just to change channels, or turn up the volume?
Sometimes I think the people who design these things never use them, or perhaps that is the only thing they use for their entire day.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33 pm

feetup wrote:I am with you guys. In fact I will carry the rant further to include the array of remote controls it now takes to simply watch TV. I have one for the DVD player, one for the TV, one for the Surround sound, and one for the PVR, and somewhere, down in the couch there is probably one for the VCR that got banished to the bottom of the closet. They are all different in appearance so that's not an issue but why do I need 55 or more small buttons on each controller that all feel the same in the dark just to change channels, or turn up the volume?
Sometimes I think the people who design these things never use them, or perhaps that is the only thing they use for their entire day.

That's the exact reason why I use a Logitech Harmony remote. A little complex setting the thing up, but once you've got it running, you can get rid of all of your other remotes, and it truly operates everything, in a simple and logical way. Want to watch TV? Press the TV button. Want to watch a DVD? Press the DVD button. It figures out what to turn on, what to turn off, what inputs need to be switched, etc. based on the known current state of your system (i.e. if the TV is already on because you're watching it, and you press the DVD button, it knows it doesn't need to turn the TV on, because it's already on). I got one for my parents, and I was so impressed with it that I bought two of them for myself.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Had to use 3 remotes to get everything going.....
- Remote #1 to operate the TV, Surround, Cable/DVR
- Remote #2 is the xbox so that I can watch movies, play games
- Remote #3, the original remote to flip the TV channel between TV and xbox....(go fig BOSE could not figure to make a button for that)

VCR died along time ago along with my 8-track....but I still use the cassette deck in the car to play the mp3, lol.

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Here's a vintage "cell" phone for you. Used to work on trenchers on the road back in the 70s & 80s. Got it from a phone company guy. Worked good as long as you could find a pedestal or junction box on a house. Always used a company phone card, if the operator broke in to ask where I was calling from I just said the little paper tag with the number on it was missing. I had to dig it out a few weeks ago to diagnose land line trouble at home. Phone company wants to charge if problem is on your side of the box. Ended up being mouse nests in two pedestals between home and town, six miles away.
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Randy S wrote:Here's a vintage "cell" phone for you.

When I had a water access only cottage across a lake, and had no phone, but my neighbor had one, I made one of those out of an old dial desk phone with a couple of alligator clips. It worked just fine when the neighbor was away and I could not get to their phone. Just opened up the box and clipped on. I may still have it around here somewhere, and if I find it I will snap a pic and post it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am

I used to have one, not a dial, but with a keypad, and it had the alligator clips with the tiny little needle pins on it - you could clamp onto an insulated wire and it would pierce the insulation and connect to the wire, but when you removed it, the insulation was (mostly) undamaged. The clips looked something like the ones on this set:

Randy S
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade 1989 GL1500

Postby Randy S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I used to have one, not a dial, but with a keypad, and it had the alligator clips with the tiny little needle pins on it - you could clamp onto an insulated wire and it would pierce the insulation and connect to the wire, but when you removed it, the insulation was (mostly) undamaged. The clips looked something like the ones on this set:

43217.jpg

The old red test set has the pins in the alligator clips and the wire clip is used to hook it on your belt while climbing a pole. I was never that brave or ambitious.

tom84std
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Return to “Just for Fun”