Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Guy laid it down right in front of me

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I was sitting at an intersection on my way to work this morning - a fairly large one, both roads had four lanes plus a turning lane.

I watched a young kid come riding up to the intersection on a fairly recent Harley Sportster. He was wearing a T-shirt, shorts, flip flops and no helmet. The light turned yellow as he got near the intersection, and because he wasn't slowing down, I thought he was just going to gun it through to try to beat the red - but he wasn't accelerating, and I realized that he was just oblivious to the light overall.

It turned red just as he got to the intersection, still doing about 30 mph - and I think THAT got his attention, because he suddenly went hard on his brakes, locking the back wheel, and skidding into the middle of the intersection. To his credit, he managed to keep it upright until he came to a complete stop, almost exactly halfway across the intersection - at which point I think he just forgot to put his feet down, and the bike went over on its left side. I think he realized what was happening too late, and he hopped off the thing.

He then sheepishly switched the bike off, picked it up, got on, and backed it up back to the edge of the intersection where he should have stopped in the first place.

Luckily, nobody had jumped the green, and everyone else was paying attention to what was happening, so he didn't hit, and wasn't hit by anyone.

After it had all happened, and nobody was hurt or hit, I found myself laughing a bit - I can only hope that if I end up doing some kind of emergency maneuver someday, I remember to put my feet down when it's all over. :)

plskthompson1

Re: Guy laid it down right in front of me

Postby plskthompson1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Not that the incident it's self wasn't bad enough, but really, shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, doesn't he know that his attire alone could cause him some harm in the right circumstances, I mean really. :evil:
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:36 pm

He was a young kid...he's still invincible and immortal. At least in his own mind.

plskthompson1

Postby plskthompson1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm only 28, and I still know that you don't wear gear like that on any type of bike. As far as my age, I don't know if that makes me a young kid or not, I guess it depends on the person I'm talking to.
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Oh no, by 28 you should know better. I'm talking more like 17 or 18, which is about how old this guy was that I saw today. I definitely had acquired a sense of mortality by about 21, that I utterly lacked at age 17 (which is when I first started riding motorcycles - how did I ever survive???)

brownrm

Postby brownrm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Forgetting to put your feet down is more common than most think. I observed a new Goldwing rider pull up to the light at a busy intersection and then just topple over, because he forgot to put his feet down. I think he forgot he was on a motorcycle.

ainsy

Postby ainsy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Age may not have had anything to do with this incident as much as inexperience , 16 , 26 or 56 first time rider can do a lot of things that seasoned riders would shake their heads at . I know I'm a new rider at 56 and until it happens you have no idea just what can happen and how fast , mind you the choice of apparel laves a little to be desired .

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:53 pm

I know this response is a little late.. but I had a friend that insisted upon riding his KZ400 home after a unit party. I followed on my little XL100 to see that he got back to the barracks. We came up to a light after we had ridden a ways, and he forgot to put his feet down after a perfect boulvard stop. After he tipped over, I nearly fell off my own bike I was laughing so hard. :lol: He made it home without further incident. He swore me to secrecy, but the rest of the guys figured it out shortly (when they saw his broken turn signals, but no scratches).
Don't spook the road sheep.

Bluto
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby Bluto » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Age has nothing to do with dressing like that. I know a guy who is about 60. He rides all the time in shorts tank top and flip flops. I prefer boots, pants and at least a shirt if not a jacket.

Oldsmores
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade, 1984 Magna VF700C (now my son's)

Postby Oldsmores » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Bluto wrote:Age has nothing to do with dressing like that. I know a guy who is about 60. He rides all the time in shorts tank top and flip flops. I prefer boots, pants and at least a shirt if not a jacket.

Sorry, but a shirt won't help you a bit - if you're going more than about 5 mph it'll burn through in about 1/100th of a second and your skin will follow. ATGATT here.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am

Oldsmores wrote:Sorry, but a shirt won't help you a bit - if you're going more than about 5 mph it'll burn through in about 1/100th of a second and your skin will follow. ATGATT here.

Yup, me too. I got hit when I was 17, I was doing maybe 25-30 mph, and slid for maybe 25 or 30 feet down the road after I hit the ground. I slid on my right hip, and in that spot I wore through my jacket, my leather belt, my jeans, and had just started on my underwear by the time I stopped. The fronts of my jeans wore through pretty quickly though - jeans really don't give you much protection at all.

I've now got armored jacket, pants, gloves, and have my helmet and boots on - anytime I'm on my bike. I'm not going through that again.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Mon May 03, 2010 9:21 am

My husband had the front of the V65 Magna slide out from under him at less than 15 mph in a sandy spot (middle of a turn). Since it was down hill, he slid some 30 feet! The knee of his jeans didn't stand a chance and I had to patch up his knee so he could go coach LaCrosse that day. I don't have a problem getting him to wear the armored pants anymore.. ;)

That "low speed slide" cost me $1000 in e-bay parts to fix the bike.
Don't spook the road sheep.

tcwin
Motorcycle: 1983 CL11000 Interstate

Postby tcwin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:30 pm

First of all -- a BIG THANK YOU for all the advice and information on this website.
I recently purchased a 83 Interstate and just love it - mostly drive around town but have a cabin about two hours away and the bike makes the trip more enjoyable.
This thread brings up an interesting subject for me -- armored jackets and pants. Any recommendations from the group on favorites or brands to stay away from? I have been to a couple stores in town, but they all have limited stock and am a little nervous about buying something like this online.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Oldsmores
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade, 1984 Magna VF700C (now my son's)

Postby Oldsmores » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 am

I have this jacket (and I bought it on-line from Newenough.com) and I love it. The two interchangeable liners mean you can use it in temps anywhere from the 30's (both liners) to the 90's (neither):
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/intake_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html
I also bought a pair of closeout mesh armored pants from the same place (they may be River Road). Not as nice as the TourMaster clothing, but they do the trick and were a LOT cheaper.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 pm

My jacket is similar. I have a set of Joe Rocket Ballistic armored jacket and pants, and I love them. The jacket has a thick, waterproof and windproof liner that when zipped in, allows me to ride down to almost freezing wearing not much more than a T-shirt underneath. Removing that liner lets the jacket run from around 50 degrees to 75 degrees. Above 75 degrees, you can unzip the outer shell leaving an armored mesh behind, which is quite cool and I've worn it to upwards of 90 degrees.

The pants, similarly have an outer shell and an unzippable interior windproof/waterproof lining. I use the lining below around 50 degrees or so, and remove it for anything above that.

tcwin
Motorcycle: 1983 CL11000 Interstate

Postby tcwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info - I went to the New Enough website and like their return policy. Will be ordering in the next couple of days.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 pm

I have the Tourmaster's mesh jacket like of Wingadmin's Joe Rocket jacket. I like it very much have and am able to wear it and a combination of liners for anything above 30 degrees. I have the matching mesh pants also. Last weekend we had 95 temps and I wore the pants over a pair of shorts and was quite comfortable. I know Tourmaster is pricey but I feel a little more more secure knowing that the company didn't cut corners with the safety. When you figure the quality will last you many years of riding it may even been cheaper.

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 am

I have been riding for more then 25 years, and still things happen for the first time. I rode to work last week. A solid 50 minutes nice and early never had to change gears or touch the brakes until I got off the highway. Rolled up to the first light and came to a stop. At that point I realized my left leg had fallen to sleep and did not want to wake up to my request to change postions and support the bike. Luckily I have a habit of leaning the bike to the right so I can switch to neutral or I would have dumped her.

Scared the bejebus out of me.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 pm

There is an old saying in the motorcycle community. There are three types of biker - those that have been down, those that are going down, and those that are going down again. With 45 years of riding under my belt, I have been all three. Every time I have gone down, it was due to being hit, normally from behind, but once from the left rear, by cars. Good riding gear will protect one from most of this, but even good riding gear will still allow injuries. I wouldn't dream of getting on a motorcycle in shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops or even sneakers. I have ridden with and without a helmet and all the without was when I was much younger. I am still immortal though - so far, lol. And I will be until I ain't no more. I now use a helmet faithfully, because I would hate to be immortal with no brain to realize it. Ride on brothers and sisters.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 pm

We had friends over to play cards Y E A R S ago. We had a few beers not many and a few left handed cigarettes. It was about midnight when they headed home. They were on their sporty and pulled up to an intersection and he forgot to put his feet down and over they went. Laughing their butts off. Fortunately we lived in the boonies so there was no traffic and no cops around.

Return to “Just for Fun”