European Travel

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
stefteach
Motorcycle: 2002 GL 1800

European Travel

Postby stefteach » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Hello,

I am a new Goldwinger, retiring next year (after 27 years working for a local School System) with a plan to take my newly purchased 2002 Goldwing Champion Trike back home (Northern Italy), and travel the Alps with it! It's been a dream of mine to do this, and it's happening. As a professional videographer/fotographer, I plan and hope to create a series of programs (Youtube or even broadcasting TV networks) highlighting the Alps from a motorcyclist's experience.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there gone to Europe for a tour or just for fun... I'd love to hear from you.

Anyway, I hope to hear from some of you.

Stefano

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: European Travel

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:54 pm

I live in Europe - just.

Great place to ride motorcycles but I have never got as far as Italy (on a bike). Done lots of driving there - hire cars. Beautiful country and lovely people, although some of the drivers/riders are clearly suicidal. I most recently spent time in the Lakes and managed to visit the Moto Guzzi museum at its factory on Lake Como.

I once explored the French alps in a MG Midget but that was 40 years ago nearly, it was great fun.

Most of my motorcycling has been done in France.

Enjoy your retirement. Best thing I ever did.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:13 pm

I took a tour back in 2004! We rode in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, England, Belgium, Italy and France. The riding was spectacular. The passes in the Alps were a lot of fun and there were plenty of motorcyclists on the roads. I enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the top of Stelvio with a wonderful German family. All of the Europeans we met were really nice and fortunately the younger ones spoke excellent English. My language skills are pathetic.

I was especially impressed with the motels, and restaurants that had signs up that they cater to motorcyclists. You got the feeling they really wanted you there and of course to collect your tourist dollar. The food was great everywhere we ate!

The tour was actually only two weeks but the wife and I went over a week early and picked up our rental bikes to ride in England and Scotland. Even with renting the bikes for three weeks this was cheaper than shipping our bikes over there. I think I calculated it at the time that it would take 6 weeks of rental prices to equal the costs of shipping and getting the bikes prepped to go there and then to come back home. Of course with the devaluation of both the British pound and the euro, this may have changed somewhat.

For me this was not something I had really planned and scrimped for. The opportunity came up when a group I belong to decided it was a good idea about 2 years before we made the trip. Truthfully I never expected to get this opportunity. But we got great pricing for the tour and most meals. It was a great trip! Everyone should see England, Germany and so on just to realize how lucky we are to live here!

As is the case in the states, the most interesting places are off the main roads and in the small towns.

If I ever go back I will either rent a car or get one of those multiday train tickets and go see some sites we missed. I think it would be great to have time to visit some things we did not get to see so we could ride.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Well if you do come back, you must visit us here. You would be most welcome.
The game's afoot;

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:46 am

brettchallenger wrote:Well if you do come back, you must visit us here. You would be most welcome.

I just want you to know that I really appreciate your offer! When we were there we were mostly in the Lake District near Barrow in Furness or in London.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:58 pm

we were mostly in the Lake District near Barrow in Furness or in London

We live in the quieter and drier Yorkshire Wolds, about 10 miles from the East Coast, in a small village (pictured) just outside the market town of Driffield. To the south, about 30 minutes, is Beverley, with its beautiful 13th century minster (pictured). Further south - another ten miles lies the rather grim port of Hull, the most bombed city in Britain during the war. You can catch a ferry from the docks there to Rotterdam (Holland) or Zeebrugge (Belgium), an overnight crossing takes 12 hours, or a train direct to London - about 3 hours. The walled city of York (very touristy and crowded) is 50 minutes drive from my village.
Attachments
The game's afoot;

stefteach
Motorcycle: 2002 GL 1800

Postby stefteach » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Sounds like many of you enjoyed riding in Europe, so I can't wait! I grew up in Italy, and left when I was 22, going back there to visit family every year or so, so I am very familiar with the territory and the roads. I thought there were not too many "wingers" in Europe, but I was surprised by how many actually there are. They just had a yearly reunion in Torbole (on Lake Garda) see link here:

It's a bit long but worth looking at it.

I did spend some time in England, as we have friends there near London, drove a minivan all the way from there to the Island of Sky... that was such a memorable trip! Beautiful B&Bs lot's of sheep and green pastures, I bet it's wonderful to tour it on a bike. Perhaps when I'm through with the Alps I'll expand my horizons to other European (and not... :-) countries.

Cheers... and keep riding safely!

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”