Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

ATV goes through the ice into Lake Huron

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:29 pm

While riding my father's ATV near icy Lake Huron just after Christmas, I misjudged the location of the sand bar, and ended up breaking through the ice. The back end of the ATV got good and stuck, and I broke through the ice myself trying to lift it out, thoroughly soaking myself. The ATV has a winch, so we first tried driving my truck out on the sand bar and hooking the winch to the truck, but it just dragged my truck on the ice without moving the ATV.

My father then took one of the metal ATV ramps and rammed it through the ice, putting the end of it into the lake floor. We hooked the ATV's winch to the ramp, and he held the top of the ramp while I slowly winched the ATV out. We used wood under the wheels to help get it up over the ice. We also used some old wooden ramps, one of which was shot under the ice by the wheels, and was lost. We would get only a few feet forward before one of the wheels would again break through, so the process was very slow. During the hour and a half we spent getting it out of the ice, I myself went through the ice into the freezing, thigh-deep water 25 or 30 times. By the time we eventually got it out, I was freezing, and I couldn't feel my soaking wet feet anymore.

When we finally got the ATV out, it was no worse for the experience, and it was very clean (it was filthy beforehand!). My wife adds her commentary as she takes this video.

View the video: Extracting ATV from the ice

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE
1973 HONDACB750K restoration project
1964 TRIUMPH 650 chopper
1978 Honda CB750K chopper project

Re: ATV goes through the ice into Lake Huron

Postby M&T82WING » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Wow sure glad you got your 4wheeler out of there.

Return to “Just for Fun”