Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Re: history of the tail of the dragon

Postby britman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 pm

A friend rode it last year and she is not a speed freak she said never again

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 am

I still wanna ride it' but I'm not a speed freak. I know my limits. Too bad they can't kep the big rigs off it! :ugeek:

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:13 pm

riffraff wrote:I still wanna ride it' but I'm not a speed freak. I know my limits. Too bad they can't kep the big rigs off it! :ugeek:

seems like my soninlaw and daughter heard well they rode the dragon that there was plans to widen the tail so the big rigs had more room , this is what they heard , but no facts ,

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:29 am

long adress but worth a look

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:46 am

He's driving on the wrong side of the road ....... he will get killed.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 am

Common sensationalizing by TV, which is normal.
However, having ridden Deal's Gap countless times, sensibly, it is still enjoyable to return.
There is now a 30mph speed limit and on going efforts by Law Enforcement to "police" this 11 mile section as there have been numerous accidents, several resulting in death of the riders.
This is not the place to try out your imagined "Nicky Hayden" skills.
Early mornings and week days is the best time to ride the Gap to avoid most of the idiots!
There are other enjoyable roads in the area and can be found and reviewed in this link:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Also, there will not be any widening of US129 in this area. If you ride there, look around and imagine the cost related to widening that area. There was a discussion a few years ago about a complete redo and some "straightening" of that area, quickly abadoned, as I understand, for cost reasons.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 am

In addition to all of the above, big rig trucks are not permitted on the tail of the dragon portion of Hwy 129. Although penalty for illegally using this highway are not overly severe, any big rig caught using it will be given a ticket when they come out of the tail, in either direction, for "Failing to maintain their lane", which is impossible to fight in court, as no big rig can drive that road in one lane. (cost of fine is about $150) Also the truck drivers are given a lengthy lecture by the State Police, which does hold them up for a bit of time, making the use of 129 no longer a viable time saver. I got this from a State Trooper last July (2011) after I went up and down four times. I loved it, but as mentioned above, I did it fairly early in the day, even before the crotch rockets got on. When they started showing up, I left, and rode the Six Gap of Georgia, the Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway. Then the next day, we went up north west of Knoxville to the Devils Triangle, which is 44 miles of similar road. Great riding in these mountains. I definitely have to get back to that area in a couple of years but earlier in the year when it ain't so blessed hot, :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Kiwi2 wrote:He's driving on the wrong side of the road ....... he will get killed.

No one picked it up. You guys (US) drive on the "right" side of the road, whereas we (NZ) drive on the "correct" (left) side of the road, hence the comment. :lol:

I have seen video clips and read stories about this road and the number of motorcyclists that have mishaps etc. I may do it one day if I could only find the entrance to the tunnel between the US and NZ.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Kiwi2 wrote: I may do it one day if I could only find the entrance to the tunnel between the US and NZ.

Hey Kiwi....have you ever tried "water wings"??? That may help you get across the "long pond". :lol:

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 am

I have been to the dragon and it is a very technical road - as are nearly all the 2 lane roads in the Great Smokey Mountains. I most definitely see it as a no distractions ride - sound system off. I long ago abandoned any "boy racer" fantasies I may have been harboring so it was truly an enjoyable experience. At the time I was riding a VFR 800 and the rest of our group were also on similar bikes. Some of them were treating the dragon like their personal private road and all I could do was shake my head, since having been the one rider who consistently spoke about safety and "riding the pace" taught me that a number of these guys were only going to learn by experience, and even then it might take several lessons. No longer ride with them as a result. I know my limits and refuse to try and push them on public roads. I have always kept the racing on the race track. I would recommend that if you get the opportunity make the trip. The scenery is amazing as is the history of the area. It is one of those experiences you will long remember

"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

Return to “Just for Fun”