Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Screwed over by Scootworks

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Last December, I ordered a handlebar riser kit for my wife's Virago from Scootworks. It came with a set of Show Chrome risers, and some custom threaded studs to make it fit the Virago.

A month later, in late January, I went to install the risers. Unfortunately, the studs were too short, and so the kit didn't fit the bike. I emailed Scootworks on the 24th, including some pictures showing why the studs were too short, and got an email back on the 25th from Dave Hockaday, the owner. He said that "thicker triple trees tend to appear from time to time with customers" and offered to send me some longer studs. I took him up on his offer the next day, on the 27th.

I got an automated email on February 1st apologizing, that they were in the midst of moving, and that things would be back to normal by the end of the week. I sent a reply repeating my wish to exchange the studs, and got a personal email from Dave right away, apologizing for the delay in responding, due to the move.

Two weeks later, on the Feb 13th, I sent another email, asking if the studs had shipped yet. I got no response.

I sent another email on Feb 15th, asking again. I didn't receive a reply until Feb 22nd, again from Dave Hockaday, again apologizing for the delay "due to the move" and that my order had "slipped through the cracks" and to let him know if I "still needed the studs." I wrote back right away telling him that I did. I got no response.

Another week goes by. March 1st, I sent another email asking if the studs had been sent yet. I got an email back from Dave on the 2nd, saying that they had been "mailed out USPS in a padded envelope about 1 week ago" and that I should receive them any time.

Another week goes by, nothing shows up. March 9, I write back and let him know nothing showed up, and reminding him it has now been six weeks since he said he'd send me these. I got no response.

Another week passes, I send another email on March 13 asking him to please deal with this. I got a reply the same day, saying that "the original package must have gotten lost in the mail," and that he had sent out a new set in a cardboard box this time.

Two more weeks passes, still nothing shows up. I send Dave another email on March 27, confirming my mailing address. I get no response.

I send another email on March 29, asking if he actually has these things, and to please answer my request. I get no response. I tried calling, and got only voice mail. I left a message.

Today, I called and got voice mail again. I sent another email. No response. I gave up. I did a quick Google search for complaints about Scootworks...and oh, man. Tons and tons of people who have had the exact same experience as me. Lies and excuses from Dave, stuff never arriving, wrong stuff being sent, stuff being sent with missing parts, Dave stopping answering emails or voice mails, people sending stuff back and never getting refunds, people having to do credit card chargebacks.

So learn from my tale of woe - when dealing with an online vendor for the first time, check their reputation first online! Second...don't buy anything from Scootworks!

I'm going to go get some studs made up at a local machine shop so that I can finally install these risers.

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: Screwed over by Scootworks

Postby seabee_ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have also learned from past experience to check with others (forums), check review ratings or to simply google companies to find the good and bad. Hope you get things fixed with your local shop.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 am

You are a patient guy, wingadmin! I got taken twice on the internet and have not done another online purchase since, 5 yrs now. The internet is for research ONLY, $4.50 a gallon is cheaper than the stress of these experiences and i`ll have my part(s) now. Happy Easter everyone!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I would say he messed around with the wrong guy, this dave guy is now on my sh-t list. Maybe if he knew that you own and run a Goldwing web site he would have changed his tone a bit, this can be most damaging to his business, actually someone like that seems to be most damaging to himself...I would try a different company for the studs, might get them for free because they want your business in the future..That's what I'd do...Or make a voo doo doll of Dave and stick it with a nail not a pin right in the leg, :lol: just kidding I wish not to inflick pain upon him, don't want to hurt him too bad he's doing it to himself already..I will beware this company , thanks for the heads up..

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:21 am

I hope that everyone reads this, some members on the VRCC board have been screwed by scootworks, do not ---do not --buy anything from them!!!!!! they are crooks-----nough said--
GOD BLESS

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am

You said you went online and found all kinds of complaints. Where did you look exactly? I googled Scootworks and got one guy that had a problem like you. I can't hit every forum online. But I will say one thing, I think i've read negative reviews about every online business there is and every product made.. Just searching a forum randomly it's hard to tell the credibility of the guy complaining sometimes. I was just wondering because I came across a couple places who's prices were REAL low, I just googled their name and didn't see any complaints, but prices too low scare me. I never ordered from them. I try to stick with know businesses and bought from scootworks years ago (but didn't have to return anything). I must not know how to research potential trouble....To bad they didn't have google 25 years ago, I coulda gooled my wife and saved myself alot of grief... :lol:
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Bogator

Postby Bogator » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I was refering to the-----Valkyrie Riders cruisers club---VRCC---check it out and you can read for yourself--
GOD BLESS

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm

I wasn't questioning anyones post, I was mainly asking if there was a rescource to go to other tha google to find businesses that have 'RECENT' questionalble business practices.............Scootworks, 8 years ago was beyond repute and I think WING ADMIN's feelings were the same having bought and dealt online with alot of peeps over the years..... Being in charge of a prominent GW website shouldn't affect or influence a reputable business like scootworks. I like scootworks from past dealings and from everything I saw on google a move was the mishap???? the internet is a never ending growing monster with no boundries (for right or wrong)

Bogator

Postby Bogator » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:00 am

The internet is like the newspaper and tv, don't believe anything you see or read, there is an old sayin that goes-----believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear----I have never had any dealings with Scootworks ,but all the post on the VRCC web tells me not to deal with them , I did not mean to offend anyone --if I did ---please --forgive me-- that is just my oppenion, :lol: :roll:
GOD BLESS

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:15 am

Bogator,
This move they made changed them somehow. You didn't say anything more or less offensive that any of us said. It'll be interesting to watch in the next year or 2 whether they redeem themselves. If I did this and saw alot of damage, with a new change of address, i'd change my name and promote the new business with the untainted reputation... Like you said what is believable in the media? It seems easier to start clean than to spend a year changing our opinion of them.
You also know that there are people that never seem to be capable of pleasing. It would be rough to have an internet biz and keep your name clean. It seems the people we mainly do business with are Wing specialty stores like Cyclemax and Sierra products. They cater to us, we cater to them. There are hundreds of 'Scootworks' out there selling products like Kuryakin who sell in bulk to any e-bay store that wants to buy. They undercut everybody elses prices because they're bottom feeders I'm not saying Scootworks is a bottom feeder, i'm saying stores like them that sell parts for whatever bike is popular today. They sell leather vests, helmets with skulls on them, t-shirts with all the cool biker logos....in short anything to make a buck. Then we go on our fav forum and ask if they're reputable, or they got ripped off.
I like Cyclemax, I live in OH. I needed about 900.00 in parts over the winter, I went with another reputable dealer, Ron Ayers outside OH and saved a bundle on tax. First time I ever did anything like that, being disloyal to Cyclemax was hard, but screwing the govt felt good....damn now I feel like a bottom feeder.... :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

Dogsled wrote:You said you went online and found all kinds of complaints. Where did you look exactly? I googled Scootworks and got one guy that had a problem like you. I can't hit every forum online. But I will say one thing, I think i've read negative reviews about every online business there is and every product made.. Just searching a forum randomly it's hard to tell the credibility of the guy complaining sometimes. I was just wondering because I came across a couple places who's prices were REAL low, I just googled their name and didn't see any complaints, but prices too low scare me. I never ordered from them. I try to stick with know businesses and bought from scootworks years ago (but didn't have to return anything). I must not know how to research potential trouble....To bad they didn't have google 25 years ago, I coulda gooled my wife and saved myself alot of grief... :lol:

You don't have to look very far. I re-did a Google search of "Scootworks problems" and came up with:

http://www.bbb.org/raleigh-durham/busin ... complaints (28 complaints to the BBB in the last 3 years)

Other people with the same types of complaints:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread. ... -complaint

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompan ... 15412.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/scootworks.aspx

http://www.scaminformer.com/scam-report ... 71095.html

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/show ... e32&t=5403

http://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/inde ... 20678.html

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... lon-NC-FYI

http://www.merareview.com/comments/64186

http://www.volusiariders.com/68-vendors ... -wait.html

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Could be related to some one from Sabar cycles . Guess i wont be buying from them .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 am

I finally got around to getting the studs made. They're far better quality than the Scootworks studs, and having both of them made cost me a pizza. :) I'll put the whole thing on tonight, I think.

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby nsjoe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 am

Not too many places make stuff for you for food anymore. Nice fix.
Joe
Darksider #493

Jkson88
Motorcycle: 2001 vulcan 800 , 1980 Gs 850 bobber

I was screwed by scootworks

Postby Jkson88 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:48 pm

I orderd a $150 belt on oct 28th. And never recieved my belt. I kept asking. What the deal was and i kept getting excuses of his mechines were down or the power went out. Then by late january. I asked for my money back and then dave started ignoring me. I have reported scootworks to the better buisness berrou. And now its been passed my 60 day dispute window for my credit card company. I suppose ill never see my belt or money....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: I was screwed by scootworks

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Jkson88 wrote:I orderd a $150 belt on oct 28th. And never recieved my belt. I kept asking. What the deal was and i kept getting excuses of his mechines were down or the power went out. Then by late january. I asked for my money back and then dave started ignoring me. I have reported scootworks to the better buisness berrou. And now its been passed my 60 day dispute window for my credit card company. I suppose ill never see my belt or money....

Join the club - I was screwed by Scootworks as well. How that guy is still in business, I don't know. I ordered a handlebar riser. After weeks of complaining, he finally shipped it - with missing and wrong parts. Literally months of excuses (sorry, we just moved, sorry it got lost in the mail, sorry I forgot) and I finally gave up and had the parts I needed machined at a local machine shop.

Scootworks is pretty much a one-man show, his name is Dave Hockaday, and he is at best a dishonest vendor, at worst an outright crook. So many people have had the same types of experience with him, I lean towards the latter.

Add an entry to the Scootworks Vendor Database Entry so others will know as well.

Incidentally, BBB rates Scootworks with an F rating, with 49 complaints in the last three years. Compare that with Cyclemax, which has an A+ rating with zero complaints.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:27 am

One question......what is 'a belt' Is that a part or clothing?

Jkson88
Motorcycle: 2001 vulcan 800 , 1980 Gs 850 bobber

Postby Jkson88 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:31 am

it was a drive belt. For his own belt converssion kit he made up. Junk

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:03 pm

:shock: thanks alot...