Solar Battery Tender

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Solar Battery Tender

Postby SKMURDOCK » Wed May 09, 2012 7:45 am

I am very happy so far, with my solar powered Battery Tender.

In early March, after talking to the folks at Battery Tender, I bought their 10 Watt solar powered Battery Tender, and 25 foot extension. The charger has the same technology as the line-powered versions, so it is left hooked up, through a quick disconnect fitting. It also comes with alligator clips, for applications where that would make sense. I needed something like this because the outbuilding my Wing is in has no nearby power source.

At the time, Battery Tender did not have it in stock, and suggested XtremePartsWorld. Very happy with the customer service at both the manufacturer and the re-seller.

The bike has a standard auto parts store lead-acid battery, and before installing the charger, if I did not fire it up every 5 to 7 days it was necessary to drag out the jumper cables, or take the battery to a trickle charger. Anyway, I put the thing up on the south side of the building, paid no attention to any angle, just mounted it to the wall.

Because of shoulder surgery at about the same time, I did not ride for about a month, and have had a couple of times since then that two weeks pass before riding. Well, every time since installing the charger, my bike fires up first time, plenty of cranking power, and no worry if it does not catch, just hit the starter button again. No more getting the jumper cables and my pickup over to it. :D

If you are in a similar situation, I would recommend considering solar as an option for your battery.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Solar Battery Tender

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 am

I heard of a guy that put his on the dash of the bike with some glue.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 am

My dad has one up at his cabin for his ATV. They turn the power off when they're not there, so it's a perfect solution to keep the battery in his ATV charged.

I've seen quite a few of them at the airport up there as well. There's no power in the hangars, so the aircraft owners set up solar chargers to trickle charge their airplane batteries.

Some of the hangar owners have got quite elaborate wind/solar setups to charge banks of batteries that they use to power lights and tools in the hangars.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 pm

I looked up the Solar powered Charger by Deltran and was a bit shocked. I hadn't expected the $123 price tag. Guess I will stick with electricity.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

SKMURDOCK
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SKMURDOCK » Sat May 12, 2012 7:10 am

MikeB wrote:I looked up the Solar powered Charger by Deltran and was a bit shocked. I hadn't expected the $123 price tag. Guess I will stick with electricity.

Actually, so would I if not for my circumstances.

First, I am guessing you looked at the 15 watt version, currently $129 at the XtremePartsWorld web site. Deltran also has a 5, and 10 watt verson. For my wing, the 10 watt was recommended, and yep, $100 for it was a bit steep.

But so is bringing power to a building that is about 100 yards from my meter, across a small county road. My other option was to string about 100 feet of extension cord from the nearest outlet - using power from my renters meter.

And, at $100, it might actually pay for itself in avoided electricity costs before it wears out and needs a replacement! :)

Return to “Product Reviews”