GPS to Goldwing input device

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
Shodan
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Interstate

Re: GPS to Goldwing input device

Post by Shodan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:28 pm

What would I need to do to interface with my intercom on my 1982 GL1100 I. I would like to buy this if it works for my bike.

Thanks in advance.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 am

Shodan wrote:What would I need to do to interface with my intercom on my 1982 GL1100 I. I would like to buy this if it works for my bike.

Thanks in advance.
I've had a few people ask me this - it's electrically compatible, but the connectors are completely different. I've thought about creating a separate adapter kit that would work with the existing unit for GL1100/GL1200's - but again, with you, I've now had only two people ask me, so I'm not sure whether it would be worth the effort doing it. Because of how the DIN connectors are designed, it wouldn't be a simple thing to build.

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Post by ghostvet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

If it could allow using the mike on the cell phone, THAT would be something! I am still trying to figure that part out.

Maybe I could get this and wire in another mike in the helmet... hmmmm....

rowland
Motorcycle: goldwing1800 trike

Post by rowland » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:17 am

How do I get the info for purchasing the GPS input device.

I don't seem to be able to find the store?

Rowland

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 am

rowland wrote:How do I get the info for purchasing the GPS input device.

I don't seem to be able to find the store?

Rowland
It's at the top of the page, just click on "Store." Or, click here: http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing- ... -Input.asp

BrianD
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with CSC Cobra XL kit.

Post by BrianD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:23 am

Just added the GPS input device to my 2007 GL1800. Installation was easy (after I had dug the red connector out from up under the middle part of the fairing) and all tucked in neatly next to the storage box.
We had just had to buy a new Tomtom Rider 2013 as our old Series One Tomtom Rider had just given up the ghost after many years of keeping us from getting lost. Luckily the old Tomtom came with a Bluetooth receiver which we now use with the new unit.
Once we had adjusted the volume it was really great to once more be able to hear the directions through the headsets. It comes in nice and clear as well as the over speed warnings too - LOL.
I had jury-rigged a connecter to play into the auxiliary plug with the old one, but it just was not as good as straight into the headset cable.
Brilliant piece of kit and works really well. Thanx!
Dark Triker Downunder

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm

BrianD wrote:Just added the GPS input device to my 2007 GL1800. Installation was easy (after I had dug the red connector out from up under the middle part of the fairing) and all tucked in neatly next to the storage box.
We had just had to buy a new Tomtom Rider 2013 as our old Series One Tomtom Rider had just given up the ghost after many years of keeping us from getting lost. Luckily the old Tomtom came with a Bluetooth receiver which we now use with the new unit.
Once we had adjusted the volume it was really great to once more be able to hear the directions through the headsets. It comes in nice and clear as well as the over speed warnings too - LOL.
I had jury-rigged a connecter to play into the auxiliary plug with the old one, but it just was not as good as straight into the headset cable.
Brilliant piece of kit and works really well. Thanx!
Glad to hear it's working well for you! What's the bluetooth receiver that you're using?

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 am

WingAdmin wrote:Glad to hear it's working well for you! What's the bluetooth receiver that you're using?
It is the TomTom bluetooth device that came with the Series One TomTom Rider. They don't seem to sell them with the new Rider 2013 model (in fact they just don't seem to sell it at all now, just did a check of their website.)
Seems they think we all use bluetooth headsets (Scala) or something.
So we plug the bluetooth receiver onto the GPS input and it works really well.
You should be able to use any bluetooth receiver with it though. There are a number of different ones available on eBay from as little as $4.00.
Dark Triker Downunder

cal3san
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with MT Trike Kit (sold 9/13)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
w/1999 Lehman Trike Kit (sold 12/12)
1996 GL-1500A with 2009 Champion Trike Kit (sold 7/15)
2003 GL-1800 with 2113 Champion Trike Kit
2004 GL-1800 with 2004 MotorTrike Trike Kit
2007 Aspen Sentry Camper (sold 5/12)
2012 Mini-Mate Kompac Kamper
2014 TO Slipstream Camper (sold 7/16)

Post by cal3san » Thu May 01, 2014 12:51 pm

I was able interface a 2013 TomTomRider GPS, which does not have an audio output, to my 96 GL-1500 using the input device. Read about it in a separate post on this board.
YNCM-USN Retired (1964-1990)
RVN Veteran (MCB-53 1968)
PGR

robemil
Motorcycle: 1800 GOLDWING 2009

Post by robemil » Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I just installed the unit on 2009 Goldwing. Installation wasn't a problem. I noticed when I was setting the volume on Goldwing gps input device I had to turn it all the way up to get comfortable setting. Later I notice that the volume on the side of my garmin 550 was only half way up so adjusted it to max volume. The volume in the tools menu is at 100 %. The volume came up on the headset' and sounds good. So I took a test ride and I'm getting a lot of feed back from the engine. What should I do?

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Mon May 26, 2014 6:06 am

robemil wrote: So I took a test ride and I'm getting a lot of feed back from the engine. What should I do?
I only have the GPS Input Device volume at about 75% and TomTom volume at 75% and have good sound and no engine noise problems
Dark Triker Downunder

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 am

robemil wrote:I just installed the unit on 2009 Goldwing. Installation wasn't a problem. I noticed when I was setting the volume on Goldwing gps input device I had to turn it all the way up to get comfortable setting. Later I notice that the volume on the side of my garmin 550 was only half way up so adjusted it to max volume. The volume in the tools menu is at 100 %. The volume came up on the headset' and sounds good. So I took a test ride and I'm getting a lot of feed back from the engine. What should I do?
If you're getting engine noise, it must be coming from the Garmin - there is a ground loop isolator built into the input device to prevent engine noise coming across that way. If you plug a set of headphones into the Garmin, can you hear the engine noise in the headphones?

What about if you plug the input device into a different audio source - say a phone or MP3 player. Do you hear any noise then?

Snorebaby
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

Post by Snorebaby » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Need some more information on this product.

How do you input the audio into the system...through the mic input or the headphones?

I have a brand new Garmin Zumo 590LM and I want to integrate it into my 1990SE. The cabling for the Zumo has an Audio out, Audio in and Microphone jack. I BT my phone to the GPS and I want to be able to talk on the phone through the intercom system. If you input the audio with your system through the mic input, then I (and my passenger) should be able to talk on the phone (and voice dial) by connecting the mic jack and audio out jack (from the GPS) to your 3.5mm plug.

If your device inputs the audio on the headphone side of the intercom, using the same hookup as described above, should also work only because of the Microphone jack supplied by the GPS, correct?

I tried sending this thru PM but the PM stayed in my Outbox and not my sent folder.

alwims
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by alwims » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 am

Snorebaby wrote:Need some more information on this product.

How do you input the audio into the system...through the mic input or the headphones?

I have a brand new Garmin Zumo 590LM and I want to integrate it into my 1990SE. The cabling for the Zumo has an Audio out, Audio in and Microphone jack. I BT my phone to the GPS and I want to be able to talk on the phone through the intercom system. If you input the audio with your system through the mic input, then I (and my passenger) should be able to talk on the phone (and voice dial) by connecting the mic jack and audio out jack (from the GPS) to your 3.5mm plug.

If your device inputs the audio on the headphone side of the intercom, using the same hookup as described above, should also work only because of the Microphone jack supplied by the GPS, correct?

I tried sending this thru PM but the PM stayed in my Outbox and not my sent folder.
I'm hooking this up on my GL1200 and was told to splice into the mic side. Here is my thread about it. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22086

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 am

It stays in your outbox until it is read by the recipient, then it moves to your sent box. :)

The GPS Input takes audio from the GPS and puts it into the microphone of the intercom. It does not feed any audio back to the GPS. I have no idea what connecting the mic jack of the GPS to it will do - but the attenuation inside the GPS Input is enough that even if it was electrically compatible, the microphone signal from your headset mic would be attenuated enough that the GPS would never hear anything.

StownDoc
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing GL1500 with Motortrike

Post by StownDoc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Bought one of these a couple of months ago and only now took time to install it. Works great and gives clear messages. However I do get some alt. whine and hear the turn signals click in the ear phones. I would guess I don't have something right, any ideas ?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 pm

StownDoc wrote:Bought one of these a couple of months ago and only now took time to install it. Works great and gives clear messages. However I do get some alt. whine and hear the turn signals click in the ear phones. I would guess I don't have something right, any ideas ?
There definitely should not be any of that kind of noise. Try plugging a set of regular earphones directly into your GPS. If you still hear the noise, then the issue is with the GPS - if the GPS is producing the noise, the GPS Input will inject that same noise.

Snorebaby
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

Post by Snorebaby » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:30 pm

WingAdmin wrote:

It stays in your outbox until it is read by the recipient, then it moves to your sent box. :)

The GPS Input takes audio from the GPS and puts it into the microphone of the intercom. It does not feed any audio back to the GPS. I have no idea what connecting the mic jack of the GPS to it will do - but the attenuation inside the GPS Input is enough that even if it was electrically compatible, the microphone signal from your headset mic would be attenuated enough that the GPS would never hear anything.
Actually, it does work. I can talk on the phone through the GPS. It is not perfect, but if the audio was injected into the headphone side of the intercom, I think it would be cleaner and the Microphone input for the GPS would pick up the intercom (when splitting the intercom connection into the GPS Mic and Audio Out connections). It may not mute like it does now, but for my particular situation, I listen to music from my stock radio through the speakers and not the headset. I listen to the GPS music (Pandora in this case) through the GPS/Phone combination. The GPS mutes itself (the music) when instructions are given. It is just a suggestion that you may want to pursue (or not) that may be cleaner with a phone/gps combo. I know the music would be better if it didn't go through the mic input :D

The only issue with the phone that I have now is that the other person has an "echo" where the last word they said is heard by them. I don't use it to have a lengthy conversation, just to get a quick bit of info or if I need to head back now so it is not a big deal for me at this point.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 am

Snorebaby wrote:Actually, it does work. I can talk on the phone through the GPS. It is not perfect, but if the audio was injected into the headphone side of the intercom, I think it would be cleaner and the Microphone input for the GPS would pick up the intercom (when splitting the intercom connection into the GPS Mic and Audio Out connections). It may not mute like it does now, but for my particular situation, I listen to music from my stock radio through the speakers and not the headset. I listen to the GPS music (Pandora in this case) through the GPS/Phone combination. The GPS mutes itself (the music) when instructions are given. It is just a suggestion that you may want to pursue (or not) that may be cleaner with a phone/gps combo. I know the music would be better if it didn't go through the mic input :D

The only issue with the phone that I have now is that the other person has an "echo" where the last word they said is heard by them. I don't use it to have a lengthy conversation, just to get a quick bit of info or if I need to head back now so it is not a big deal for me at this point.
I actually tried doing exactly this before. I modified a Bluetooth headset and hooked it into the intercom the way you describe. I also experienced the "echo" issue - and with digital phones delaying audio by about a quarter of a second each way, the caller would speak, it would go through the phone and Bluetooth, into my intercom, then back out to the phone again. The caller would hear their own voice about half a second after they spoke, which made it extremely difficult for them to talk.

I actually designed a bluetooth/cell phone integration circuit for Goldwings that would integrate the cell phone in a very slick way into the intercom, as well as funnel music from the phone into the headphones if desired, but I never took it beyond the prototype stage, for a number of reasons.

alwims
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by alwims » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:57 pm

I am really a happy camper now. I just went out and blue toothed my phone to my GPS and made a call to my wife and it worked perfect through my helmet mic and headphones. Only thing I had to do was set the GPS to headset and all worked perfect on My '87 GL1200A.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Now installed in the F6B

Post by MSGT-R » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:12 am

Your device is now installed in an F6B, powering a Zumo-450.

Kennedy Technologies is out of business (the last kit in our 2005, now gone)
Bike MP3 wanted me to take pictures (? the guy owns an F6B..)
I called Wing Stuff, no joy.
I was referred to a wing specialist in Santa Ana, CA. Knew what I was talking about, but didn't have a kit.
I was referred to J&M Speakers, same story.
I was referred to Sierra Electronics to get this item, not even imagining that I could find it here.
Zumo-450 uses an mono-plug, so I had an additional trip to Radio Shack to get an adapter.

There it is in a nutshell.
Don't spook the road sheep.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Now installed in the F6B

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

MSGT-R wrote:Your device is now installed in an F6B, powering a Zumo-450.

Kennedy Technologies is out of business (the last kit in our 2005, now gone)
Bike MP3 wanted me to take pictures (? the guy owns an F6B..)
I called Wing Stuff, no joy.
I was referred to a wing specialist in Santa Ana, CA. Knew what I was talking about, but didn't have a kit.
I was referred to J&M Speakers, same story.
I was referred to Sierra Electronics to get this item, not even imagining that I could find it here.
Zumo-450 uses an mono-plug, so I had an additional trip to Radio Shack to get an adapter.

There it is in a nutshell.
Hey there, nice to see you back! I take it you eventually sold your green GL1100?

Any issues plugging it into the F6B, or did it go right in like the GL1800? Also, did it not function in the Zumo 450? It should work with either a stereo or mono plug.

MSGT-R
81 GL1100 (gone)

Post by MSGT-R » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 pm

The 1100 was wrecked by a left turner (mid block) in a 40 mph zone two years ago last April. I had barely a split second to attempt a swerve to avoid a t-bone. It was a twisted total loss. I have nine screws in my left ankle, and lasting joint pain (range of motion) in my right shoulder and left knee. I couldn't ride for 6 months. The settlement was enough to pay cash for the F6B after all the bills were settled.

The Zumo-450 came with a mono plug, so I just got an adapter to keep it that way. Sometimes if the bands don't line up inside the hole, you get no sound. I'll try it both ways (I haven't taken it out yet, too hot today).

The rest was easy-pesy. The red plug is the same in both models.
It took me longer to put the power plug in the fairing pocket.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:04 am

MSGT-R wrote:The 1100 was wrecked by a left turner (mid block) in a 40 mph zone two years ago last April. I had barely a split second to attempt a swerve to avoid a t-bone. It was a twisted total loss. I have nine screws in my left ankle, and lasting joint pain (range of motion) in my right shoulder and left knee. I couldn't ride for 6 months. The settlement was enough to pay cash for the F6B after all the bills were settled.

The Zumo-450 came with a mono plug, so I just got an adapter to keep it that way. Sometimes if the bands don't line up inside the hole, you get no sound. I'll try it both ways (I haven't taken it out yet, too hot today).

The rest was easy-pesy. The red plug is the same in both models.
It took me longer to put the power plug in the fairing pocket.
That's horrible! I know you're a skilled rider, so there really must have been just no way out. I'm glad you're up and (relatively) ok now.

I have had some people report that they were getting no sound out of their GPS; in every case the problem was that the plug wasn't fully seated in the jack, which would cause the bands to (obviously) not line up correctly. Might want to give it an extra little push just to make sure. One user had a strange GPS that had had restricted access to the jack, he had to trim a bit of plastic off the plug to allow it to fully seat in the jack.

MSGT-R
81 GL1100 (gone)

Post by MSGT-R » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Mine had no sound because the factory setting for the intercom was zero volume.. :lol:

I can hear the "boop, boop, boop" of the key strokes now; Betty won't b*tch at me until I take her for a ride.