G-max 3/4 helmet

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

G-max 3/4 helmet

Postby yechave » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 am

This is my first 3/4 helmet. I bought a white helmet with black accents. It looks a lot nicer than it did in the catalog when I ordered it. It also feels a lot better than either Nolan I own. My SO bought the G-max 1/2 helmet which also looks much nicer than the pic from the catalog. Both were around $95 each. The 3/4 helmet is at least a pound lighter than the Nolan.

I am really pleased with this. My previous helmets were the BellStar full face, and two more recent Nolan modulars.

The first Nolan I bought was the only helmet I could find that was pretty decent and allowed me to put the helmet on while keeping the prescription glasses on. The second came with the GW and was wired for the bike, which was priceless. IMO, they both have little if any air flow via the vents. I even opened up the styro channels in the helmet with a 3/8" socket extension, and still not much of any venting to speak of.

I was looking for a cooler helmet for summer, more comfy and less weight. This is it!

The increased visibility is fantastic!

I have no problem listening to music, the GPS or the CB. The only issue is my SO needs to talk much louder to communicate, having been spoiled with the GW Com system using the Nolan helmets.

The small sunshade allows me to see better driving towards the sun. More useful than it would seem.
The built in sun visor works pretty well and I find myself using that on top of the polarized sunglasses quite often. I have the F4 Customs +4' windshield and get virtually no wind in my face. I have not yet found a need for the flip up visor, but probably be very much appreciated if I found myself driving in a downpour.

The only downside if there is one is the chin strap and poor quality, flat D rings. I really like the Nolan snap straps so much better. That is so fast and comfy, I have yet to find anything better.

Another reason I went with the 3/4 is, my neck is fused and the weight of the full face combined with bad roads, can be very painful. That problem is lessened considerably with the lighter helmet.

Seems the dealer pretty much carries one color in their G-max helmets (black), everything else is special order.

I wanted to be seen and have the white reflect the sunlight to keep the noggin as cool as possible.

This has exceeded my expectations for a helmet in this price range.

ResDog70
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Re: G-max 3/4 helmet

Postby ResDog70 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Which model is it?

I have a GMAX 67s which I LOVE. It's a 3/4 helmet, comes with the visor trim and a clear full-face shield for different looks. My favorite feature? The built in, drop-down smoke shield! I wear prescription glasses, have a head that still one-size larger than their biggest helmet offering (XXXL, and it's STILL a little too tight, but not after sanding/shaping the foam lining a little), and that shield still drops down over my glasses!

Headphone pockets in the ear wells... Standard Visor Trim is made of eclipse glass, so you can actually stare at the sun directly... detachable, washable, comfortable padding... I was incredibly impressed with G-Max.

Glad to see others are, too!

WVJefo
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade "The 12"
1994 1500 Aspencade "The Black

Postby WVJefo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am

I agree with ResDog. Just got a G max. New bike = New helmet. Price was $90.00 at Iron Pony in Columbus. Great looking helmet with very cool drop down visor. Has that fighter pilot look. I got the optional rear light.

Really has a red light at the back or the helmet. It runs on batteries & has three settings. On , Flash & Quick Flash. Only $17.00. My woman likes hers too.

4 1/2 stars out of 5. Good looking, good price, & has neat tricks. ( Only my lady gets 5 stars, everything else is less )

Jeff

yechave
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby yechave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 pm

User update: I had my original replaced under warranty due to a lot of noise with the liner making creaking noises after installing a Card com system. Had the same problem with the second helmet. I didn't use it at all without the Cardo, so not sure if it would have been an issue anyway.

Still, probably the most comfy helmet I have used since I started riding again. I have 4 Nolan modulars that sit here and used only in cold temps now.

I have used the Cardo in almost all the helmets and the G-max is the only one I have had noise issues with after the install.

I used electrical tape across the top and even more across the bottom to keep the sun out of my eyes. That works great as I like riding with the visor up.

Great helmet overall!

William Lugg
Motorcycle: 2012 ABS/BLUE

Postby William Lugg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 am

I have considered purchasing the Gmax 67. Seems like alot of helmet for the price. Have you all installed speakers in yours? Which speakers and is it pretty easy to do your own install? Thanks :)
Vin

ResDog70
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Postby ResDog70 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi William,

Yes, speakers are super easy to install. Whole liner comes out in 3 pieces: Head liner + each ear/cheek pad. Ear pads have the standard speaker pouch in them.

My headsets are the cheapest J&M offer... I think they are like $80 bucks or something. They fit perfectly.

Now, if I can only keep my Auto Volume Unit to keep from shorting out, I'll be solid. Actually, I'm going to be bypassing the AVU and TONE unit altogether, I think.

William Lugg
Motorcycle: 2012 ABS/BLUE

Postby William Lugg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Resdog,

Thanks for the reply. The speakers you have....how do they sound?

vin
Vin

rcrab
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 A
1999 GL1500 SE

Postby rcrab » Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 am

We bought a set of these last year from Chrome World. They came with the J&M headset installed. Like the weight and the comfort of the helmet. Great airflow and they look nice. I see that there is a light kit you can buy for the back of this set. Don't know where you can get it. It just drops in the top of the helmet after you remove a small screw. The only problem I have had was the mics picking up road noise and wind. The foam windsock that came with the mic didn't do much to fix the problem. The company sent me a hard rubber cover that goes over the windsock. That made a lot of difference but it is always catching on my collar or vest. I finally lost it the other day and we are back to the defining noise again. Speakers don't sound as good as the older J&Ms it have in the old helmets. I think that is caused by the mic issue. Like the helmet though very comfy. The pearl white matches my 99 SE very well. I replaced my stock speakers with the high output J&Ms on the bike. I don't use the speaker in the helmets unless my wife is with me or the CB. I find the more noise on the road, the more the caggers watch me. So I crank it up!

Return to “Product Reviews”