Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Baker Hand Wings

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 am

I've long been a fan of Baker Built Wings - with the amount of heat our Wings generate, coupled with large fairings and windshields, our bikes can be absolute ovens in hot weather. Baker Built Wings are small plexiglass "wings" that mount to the outer edges of the fairing, on pivots. The wings can be pivoted to "scoop up" air passing by and direct it into the cockpit, cooling the rider. As well, they can be angled outward in cold weather, directing cold air away from the rider (and passenger).

On a recent ride through this sweltering heat wave, a friend pointed out the Baker "Hand Wings" that he had mounted on his GL1800. They bolt to the bottom of the mirrors, and are relatively small. I figured that such a small thing wouldn't have much effect, but he said they made a huge difference directing air exactly where it needed to be - on the rider's chest. In cold weather, he said they helped keep your fingers from freezing.

I looked at the same item for my GL1500, and it appears they just clamp onto the plastic bottom of the mirror. The GL1800 has a metal frame inside the mirror that the wings bolt into; I was a bit worried that mounting the wings onto the plastic of my GL1500 mirrors would cause vibration or worse - cracks and failure. I asked Gary at Cyclemax about this, and he says out of the many hundreds of GL1500 models he has sold, he has never had a single report of this happening - and never had any complaints at all, in fact. To be doubly sure, I asked on my site here if anyone had them, and if so - did they have vibration problems? The answer was the same - no problems of any kind. So I went ahead and ordered a set.

I ordered a clear set; they also come in two shades of tint. Mounting them was quite simple, took about ten minutes per side, and involved the use of an allen key - which was included - and a small wrench, which was not.

Basically, there is a clamp with rubber insulation to protect the mirror housing. This clamp has a set screw on the bottom, with a rubber-covered bushing. Tightening the set screw, then a jam nut, it's mounted securely to the mirror. Another rubber bushing, the (already assembled) wing, and another nut, and you're done. The GL1800 version does away with the clamp, and instead bolts directly to the bottom of the mirror.

So, how do they work? Unbelievably well! The amount of air that they move in toward the rider is just amazing - my mesh jacket was rippling around in the wind, and the air was a welcome respite in this unbelievable heat wave. I can't believe that I've gone this long without them! I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the look of the bracket on the mirror, but functionally they are excellent.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Baker Hand Wings

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I can't believe that I've gone this long without them! I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the look of the bracket on the mirror, but functionally they are excellent.

That's the reason I haven't bought them - looks and mounting. Thankfully we don't get the heat you do here as you know.

I was given a windshield that had some wings attached. Work fairly well. Haven't seen anything like it around.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 am

WingAdmin wrote:I've long been a fan of Baker Built Wings - with the amount of heat our Wings generate, but functionally they are excellent.

I agree. I rode with some yesterday and while I cannot be sure on the deflection value (since I have no comparison), the air coming in once turned was massive.

bigm27
Motorcycle: 2009 Silver GL1800AD Gold Wing

Postby bigm27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I have both the mirror and lower body sets. My wife was always complaining about buffeting wind around her helmet but no more with the lowers. I like the mirror wings as well as they cool me off when it's a tad warm wearing all the gear.

I would highly recommend them and they are easy to install.
Four wheels moves the body
Two wheels moves the soul.

Gerald

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:21 am

I have found that the Baker Hand Wings (and the Wind Wings) are a vital piece of comfort driven touring equipment.
As already stated, they conveniently allow cooling air directed where you want it (upper body) and block a lot of cold air to your hands, when the temps drop. I have found that since I installed the Hand Wings and installed a set of grip heaters, I rarely use my heated gloves anymore, as this combination allows me to wear my summer weight Tour Master Air Intake gloves down into the lower 40s and a pair of unlined, thick leather gauntlets below that, until the snows arrive forcing my bike off the road for the winter.

One word of advice about the materials used for the plastics on any of the Baker Built products I have gained over the 5 years and many thousands of miles using them and that is to order them with the 'New Generation' material/plastic, as the older versions become brittle after a number of years due to UV Rays/Age and will crack when you go to adjust them!! :(

As for the 'looks' ... you either like them, or not. To me, it's all about function and in that department, they work very well!

Dusty

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 am

Having an 1100 limits us, I believe, to just the 'wind wings' - does ANYONE know of any company anywhere that makes either hand wings or the lower ones that mount to the engine guards? :?: :?:
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:24 am

NKYWinger wrote:Having an 1100 limits us, I believe, to just the 'wind wings' - does ANYONE know of any company anywhere that makes either hand wings or the lower ones that mount to the engine guards? :?: :?:

I wonder if you could fit a second set of wind wings to the upper fairing, next to the storage compartments, to direct wind inward, kind of like the hand wings?

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Good question.....I guess the only way to know for sure is to get the first set and see where else they might reasonably work.....
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 am

I see that Wing World has the Baker Hand/Wind Wings on sale this week!

Remember! - the new generation ones will last longer, so are worth the minimal extra cost in the long run! ;)

Dusty

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 am

WingAdmin wrote: wonder if you could fit a second set of wind wings to the upper fairing, next to the storage compartments, to direct wind inward, kind of like the hand wings?

Don't know why you would want to try???? I'm sure Baker has studied wind deflection/movement enough that he has the products that work best!
Mirror Wings or Hand Wings are the single best change for the buffeting my wife was experiencing! Don't understand why but they were.
Also have the upper/lower Wind Wings and since I triked, I also have the Baker Trike Wings. Sure keeps the bugs off the fenders at highway speeds.
A version for 2wheelers is available. These are the ones that mount to the crash bars!
The "new" material, which has been around a long time, is polycarbonate. It is a "tougher" material than the acrylic used. Should also be one's choice for Windshields! ala F4 if interested.

rcrab
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 A
1999 GL1500 SE

Postby rcrab » Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 am

1100 owners rejoice. I have a set on my 83 Aspy and just love them. The ones I have are for the 1800 big wing on top and little one on the bottom. I love them. They are the two bar mount like the ones on my 1200 Iny state but have an extra swing hinge on the bottom wing. I never use the big wing. It is always against the faring. On hot days I open the bottom wing and it directs air between my legs where needed.They're awesome! I don't know how I got along without them during the winter months. It is like having a heater. My bike has the lower radiator wing behind the front tire, which was another great idea. I would rather ride the 1100 during cold days than the 1500. It has the factory SE wings and don't work near as well. I bought these wings from the Honda dealer. They are pround of there products, price wise, but I love them.

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 pm

rcab-
can you show us a pic?
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

rcrab
1999 GL1500 SE

Postby rcrab » Sun May 05, 2013 5:17 pm

How do I load it? Think I got it.
Attachments
Here ya go???
Here ya go???

rcrab
1999 GL1500 SE

Postby rcrab » Sun May 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Here is the other side. It mounted right to the bolts on the radio on the left side had to drill for the right side.
Attachments

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Postby CaptLen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread- I installed the upper/lower combination and li,e them; the hand wings just arrived- to be installed shortly. I did get "New Gen" material.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:59 am

I bought a set of these Hand Wings earlier this month, they arrived in the mail last Thursday night, Friday morning they were installed and I was out for a 'test' ride. 4hrs and 279km later I can say without reservation these hand wings are OUTSTANDING. Although the weather was unseasonably warm (14c) on Friday there were still areas of very cold (near freezing) air. Without the handwings I would not have been able to ride as long and as far as I did. Nearly all air was blocked from my hands, with only a small draft being pushed upwards from the unknown brand of 'air' wings mounted on my bike. If anyone is looking for something to help with cooler temp riding this is the ticket.
Craig

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am

CWJ73 wrote:I bought a set of these Hand Wings earlier this month, they arrived in the mail last Thursday night, Friday morning they were installed and I was out for a 'test' ride. 4hrs and 279km later I can say without reservation these hand wings are OUTSTANDING. Although the weather was unseasonably warm (14c) on Friday there were still areas of very cold (near freezing) air. Without the handwings I would not have been able to ride as long and as far as I did. Nearly all air was blocked from my hands, with only a small draft being pushed upwards from the unknown brand of 'air' wings mounted on my bike. If anyone is looking for something to help with cooler temp riding this is the ticket.

They really do make a huge difference, more than any other "wing" product. You'll also notice when it gets warm, that they bring in a ton of cooling air, again, more than any other wing or vent.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:They really do make a huge difference, more than any other "wing" product. You'll also notice when it gets warm, that they bring in a ton of cooling air, again, more than any other wing or vent.

It was your review and the followup messages that convinced me to purchase the hand wings.

Craig

Return to “Product Reviews”