Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Tire SafeGuard TPMS

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 pm

A year or so ago, I started looking into TPMS (tire pressure management systems) for motorcycles. I looked at quite a few different products, and kept coming back to one called Tire Safeguard, sold by HCI Industries. There appeared to be very little information about this unit on the Internet however. The manufacturer's web site appears to focus to products for tractor trailers and large motorhomes, and doesn't even make mention of a motorcycle unit. The only place the motorcycle unit seemed to be available was from the manufacturer, sold only from a single Amazon.com page, with a retail price of $169. That's an excellent price for this type of system, so I was definitely interested.

The unit can be configured to show two (motorcycle), three (trike), four (motorcycle with trailer) or five (trike with trailer) tires. I wanted to use it on my GL1500 with trailer, so I wanted the main unit and two extra tire pressure sensors. Unfortunately, there is no way to purchase this online: the pricing sheet shows extra sensors at $50 each, but in order to purchase them, it says just "Call". I sent an email to their listed email address asking about ordering...but after several days received no reply. So I picked up the phone and called.

The phone (obviously someone's cell phone) was answered abruptly by...well, someone. He spoke so quickly I couldn't catch his name. I asked about ordering the unit with two extra sensors. He mentioned that the unit they shipped now was "a bit different" than what was shown on the site, as they had moved the USB/charging port to the back of the device, and were now using smaller wheel sensors with user-replaceable batteries. I asked what the price would be, being that their own web site showed it at $159 + $50 per extra sensor, and the Amazon site listed it (at the time) at $189. He said that he would "honor the old price" and took my credit card information. I got the impression he was writing it on a scrap of paper as he drove down the road somewhere.

Ten days later...no charge on my credit card, nothing arrived. I called back, and got the same guy, again on his cell phone somewhere. I asked about my order, and he had no recollection of taking it. He took my name and said he would call me back. I didn't hold my breath.

Surprisingly, he did call back in just a few minutes, said again that he had no record of my order, hurriedly took my name and credit card information again, and before I could mention the pricing...he was gone - no mention of what he was going to charge me.

Two days later, I got my unit in the mail. Along with it, was an invoice for $239, plus $7 shipping. Let's see - two $50 sensors, that means I was charged $139 for the unit? I don't know how it was broken out, all it said was:

TPM-B22M Tire pressure monitoring system for 2-wheeled motorcycle towing a 2-tire trailer using external B1 cap sensor with replaceable battery: $239

OK, never mind, it was less than I was expecting to pay, I'll take it!

The box looked decent and professional, and showed the four different modes in use on the front:

Opening it up, I found a sheet of (ahem) instructions, the head unit, four sensors (with "1", "2", "3" and "4" stickers on top), a piece of adhesive velcro to mount the unit, a USB to mini-USB cable, and a charger. Surprisingly, as soon as I took the unit out of the box, it turned on - it has a motion sensor in it that turns it on whenever it senses movement.

The first thing I did was look at the (ahem) instructions. They consisted of a single sheet of paper, which I will share with you: http://goldwingdocs.com/images/Review/Tire_Safeguard_TPMS/TireSafeguard%20Motorcycle%20TPMS.pdf

To say that they are brief would be a brief understatement. As I became familiar with the system, I realized that not only are the instructions brief, they are incomplete - there are features of the system (for instance, the ability to adjust the pressure readings to compensate for error) that aren't even mentioned in the instructions. The instructions are brief, confusing, and poorly written. Fortunately, the device was already set up and configured for me - honestly, all I had to do was put the sensors on the appropriate tire valves, stick the unit on my dashboard, and I would be ready to go.

Looking at the back of the unit, you can see the port for the USB charger, a battery switch and a port for the alarm sound. The case has cutouts on the top and bottom for it to fit into a plastic mounting bracket, but no such bracket was supplied.

So...the battery switch. The unit has an internal Li-Ion battery. Plug the USB charger in, switch the battery to "On", and it will charge the battery - and the unit will be powered up while this is happening. When the unit is in battery mode, the screen backlight will turn off after ten minutes, and the unit itself will go into "sleep mode" after twenty minutes of no motion being detected. As soon as it detects motion, it switches itself back on again.

If the battery switch is set to "Off", and nothing is plugged in, the unit is off. Plug in the USB cord with it set to "Off" and the unit turns on, with the backlight on all the time (no timeout). I decided this would be how I would wire it - I mounted a small 12V-to-5V USB adapter inside my fairing, plugged the USB cord into it, and threaded the other end out to where I mounted the unit. This way, when I switch my bike on, the unit turns on and lights up, and stays that way until I turn the bike off, at which point it turns off. I'm not using the battery at all.

The tire sensors are certainly quite a bit smaller than those I have seen on other TPMS systems. No information in the (ahem) instructions is given on replacing the batteries in them, but by examining them, I could deduce that rotating the black plastic portion counter-clockwise against the brass part, it could be removed - I could feel a rubber gasket in there as I turned it, although I did not open it to figure out what type of battery it uses (nor is anything mentioned about this in the instructions).

SAFETY NOTE: On bikes such as the GL1500 and GL1800 that have right-angled tire valve stems, it is suicide to mount these sort of sensors on the end of the valves - the considerable centripetal force exerted by the sensors on the valves, along with the plastic valve supports, can lever the rubber-based valve stems right out of the wheels when you are riding at high speed, causing an instant and catastrophic deflation. This could be deadly - so if you are considering such a system, you MUST first replace your rubber-base valve stems with with fixed, screw-in stems.

OEM valve stem with rubber base
OEM valve stem with rubber base

Steel screw-in valve stem
Steel screw-in valve stem

The pressure sensors depress the schraeder valves inside the valve stems to allow air pressure to reach them, so you definitely don't want the sensors accidentally coming loose, and letting all the air out of your tire. For this reason, they come with locking rings. You put the locking ring on first, then screw the sensor on. Once the sensor is tight, you put the locking ring in place against the base of the sensor, where it fits into a series of slots. You then tighten a set screw in the locking ring, which pushes against the threads on the stem to keep it from moving. You don't need to do this too tightly, otherwise it can damage the stem. I thought about using some thread locking solution on the set screw, but quickly realized that the sensor and locking ring will need to be removed every time air is added to the tire - so keep the included allen key on hand in a place you won't lose it!

Once installed, the sensor is quite unobtrusive, and much smaller than sensors I have seen on other systems. I don't know whether or not the sensor is heavy enough to affect wheel balance, because I have Dynabeads in my tires, which automatically adjust to any wheel imbalance.

I also installed sensors 3 and 4 on my trailer wheels. It had rather long rubber valve stems, so I replaced them with small, steel stems as well.

Once powered up, the unit starts looking for signals from the wheels. It cycles through each wheel, about a second at a time, showing the temperature and tire pressure of each one. It appears that each sensor has a small motion sensor in it, because as long as the wheel isn't moving, it does not show a reading on the screen. Once the wheel has moved however, it continuously updates the reading on the screen. It would show pressures and temperatures for my motorcycle, but not for my trailer (which was located on the other side of the garage). I went over to the trailer, gave each of its wheels a kick, and the device then started reading pressures and temperatures from the trailer wheels.

So how does it work? Amazingly well! I was blown away by what my tires are doing at highway speed. My front tire remains only slightly above ambient temperature while the pressure increases about 5 psi, whereas my rear tire increased 6 psi and went up from 80 degrees (ambient), leveling out at 111 degrees. I expect this is from lack of airflow around the rear wheel.

There are alerts you can set up for low pressure, high pressure and high temperature. It will also alert you to a slow leak. The unit beeps and flashes a red light when these occur.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the unit, and I'm glad I purchased it, despite misgivings over interactions with the company.

Pros:
- Obviously very well engineered
- Small sensors
- Graphics and numbers on the screen are easy to read and interpret at a glance
- Works out of the box with no configuration or sensor "learning" required
- Simple installation
- Large screen

Cons:
- Bad customer interaction/purchase experience
- Dismal instructions
- Large screen (yes, it's also a Con, as it makes it more challenging to find a place to mount it)

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Re: Tire SafeGuard TPMS

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:03 pm

I got the same guy. When I called after two weeks, he then told me they had been back ordered and that they didn't charge until shipped. Magically, the latest shipment had just come in and was shipped. Two days later, mine showed up. Easy to install on my GL1200 LTD. My rear stem is a 45 degree stem (appears to be screw in). Installed the extras on my Escapade trailer, then configured for just the bike until I go to drag the trailer around. Sounds like I probably should get metal stems for my trailer as the current ones are rubber.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I've got a straight rubber stem on the front tire - should I replace it before using the TPMS?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Phunnybone wrote:I've got a straight rubber stem on the front tire - should I replace it before using the TPMS?

The straight rubber stems are fine, as the force is straight out the center of the tire, which won't bend your stems. It's only the 90 degree stems that exert the side force on the stem bases.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm

. . . and of course, every time I try to take a pic of my metal 45 degree rear stem, the camera focuses on the rotor.

Rear metal stem with TPMS sensor
Rear metal stem with TPMS sensor

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:40 pm

That's a bolt-on stem, you should have no problem with that.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Found the perfect place to mount my monitor - on the hinged cassette door (I can even flip it up with the monitor in place).

I haven't set warning parameters yet (inflated my Elite II to 40psi front and 41psi rear - as recommended for that tire on Dunlop's site).
I have noticed that the rear tire temp will go up to 30 degrees more than the front tire temp (my weight making it work harder?).

I haven't the faintest idea what the max pressure and max temps should be set at for these tires. Any ideas?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 pm

I also noticed the rear tire temp gets MUCH hotter than the front. I suspect a lot of engine heat is getting dumped back there, plus it has exhausts on either side.

As for the max parameters - I decided to take the values I saw when riding home from Wing Ding in 105 degree heat, add 10 degrees and 5 psi to those values, and use them as "max" values.

Hallct
Motorcycle: 1995 goldwing 1500SE 20th Anniversary

Postby Hallct » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Got mine mounted Friday and love it. I found a ram mount that fits it that will be here tomorrow and will use a ram mount to hold it in, Don't trust the Velcro strip. Came back from Oklahoma City yesterday in a 40MPH crosswind for 225 miles, and rear tire got up to 137F but it sure gives me a piece of mind to just look at the gauge,
Thats for the advice guys.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 am

Hallct wrote:Got mine mounted Friday and love it. I found a ram mount that fits it that will be here tomorrow and will use a ram mount to hold it in, Don't trust the Velcro strip. Came back from Oklahoma City yesterday in a 40MPH crosswind for 225 miles, and rear tire got up to 137F but it sure gives me a piece of mind to just look at the gauge,
Thats for the advice guys.

I didn't trust the Velcro strip either, so I instead used a high-strength Velcro strip that I already had. That way I can take it off if I'm parking in a dicey area, but the thing has stayed put through thousands of miles of riding.

I noticed a month or so ago that the updates were becoming intermittent - I guessed that the batteries in the sensors were dead, so I ordered some new ones (cheap from http://www.24hourbatteries.com ) - they take CR1632 batteries. I put the new batteries in, and all was good again. I don't know how old the batteries were in them when I got them, so I'll watch now to see how long these batteries last.

Hallct

Postby Hallct » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

I took a video of mine in use the other day, and will post it on YouTube if there is any interest to see it in action.

Hallct

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 am

Sure, post it here, I'm sure people would like to see it!

Hallct

Re: Tire SafeGuard TPMS (video)

Postby Hallct » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:02 am

Well I finally got the video uploaded to youtube. I did not fancy it up on Pinacle Studio, just a straight upload, But you can see how the system works. I was pulling my trailer and it was reading all 4 tires.

Enjoy

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 am

My 09 has a factory TPMS which is handy except that it does not identify which tire is out of spec. I like that about the one you show here. If Honda is paying attention they should upgrade the factory system to display tire pressure/temp since the display screen on the GL1800 is big enough to watch TV on so viewing space is not an issue. If Honda were to do this I am sure they will not include the ability to monitor trailer tire pressure since the owners manual says "Do not tow trailer" or something to that effect. Nice report. Thanks.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 am

:?: :?: :?: admin:

In your first post, photo #7, you show a bracket that supports the 90 degree valve stem - where didja get those :?: :?: :?: I'm getting ready to get the same system (bike and trailer) and would like to know where those brackets came from....

Gracias!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:01 am

NKYWinger wrote: :?: :?: :?: admin:

In your first post, photo #7, you show a bracket that supports the 90 degree valve stem - where didja get those :?: :?: :?: I'm getting ready to get the same system (bike and trailer) and would like to know where those brackets came from....

Gracias!

They're standard GL1500 and GL1800 OEM - if you look, there is actually a tab cast into the wheel that holds the tab in place. You can see them here: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/oem_val ... lder/23384

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:06 am

hmmmm... that looks like something that I could epoxy on to my rims...whatcha think?
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

NKYWinger wrote:hmmmm... that looks like something that I could epoxy on to my rims...whatcha think?

They're cheap, can't hurt to try!

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 am

I guess my other option is just to use the short straight metal valve stems... no worries about centrifugal side loads then.
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 am

I've had this system on my bike for a year now, so I thought I would post an update.

I still love it - its combination of features is exactly what I was looking for - so much so, that I bought a second unit to install on my wife's bike.

So, a year on, my pros and cons:

Pros:
  • The bright, big screen lets you see your tire pressures at a glance, day or night
  • It plugs directly into a 5 volt USB power supply, so it is easily powered by your bike - no batteries to deal with
  • It easily reconfigures to show my trailer (or not) depending on whether or not I'm towing it
  • Sensors are easily removeable to top up tire pressures
  • I love seeing the tire temperatures, which tells me early on of any pending problems. I'm amazed at how hot the rear tire gets, with all the hot engine air back there!

Cons:
  • The maximum pressure for the alert is too low for Goldwings with Avon tires. I run the rear at 51psi cold when loaded, and this goes up quite a bit when the tire gets hot - beyond what you can set for the over pressure warning. I've communicated this to the manufacturer, they said they're going to look into changing it.
  • The beeper alarm is incessant (see overpressure warning, above). I solved this by disassembling it and ripping the beeper off the circuit board.
  • The sensor batteries don't last anywhere near what I would like. I get around 3 months or 2,000 miles out of them. There's no warning of a low battery, it just stops working for that tire. Batteries can be had for cheap online, however.

Overall I still think it's one of the best motorcycle systems available today, and the price has come down since my original review - it's now $169 instead of $189 on Amazon: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) by Tire-Safeguard

NKYWinger
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 am

admin-
thanx for the update; I think I'll be doing this during this winter's down time. I use ME880's so I don't believe I'll have the warning issue that you experience.
I pull a trailer, so the temp/pressure indication for all 4 tires is a great thing.
:D Keep up the good work!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

captaindan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Postby captaindan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:29 am

I have read where nitrogen in your tires runs cooler than 02. Be an interesting experiment if someone had the time and has this system installed.

RedBear
Motorcycle: Honda GL 1800 2002

Postby RedBear » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Is the display waterproof or do you have to protect it from the elements?
Red

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 pm

It's not waterproof as far as I can tell. I carry zip lock baggies with me, and when I'm facing rain, just put the zip lock bag over top of it (and my other electronics, like satellite radio, GPS, etc).

Rapier
Motorcycle: 2010 XM/Navi/Audio/ABS

Postby Rapier » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Just received my unit and I was wondering what RAM mount you used for yours. Thanks in advance!

"Age is just a number."
2011 USA Four Corners Tour Finisher
SS1000

Return to “Product Reviews”