Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Tire SafeGuard TPMS

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Rapier wrote:Just received my unit and I was wondering what RAM mount you used for yours. Thanks in advance!
I didn't. I used high-strength velcro to stick it directly to the right side speaker grille.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Just an update for this product: I've found that the rubber O-rings on the sensors themselves are not well lubricated. After having changed the batteries a few times, the O-ring shredded and broke. So definitely lubricate those O-rings when inserting a new battery - a non-petroleum water-based lubricant is best. KY Jelly is perfect.

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
2003 GL1800
2006 GL1800 Motor Trike w/2008 Lees-ure Lite

Post by NKYWinger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote: KY Jelly is perfect.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'06 GL1800 Motor Trike
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

gwcam55
Motorcycle: None yet

Post by gwcam55 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:43 pm

This is not quite on Tire safeguard, but I have a 2010 with factory TPMS and book indicates that I should NOT use a tire sealant. Anyone with experience with this messing up the TPMS??

Kemoloney
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A with SE Enhancements

Post by Kemoloney » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 am

I almost went with the Tire SafeGuard model but after considerable research, I instead chose to go with the model made by Mobiletron and distributed by Tyre-Track (See photos).

The Mobiletron offers you the choice of either internal "band style" sensors or external sensors (I chose the external for ease of installation). Also, it is available in either glossy black or silver. I chose black. It is hard wired and includes the harness, handlebar mount and sensors for quick DIY installation. Like Tire SafeGuard, this one also measures and displays both tire pressure and tire temp but does not offer the ability to measure additional tires for a trailer or trike, which I for one do not need.

Everything I've read about the Mobiletron model has been nothing but positive. Unfortunately, it is only sold in the UK so that's where I ordered mine from. Total cost was $167 and included free shipping. I just ordered it and it is expected to take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I really like the looks and the feature set after downloading and reading the manual which, btw, is extremely well written and contains highly detailed photos and diagrams. I will provide an update this summer once I have had the opportunity to test it. It's nice to have options like this for our gold ponies isn't it?
Attachments

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I,1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N

Post by bikommuter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:01 am

I realize that this is an old thread, but my Tire-Safeguard just got installed yesterday. Several questions. Are the tiny Phillips screws on the side of the sensors the way to replacing the batteries? My system does not respond immediately. It takes 3 or 4 seconds of tire spinning and a wait of several seconds before I get a reading on the screen :?: . Is this normal or do I need new batteries already.These things are made in China and there is no way of knowing how long ago the batteries were installed, and every movement triggers a sensor start. :shock: Also, I figured out how to set alarms for both wheels, but I don't know if it was high pressure or low pressure. How do I set both? Temp is easy but I think I set them way too high. What is appropriate? Thanks in advance. ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 am

bikommuter wrote:I realize that this is an old thread, but my Tire-Safeguard just got installed yesterday. Several questions. Are the tiny Phillips screws on the side of the sensors the way to replacing the batteries? My system does not respond immediately. It takes 3 or 4 seconds of tire spinning and a wait of several seconds before I get a reading on the screen :?: . Is this normal or do I need new batteries already.These things are made in China and there is no way of knowing how long ago the batteries were installed, and every movement triggers a sensor start. :shock: Also, I figured out how to set alarms for both wheels, but I don't know if it was high pressure or low pressure. How do I set both? Temp is easy but I think I set them way too high. What is appropriate? Thanks in advance. ;)
On mine, the batteries are accessed by unscrewing the plastic top cap - all the plastic unscrews, exposing the battery underneath. There is a tiny, fragile rubber gasket at the bottom that seals it from the weather.

The tiny screws on the side are to put pressure against the valve stem threads, to prevent the sensors from unscrewing and coming loose.

Mine works the same way - you have to move the sensor and wait several seconds for it to show up. I expect this is how they get the batteries to last so long: they only transmit so often. The batteries in mine lasted about two years. When they got low, they would not transmit reliably to the display; replacing the batteries fixed it instantly.

If I recall correctly, you can set different low pressure values for each wheel, but the high pressure value applies to all wheels. Same goes for temperature - it's for all wheels.

I would run yours on a hot day, see what temps you get, then set your alarm a bit above that. My rear wheel gets much hotter than my front - the front is out in the wind, while the rear is tucked away with exhausts on either side of it.

bikommuter

Post by bikommuter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm still working on setting the high pressure alarm. I guess I'll have to wait for a hot summer day to set the temp alarm. Today the front got all the way up to 77 :roll: and the rear made it all the way up to 87. :? Got a long way to go before they get really hot.

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Post by triwing » Sat May 02, 2015 9:04 pm

If you have more than one bike, can you move unit from bike to bike if the tire valve sensors are installed on all bikes? Or is the unit too complex to do so, just wondered as I can only ride one at a time, & am the only rider.

bikommuter

Post by bikommuter » Sat May 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi Triwing.
No reason why you can't move the system from bike to bike. The only hassle is when you take the sensors off Bike A, you lose a little air pressure and then you lose a little from Bike B when you screw them on. The pressure and temp warnings will remain the same no matter what you put the sensors on, unless you reprogram the monitor. The collars that lock the sensors on also dig a little mark into the valve stem every time you tighten them. If you go with the hardwired power supply, you wouldn't want to wire it into one bike and then cut wires to hardwire it into another bike. You'd have to come up with a quick disconnect so you could move the power supply, or just use the monitor with the internal battery. It goes quite far on a charge and it recharges quickly. I didn't check out the price on replacement sensors, but there's an option. Mount sensors on each bike and then retrain the monitor to read the sensors for the bike you're riding. I personally installed my system on my CM400T to try it out and check out my options. I decided to buy a second unit for my GL1100 so I wouldn't have to hassle with switching sensors back and forth. I also figured out how to set all the warnings. Just had to be patient and read the directions carefully (over and over and over :?)

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Post by triwing » Sun May 03, 2015 9:26 am

That's what the thought was, a way to EASILY move the unit from bike to bike, unplug the unit with screen from A & move to B. Was wondering how much hardware, etc; was required for 4 bikes, & total cost to be able to just move unit & go. :?: Very convenient not having to crawl around to check pressure before you go. Could your shock, & fork pressure be monitored as well? If so you need 4 sensors per bike, x 4=16 sensors, + cost of unit & brackets or another way to mount unit on each bike. Sounds like one of those if I EVER have the EXTRA CASH ill buy that, sort of thing. Believe they will be behind the air & electric powered tire machine, meanwhile ill use my manual tire changer, & crawl around on a creeper to check tire, & shock pressures, & just think how fortunate to have so many toys to play with. :D

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:08 pm

How do you guys still like your tpms systems. I'm looking at one from cyclemax which is on sale thru the 30th of November. It is all battery operated but it says battery life is very good.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129153
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Cyclemax also offers a t-vavle stem that fits the rear of the 1500 and front and rear of the 1800. I was thinking of using that for the rear tire and possibly a 45 degree angle for the front. I have the 90 degree low profile vavle stems now.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

bikommuter

Post by bikommuter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:09 pm

I really like my Tire Safeguard system. I constantly monitor pressure and temp. I seriously miss them when I'm on a bike that doesn't have them. Be careful of alternate valve stems. Anything other than straight will have to endure extreme twisting and bending forces as the wheel spins. Make sure to use only metal fittings if you use anything but a straight stem.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 pm

The Tire Safe Gard TPMS on my GL1800 has been doing great. No issues.

My eight year old Tire Gard from Show Chrome on my GL1500 recently had an issue. One of the tire sensors died. A new sensor from Show Chrome is $89, more than half the price of a complete system.

For $99 or less, a FOBO Bike TPMS using an APP for a smart phone started to look promising to me. It has audible and visual alerts.
Since I plug my phone into a Kennedy Cell Set on the bike and can hear the alerts as well as normal phone conversations, I'm giving the FOBO Bike system a try.

All the reviews I have seen on the system are positive and the price it right. About $87 on Amazon.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

John Verburg
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1976 GL1000

Post by John Verburg » Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for the great article. I have decided to go for it my self. :)
John

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm

That is quite terrible battery life. One would think the life would be similar to that of OEM TPMS units. Anyone know of any other systems with better battery life?

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 pm

What did I miss? What terrible battery life are you speaking of? None of the units talked about said anything about terrible battery life that I can see. But maybe I missed something.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bikommuter

Post by bikommuter » Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Terrible battery life? :?: My Tire Safeguard is in it's 3rd year and 3rd different bike and I was just thinking today that I hadn't changed any of the batteries yet. :D

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:14 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I

Cons:
  • The maximum pressure for the alert is too low for Goldwings with Avon tires. I run the rear at 51psi cold when loaded, and this goes up quite a bit when the tire gets hot - beyond what you can set for the over pressure warning. I've communicated this to the manufacturer, they said they're going to look into changing it.
  • The beeper alarm is incessant (see overpressure warning, above). I solved this by disassembling it and ripping the beeper off the circuit board.
  • The sensor batteries don't last anywhere near what I would like. I get around 3 months or 2,000 miles out of them. There's no warning of a low battery, it just stops working for that tire. Batteries can be had for cheap online, however.
Overall I still think it's one of the best motorcycle systems available today, and the price has come down since my original review - it's now $169 instead of $189 on Amazon: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) by Tire-Safeguard
Guess I should have linked it.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 pm

I see now.

My batteries lasted 14 months and 20,000 miles on my TireSafeGard system before I replaced them. They didn't need to be replaced, it was a preventive measure before a trip.

I like the FOBO system, it shows battery strength on my phone screen. The batteries have been in the sensors since December, a little over 1200 miles, and are still showing full strength.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

John Verburg
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1976 GL1000

Post by John Verburg » Wed May 17, 2017 2:55 pm

John Verburg wrote:Thanks for the great article. I have decided to go for it my self. :)
John
Well I have the fobo system installed finally. It was quite fussy to say the least about reading the units on my phone. So there are some real concerns about this system as well. It only uses your phone. It does not come with a monitor screen of its own similar to the other products reviewed. No wonder it is cheaper. The phone must have blue tooth 4 or above and Android 4.3 or above or ios 7.1 for apple folks. So unless you have a fairly new smart phone you have to go buy a new phone as well, making it the most expensive option by far. I can't tell you how long the sensors work on the batteries, but it does drain your phone. So you better plug the phone in to a USB power source while riding. Something I did not have, so had to install one. Another $22 for parts. The screen is only as bright as your phone. Mine is dismal in the sun and can't read the pressures until I hit a shady spot. The installation is fussy as noted and you need to have an internet connection to boot. While it may be an anti theft idea, it is a pain. I could not get one to real after several attempts. You have to unscrew it wait 10 seconds and screw it back on between tries losing a little air each time. Finally I got both working, but my front tire now had to little air. Took if off filled up the tire and when I screwed it back on it would not read it. Said it was registered. So had to log on and unregister the darn thing, so I could let it know it was OK to work. Hope this does not happen every time the tire needs air.
Will provide an update in a month or two and let you know what I think of it. Now I would say buy with caution, and only then if you have the correct type of phone with the correct software both operating system and blue tooth version.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed May 17, 2017 4:47 pm

John Verburg wrote:
John Verburg wrote:Thanks for the great article. I have decided to go for it my self. :)
John
Well I have the fobo system installed finally. It was quite fussy to say the least about reading the units on my phone. So there are some real concerns about this system as well. It only uses your phone. It does not come with a monitor screen of its own similar to the other products reviewed. No wonder it is cheaper. The phone must have blue tooth 4 or above and Android 4.3 or above or ios 7.1 for apple folks. So unless you have a fairly new smart phone you have to go buy a new phone as well, making it the most expensive option by far. I can't tell you how long the sensors work on the batteries, but it does drain your phone. So you better plug the phone in to a USB power source while riding. Something I did not have, so had to install one. Another $22 for parts. The screen is only as bright as your phone. Mine is dismal in the sun and can't read the pressures until I hit a shady spot. The installation is fussy as noted and you need to have an internet connection to boot. While it may be an anti theft idea, it is a pain. I could not get one to real after several attempts. You have to unscrew it wait 10 seconds and screw it back on between tries losing a little air each time. Finally I got both working, but my front tire now had to little air. Took if off filled up the tire and when I screwed it back on it would not read it. Said it was registered. So had to log on and unregister the darn thing, so I could let it know it was OK to work. Hope this does not happen every time the tire needs air.
Will provide an update in a month or two and let you know what I think of it. Now I would say buy with caution, and only then if you have the correct type of phone with the correct software both operating system and blue tooth version.
Yes, that is correct, it does not have a monitor like the other systems but that is actually a plus. That is why it is less expensive.

Yes, you need to have an internet connection to download the App. That is what the Smart Phone does for you. If your smart phone is more than five years old, you may have issues but any smart phone that old is probably real slow at accessing just about anything. I upgraded from a five year old Droid MAXX to a three year old Droid Turbo a year ago because it was faster than the MAXX. The Turbo is a $600 phone but I got it online for $149. But either phone would have worked just fine. They both use the Android 4.4.4 software.

I have not had any issues when removing the sensors to add air to the tires. They stay paired to the phone whether they are on the tire valve stem or not.

Actually, the FOBO system does not drain your phone anymore than a BlueTooth headset. What drains your phone is leaving the screen on. If you wanted to visually monitor the tire pressures while you ride, you need to have a different system than the FOBO. After having the Tire Guard and the TireSafeGard for a few months I almost never looked at them unless I was getting ready to ride or stopped for gas. Now I just take my phone out of the pocket and look at it and check the tire pressures before riding and when stopped. If you do not have an audio hook up for your phone, put the phone in you shirt pocket. If you have an issue with tire pressure, you will hear the alert while riding unless you are REALLY hard of hearing.

Battery life? I've had mine in use for six months. Only 2000 miles worth but the battery condition is still good. Battery condition is shown on the screen of the Smart Phone. That option is not available with the other TPMS units I have seen. Another Plus for the FOBO.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

jonjohn
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (Sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate

Post by jonjohn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Has anyone found a system that uses automotive style sensors? They are part of the valve stems and the sensor itself is in inside the rim. As anyone driving a car made in the last 12 to 15 years knows, this allows you to simply add air to the tires in the normal way, through the Schrader valve without having to remove the sensor. The technology is well proven and the battery life is stated to be about 10 years. I replaced the sensors on my 05' truck last year.
Ride like you mean it!

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:07 pm

jonjohn wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:14 pm
Has anyone found a system that uses automotive style sensors? They are part of the valve stems and the sensor itself is in inside the rim. As anyone driving a car made in the last 12 to 15 years knows, this allows you to simply add air to the tires in the normal way, through the Schrader valve without having to remove the sensor. The technology is well proven and the battery life is stated to be about 10 years. I replaced the sensors on my 05' truck last year.
If there is a system that would work with the OEM sensors, it would most likely still give the same indications as what is already present? In other words, a light comes on when one of the tires is low but doesn't give an indication of which tire.

I prefer to know which tire is the offending member.

As to adding air without removing the sensor, on the rear of the GL1500 and both the front and rear of the GL1800, a "T" valve stem can be installed in place of the current 90 degree valve stem. That allows adding air without removing the sensor. The "T" stems sell for about $10 each.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA