Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Spidi Jab-R leather/textile summer gloves

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

I know it's almost Labor Day, which is traditionally the end of summer, so it's not ideal to be posting a review of a summer glove. However, I have found many times that I will buy a set of gloves, love them, and then after a few months, end up hating them. So I wanted to be sure that I had enough experience with these gloves before I posted what I thought about them. With that, here are my thoughts on the Spidi Jab-R Leather/Textile summer gloves.

Spidi Jab-R Gloves
Spidi Jab-R Gloves

Typically, I will wear out a set of summer gloves in a year or two. This is one glove that I suspect I will have for years to come - they're extremely well-made, unlike a lot of gloves I have bought in the past. Being Italian-made, you would expect them to be expensive, but they're not! I picked these up for just over $60 in the spring, and because it's now almost fall, the online retailers are blowing them out for around $50 or so. This is a steal! Why?

Because this is a fantastic glove! It fits, well, like a glove. Snug, but not too tight, and without seams in the ends of the fingers to jam up against your fingers. The palms are covered in large pieces of real leather - good for sliding on the ground, but also good because without seams in the palms, you don't develop calluses. The top is made of mesh, with hard plastic vents over the knuckles and forefinger first joint, which double as crash protection. There is also a hard protector over the ulna (wrist) bone. Those are all great features, but they're not why I love these gloves.

What's great about these gloves is that they are (at least for me) supremely comfortable, fit perfectly, and flow a lot of air. They keep my hands cool, but provide enough solid abrasion protection that I am happy wearing them all of the time. The cuff is a bit longer than my old summer gloves, which I also like. I don't develop calluses wearing them, which has happened with every other summer glove I've owned. The fingertips are well-made, and allow me to easily press the various buttons and GPS touch-screen on my bike.

The only thing I don't like about them is the rather small piece of velcro used for the closure. I wish it was a bit larger, so I could adjust it more or less snug at the cuff.

To my surprise, Motorcycle Consumer News featured these gloves in a review this past month, and they came out on top. So I obviously made a good choice.

My verdict: recommended.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Spidi Jab-R summer gloves

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am

Just an update for this glove review: After wearing them extensively for two years and many thousands of miles, my previous prediction of these gloves not wearing out within a year or two is, unfortunately not coming true. While the main parts of the gloves - top, fastener, palm, all the parts that usually wear out are still in good shape, the ends of the fingers are now starting to get a bit worn and thin. I will probably get most of another season out of them.

That said...they are still extremely comfortable, and work very well. I'm very happy with them, and considering the price, they are definitely a great deal. I'd definitely buy them again.

Return to “Product Reviews”