LD Comfort Undergarment

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

LD Comfort Undergarment

Postby gof » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:14 am

Magic underwear? Yep, they are magic.

I was skeptical, but after a recent trip of about 4 hours each way in jeans a normal underwear, I knew I needed a better option.

They came in the night before I was scheduled for a bike trade in 3+ hours away. I rode a solo seat Yamaha Warrior 3+ hours and had ill effects. Ill effects from the Warrior, NOT the undergarment.

After about an hour I hopped on the "new to me" 2004 GL1800 with a Road Sofa seat and rode back in the rain 3+ hours, with only a 5 minute break.

While I was tired from the whole event, I had no discomfort from my wet jeans. Bottom line, I think they are one of those "no brainer" items for anyone riding longer than 2 hours.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: LD Comfort Undergarment

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 am

Have to agree. I wear the tights and the long sleeve shirt all the time. Finally got a handle on how to use them in hot weather and last time out felt a lot more comfortable in the heat. They come at a price but can you put a price on comfort?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 am

I had to look these up, and found this video:

I think I might have to invest in these....

gof

Postby gof » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:00 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I had to look these up, and found this video:

I think I might have to invest in these....

I just took about an hour test ride on the 2004 after a short breakfast run on the 1984. This time without the LD Comforts. It's really just taking one step more towards being comfortable and having it be the weight bearing point of body contact with the bike makes a lot of sense. You basically feel no binding against your clothes and seat. I feel like I always need to stand up and sit down and re -adjust without them.

I can now also say the Saddleman Road Sofa is a vast improvement over the 1984 vinyl. I do have to say though. First impression, that 1984 really rides nice and feels a touch roomier than the 2004. After about an hour on the 2004 though, it left it's positive impression. I'll make a thread for that thought.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:23 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I think I might have to invest in these....

You won't regret it. Lot's of Iron Butt Riders use this stuff. In the heat it works better than a cooling vest.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

gof

Postby gof » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 pm

cbx4evr wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I think I might have to invest in these....

You won't regret it. Lot's of Iron Butt Riders use this stuff. In the heat it works better than a cooling vest.

Good point they make shirts too.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm

They make a head cover too. I really like mine. Keeps the helmet fresh and when you wet it down keeps your brain cool.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I read about these and they kinda made sense, so I watched his video. Then I went and got some of my polypropylene undies that I use for cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter, and wore them on a 400 mile trip. They were quite a bit better than normal gauchies. Sooo, I ordered a couple of pair, and I will leave on Thursday for a circumnavigation of Lake Superior. We shall test them. I will also use the polypropylene long sleve shirts that I have for skiing, with a couple heavier (underarmour) heat shirts, so I have two changes. I shall test them for hand washing after each day, having another pair dry for the next day. I will report back. Underarmour also makes cool shirts to keep the heat in in colder weather. I am absolutely impressed with the Underarmour (from a soldiers full gear point of view) so I think the LD Comfort is gonna do the trick too. Technologicy sorta stuff is the cats butt, huh?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:34 pm

themainviking wrote:I will report back.

I left a day early, so I am back a day early. Well, they work well. I did not get any cooked butt feelings on this trip. On the outbound leg, I wore the LD Comfort undershorts, and although it was a kinda weird feeling, like what I would think spandex cycling shorts would be, they wicked all the moisture away and were quite comfortable. I began the outbound leg with just the bke seat and the underwear, and rode fuel fill to fuel fill without any other breaks, and I did 500 kilometers a day (just over 300 miles) which I know is not a lot, but this was also a test, right? I did this for three days, washing and drying the pair I was wearing, to wear them again the next day. Then I spent a day with people at a campground. I then put on the nice fresh ones, and put the gell like cushion on the bike and rode the rest of the way back in one day - 1000 kilometers - 600 miles plus. In the entire quick trip, I never had any of the discomfort that I have known in the past. No excess warmth, no sweating, no other pains or problems. I do not think that it was totally the result of the LD Comfort wear, but they were a definite addition to comfort. At $45 a pair, I think they were well worth buying, and I intend to get a lot more use out of them in the future. I wore Underarmour Heat Wear under my shirt, on my upper torso which wicked the heat and moisture away from me there. I was wearing a Black Leather Jacket, so would have been warm, otherwise. On the homebound leg, I did not wear the Underarmour, as the temperatures were a bit cooler. The Underarmour is advertised as helping the muscles to function (fits really snug) and I believe it may have grounds for this claim (slight grounds) as my upper body muscles seemed less tired each day of my outbound leg, than they were the first half of my homebound leg.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Product Reviews”