Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

CRC Penetrating Oil

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 am

There is one thing we motorcyclists all have in common regardless of what we ride. The need for occasionally using a reliable penetrating oil.

As for myself, I have always swore by two brands, PB Blaster or Kroil. PB is now available everywhere. The big problem with Kroil is that you are forced to buy it manufacturer direct from Kano Laboratories and when you need to use some, you usually need it now.

Now, I found a third alternative, one that works in a way not marketed before that I know of. The product is Freeze Off by CRC. CRC generally makes good aerosol products. I've had experience with their electronic cleaner before and use it regularly. This product is different because it chills the metal object you are trying to loosen along with the penetrating qualities of the oil. We all have been preached to that you need heat to loosen stubborn or rusted nuts & bolts, not using cold. This product uses contraction of the metal molecules rather than expansion to do it's magic.

The first time I decided to try this was to attempt to loosen my frozen rear brake pedal on the '77 Wing after I bought it. It did a superb job in just a few short minutes. The next was to loosen the always stubborn Phillips screw that holds the speedometer cable in place at the front fork. When an impact driver wasn't working, I broke out the Freeze Off. In just a couple minutes of letting it do it's job, off came the screw intact including the head.

Freeze Off doesn't seem to make the same mess that PB always does. It is clear and looks lighter in consistency than PB. It's lubricating properties seem to be good as the brake pedal is still working like it should be.

Bottom line here is this looks to be a viable alternative to use and works. It is available at numerous auto parts retailers and elsewhere.
Attachments

Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: CRC Penetrating Oil

Postby Mag » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:47 pm

NICE! Since Wallyworld sells CRC (I bought the electrical cleaner, and cable greaser from them), I will add this to my list ;)

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Sir if you say this works I believe you're words.. the very next time I go to Walmart I will look for it, it makes perfect sense to chill the bolt or stubborn nut as it's more than likey going to break free easier...thank you ....Freeze Off huh.. :D

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:20 am

Yes, sir. It does work. I've heard good things about this product from others, also.

Now mind you, it isn't a miracle product. Just a good quality penetrating oil. It didn't work for me yesterday when I blew a wheel cylinder on my Jeep and the brake line was galded at the fitting and the line broke at the fitting when I was replacing it. Nothing would likely have worked here. But for many circumstances, it will work just fine.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

But will it "boil water" and "make toast"?

Doing a Wally Run tomorrow, so will see if I can find it.

Return to “Product Reviews”