Service Manual

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
silverbullet07
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Service Manual

Postby silverbullet07 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 am

I was so excited to get my service manual from Helm Inc.. My bike is in pieces in the garage with the dreaded grip and seat heater problem. I've been waiting for a week to go through every detail of every part involved. I tear open the case, push in the DVD and my MacBook Pro just spits it back at me :(. I try again, and again to no avail. The DVD only runs on Microsoft Windows. I couldn't believe it! I never thought to look. The description only said DVD and never asked if I had windows or a mac.
The fine folks at Helm Inc. were sorry that they don't have anything that runs on the Apple Mac and were happy to credit my account upon return of the disc. Just to let anybody else know who might be considering the purchase. I'm going with the hard copy next from Wingstuff.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Service Manual

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 am

Two words...."Oh No", what a bummer. Hate to hear. Nothing like delays when you get enough guts to want to move fwd on working on your bike.

I won't say anything about Apple vs the world, that is for another thread and a lot of time ;)

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Really sorry to hear, that bites. Thanks for the info it's good to know. good luck with your rebuild.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Silverbullet, I have an 01-05 Service manual in .pdf format and a 05-08 parts manual in .pdf format if you would like a copy. Macs can read .pdf files, right? Let me know if you would like them. The service manual is 68 megs and the parts manual is 17 megs. I can put them on one of my web sites and provide a link.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

CDub73
Motorcycle: Current
1983 GL1100A
1999 SV650S

Previous
1982 GL1100I

Postby CDub73 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 am

I suppose there is always the option of partitioning your hard drive and creating a windows drive. Depending on how old your MacBook is it should support windows.

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the offer themainviking !! Another member offered to help with the manual and parts list as well. I wish I had known a little earlier though, my hardcover manual arrived Saturday afternoon. It was a bit more expensive, but has it's advantages. At least I'm not getting grease all over my keyboard. After thinking about it, it would be nice to have the parts catalog on my computer. If you could help me with that I would really appreciate it.
My repair went very well. I jumped the left grip connections and as jinx said,"the right grip fired right up". I'm sure the seats will have no problem. While I was in there and had everything removed, I went all the way down and cleaned the air filter with just some compressed air. It was only 3k miles old, but what the heck. I also repaired the emergency flasher switch. I had to completely disassemble the switch and clean it out so it wouldn't stick anymore. I did the same with the cruise control although it was a lot easier. I fixed the left vent loovres which I messed up the last time I installed the shelter and now I'm all put back together and ready for $5.00 gal gasoline here in California.
My father would argue with you about your username. He walked around with the horned helmet and everything. He would say," You can always tell a Norwegian, but you can't tell him much". When things were tough he'd say," And on the eight day God created a Viking". :lol: Miss my Dad !!

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks CDUB73 ! I thought of that as well and looked into it before I returned the disc. To do it right, I would have to purchase at the minimum Windows 7. Even though it's the older version the price is $85. That would be on top of the $70 already spent on the disc. I stopped thinking about it at about that time.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm

silverbullet07 wrote:My father would argue with you about your username. He walked around with the horned helmet and everything. He would say," You can always tell a Norwegian, but you can't tell him much". When things were tough he'd say," And on the eight day God created a Viking". :lol: Miss my Dad !!

He could argue all he wanted, as I would have also. I did not want that username, but Viking was already taken here by someone who has not been to this site in the time I have been on here, so "themainviking" was a second choice, but as they say - he who takes first - gets. I have never walked around with a horned helmet, as Vikings did not have horns on their helmets. That was a modern adaptation taken from the German Opera, believe it or not, and a woman was the fat lady who sang. I do have a horned helmet that someone gave me as a gift, so it sits here on a shelf. I will PM you the link to download the parts manual.

ImageImage

silverbullet07

Re: Parts Manual

Postby silverbullet07 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks for the info Viking. I downloaded the parts manual and am realizing how helpful its going to be. I can go thru and pre-order all the things I will need for any given project. Possibly forsee any problems as well.Thanks again!

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 am

You are totally welcome sir.

ImageImage

hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Postby hotwire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Upon reading this topic heading, i was interested to see the opening post was about a dvd, which I read and can understand your frustrations. If I may, let me share mine also, except about a different product.
When I first bought my vintage Aspencade, I of course , desired to own a service manual, as well. Knowing absolutely no better, I ordered one from our local Honda dealer, even to my surprise it is still available! But buyer beware!! For the extremely low price,
(sarcasm) of $42.00, (at the time I was happy to pay), I received an made to order, photocopied version of the manual of which the pictures are so dark, it's really difficult to discern even where on the bike some parts are. Sadly, by the time I really let this sink in, I had gotten the book somewhat dirty, (imagine that! in My garage), but just FYI for anybody looking to Honda for a possible source for a manual. Of course, now I know Haynes and Clymer are also venues for these books. Live and learn, my friends, live and learn.
'Nuff said, Hotwire.

Return to “Product Reviews”