Garmin 2455lm

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
rwj1500se
Motorcycle: 1997 1500 se goldwing

Garmin 2455lm

Postby rwj1500se » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

I have been using this unit for over a year now, it is the least expensive of the Garmin units that interfaces with Garmin Basecamp (free download) which allows you to pre program your GPS routes.I thought i would pass on this info having tested thoroughly.I did find i had to spend a little time with Basecamp to get a good understanding of the software. The trick is not to put the waypoints right at the intersections of your turns put them a little before or after the turn. This gives the GPS time to push to the next leg of your trip. Compared to the price of a zumo this is a great option.

The Hawk
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Garmin 2455lm

Postby The Hawk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am

Question, how is the screen in sunlight on this unit? I have been using the 765T which also has route planning but the screen brightness is a real challenge and draw back. Thanks

rwj1500se

Postby rwj1500se » Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 pm

The screen resolution seems to be the same on the two models 480-272 . I find the screen well lit in direct sunlight and easy to view. I have the screen at full brightness and i also have the unit wired in to the bikes electrical sytem which gives it another level of brightness compared to running it on its internal battery.

BJB
Motorcycle: GL1800

Postby BJB » Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 pm

The Hawk wrote:Question, how is the screen in sunlight on this unit? I have been using the 765T which also has route planning but the screen brightness is a real challenge and draw back. Thanks

I share your pain and opinion! I also have the 765T and have gone through two of them....the first one had issues and was swapped out.
Both share the dim screen that indeed makes it a challenge in the sun even with a shade.

Thanks for the feedback rwj, sounds like the 2455lm is better. Would be interested if anyone has upgraded from the 765T to a similarly-sized and priced unit (with audio out of course) and can verify it is much brighter. I also have it hard wired for power but that does not seem to help enough.

Would the power connections to the 765T work on another garmin unit or are they unique to each model? Already thinking of the wiring! :)

Thanks,
BJB

The Hawk
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby The Hawk » Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 am

So the question is then does the 2455lm have audio output? rwj1500se, maybe you can enlighten us.
In my research a year ago there were no more automobile units that were being made by Garmin with an audio output jack. (only Zumo) If that is the case it would not be able to be inputted into our audio system/headsets. What is your solution rwj1500se? ;)

rwj1500se

Postby rwj1500se » Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Your research was spot on. Solution $700 zumo.

BJB

Postby BJB » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Bummer...without the audio out that's a non-starter for me. I find that very helpful in not having to view the screen as much. Have it going into the intercom system...
BJB

Wup
Motorcycle: GoldWing GL1500 Aspencade, 1988

Postby Wup » Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm

One solution is the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sm10.php?tab_menu=overview

It lookt to me as a nice solution, other than the Zumo.
Is it also waterresistance?

Grtz Wup

BJB

Postby BJB » Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Wup wrote:One solution is the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sm10.php?tab_menu=overview

It lookt to me as a nice solution, other than the Zumo.
Is it also waterresistance?

Grtz Wup

Hmmm, that looks like a nice bluetooth solution but unless I am missing something, it would still require an analog audio-out of your GPS to drive it?
BJB

Seoladh
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE
1998 Honda ACE 1100
1995 Magna 750 CD

Postby Seoladh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I have used Garmin technology in other areas and found it reliable, although never on my bike. Maybe Im just an old paper map person. Recently a friend has told me about a Tom Tom and he loves it. Anyone tried one?
Ride safe & forever,
Seo

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 am

Has anyone used the Rand McNally GPS? Just from looking at the specs and the map service it seems to do the job, but couldnt find how it handles the audio. They make one for trucks and RVs, but no mention of motorcycles (yet?). Unfortunately, for us foreignors, they only provide maps for North America, and dont worry about the other parts of the world.

I have used the Road Atlas paper version of the RM maps, (have you ever tried to navigate through Chicago with a one page map? - scarey), and they give good direction, but a GPS should improve on their paper.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:42 am

I've been using TomTom units in my cars and on my bikes for many years. I have a unit that I've loaded maps for all of North America as well as all of UK (England/Scotland/Ireland/Wales), so I can take it with me and use it when I'm over visiting every year. They've never failed me, and are quite easy to use.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 pm

In 2008, Jan (spouse) and I went for a round-the-world trip, and took my Garmin StreetPilot with me. We rented cars in USA, Ireland, UK, and Europe, and purchased a map for USA which went from Pacific to Atlantic, and from Bellingham WA to Texas and many places in between. I also purchased a Europe map and that did us for the UK and Europe. One strange thing though, was that after flying from London to Frankfurt, Germany, it took at least 30 minutes to find a signal that it could work with. We finished up pulling up on the side of the road, and waiting for the StreetPilot to catch up.

There were moments of trepidation in the USA and Europe, (eg going through Seattle under all of those flyovers) where no signal would penetrate the concrete and in peak hour traffic it is a tad daunting to not know your next turn! In Europe, especially in Prague, beautiful place, but they need more vowels in their words :D , and driving through the centre the buildings must have blocked the signal so well, that we drove blind for about five minutes.

On the plus side, and this is a big plus, when we were diverted in France on a road detour, we noticed that the French authorities are good at putting up "Road Closed - Detour" signs, but then run out of further signs to direct you where to go. I put my trust in Betty (aka Betty Blabbermouth - the English voice that was selected), and she took us along roads that would have challenged my military cross-country vehicles, and brought us out onto the highway (like an interstate). We were the only ones on this road! After travelling for about 15Kms (about 10 miles), the other traffic that had been diverted caught up to this road, and things were back to normal.

For coverage, Garmin is good. However, the downside is that they do not provide maps for the StreetPilot anymore! But there are other sites that provide maps for Garmin devices, that you can download, but I havent done it yet.

The question then becomes, how long do they support their devices? After paying through the nose for a unit, and only getting about four years usage out of it, to say the least, I was not a happy camper. It worked out to about $200/year, so it was not cheap.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm

redial wrote:In 2008, Jan (spouse) and I went for a round-the-world trip, and took my Garmin StreetPilot with me. We rented cars in USA, Ireland, UK, and Europe, and purchased a map for USA which went from Pacific to Atlantic, and from Bellingham WA to Texas and many places in between. I also purchased a Europe map and that did us for the UK and Europe. One strange thing though, was that after flying from London to Frankfurt, Germany, it took at least 30 minutes to find a signal that it could work with. We finished up pulling up on the side of the road, and waiting for the StreetPilot to catch up.

That's actually normal. Every GPS unit has what's called an "almanac" - a schedule of where each satellite will be over the earth, at any given time. Using this data it then calculates its position on the globe. You turn it on, it says, "last time I was turned off, I was in Detroit, so I'm probably still near Detroit. I'll start looking for the satellites that should be over Detroit right this moment."

That's all well and good if you are still in Detroit. But if you have taken the GPS with you thousands of miles away, and then turn it on, it starts looking for satellites from Detroit - and instead, sees satellites from someplace completely unexpected. It has no idea where it is. So it has to wait until several satellites either come into view, drop from view, or move relative to one another in such a way that it can figure out a general fix on where in the world it is, based on its almanac data. As you have experienced, this can take up to half an hour sometimes. Once it's done this, it's back to normal operation.

Return to “Product Reviews”