Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Panel Keeper's

Postby bjatwood » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

OK guys here's a shot of what my front fender "cover" looked like after returning home from a trip on the Wing yestersday. These Rudy keeper kits are the best 50 Bucks a Wing owner can spend to keep their GoldWing panels from turning into road fodder. I'm a fan and a believer!
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Panel Keeper's

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm

bjatwood wrote:OK guys here's a shot of what my front fender "cover" looked like after returning home from a trip on the Wing yestersday. These Rudy keeper kits are the best 50 Bucks a Wing owner can spend to keep their GoldWing panels from turning into road fodder. I'm a fan and a believer!

Yup, I've been a fan of (and have used) all of Rudy's products on both of my Wings for some time now.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 am

Yes, Rudy's Panel Keeper Kits are very worthwhile and have been in use on my bike for a number of years now
I can also highly recommend his Trunk Lid Reinforcement Kit to help reinforce your 1500's trunk lid if you have a trunk rack and use it.
It's just a matter of time before your trunk lid develops cracks in the lid around the base of the lid due to either overloading, or through plastic fatigue due to flexing.
I thought the system I used for mounting my rack was foolproof, but after 4 years of use, my lid cracked due to repeated flexing around the base of the large diameter riser base. :evil:
I had arranged to meet/stay with Rudy for a week or so in the fall of 2011, when I was on a 3 month long tour and in between the time I set out on this trip and the time I arrived at his doorstep, my lid had developed a crack. I tried jury rigging a field repair using some ABS and ABS cement, but the crack continued to increase in size. When I got to Rudy's and he saw my cracked lid, he decided that that was the time to start manufacturing a new product to reinforce the lid that he had been thinking about for some time, so my trunk lid ended up being the recipient of his prototype Trunk Lid Reinforcement Panel Kit.
I wish he had been making/selling them before my lid cracked, but nonetheless, I am glad he overcame Inertia and started producing this extremely beneficial product.
I have ridden over 70,000 km/44,000 mi since he installed his kit on my trunk lid, over every imaginable road surface, much of it with as good load on my rack and am happy to report that there has been no further increase in the crack, as the lid reinforcement kit adds much needed strength/rigidity to the underside of the trunk.

Before the crack

After the crack :o :? :cry:

Rudy's Trunk Lid Reinforcement Panel Kit installed

No further cracking, even with loads like this

So, if you have a trunk rack and use it, (even if it's just occasionally) I highly suggest you save yourself the Heartache and purchase/install one of his kits before your lid develops cracks!

Dusty

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 am

Good idea Dusty! Think I'll get that trunck renforcement kit... ;)

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

Ta, I have a number of Rudy's products, Side panel keeper, trunk reinforcement and the Smart Light. Love them all. Should have bought the multi panel keeper kit to cover everything.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 am

I bought the 2nd base kit for the cubby covers too. They work....as the wife tried to open one when we were traveling down the road and it fell out of her hand. Dangling by the cord....SAFE!!

Return to “Product Reviews”