Avon Cobra Review

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Avon Cobra Review

Postby themainviking » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm

In April 2012, I installed a set of Avon Cobra tires on my 2009 GL1800. These were AV71 front and AV72 rear tires, and their manufacturers date code was 0212 front and 0612 rear. I installed them with Dyna beads, and no other source of balancing. From the very start I loved the way these tires stuck to the road and how smooth the ride was. So, ride on them till they wear out, right? NOT !

I got 13,000 kilometers (just over 8,000 miles), tread life was still better than half, and the rear tire suffered a belt separation. Within about ten miles of noticing a vibration, the tire was done. I had just started out on a trip and made it 40 miles from home. I contacted Avon, who told me to contact my tire dealer to set the warranty adjustment into action. After a week of back and forth - me to my dealer, and my dealer to Avon, the warranty adjustment request was turned down without reason given. At this time, I have escalated the request for adjustment within Avon's offices to a higher level. I may, or may not have any good fortune. I wanted to place this review in the public eye, so that anyone else with the same sort of problem cannot be told by Avon that they have never heard of such a situation. I have gotten 25,000 kilometers (over 15,000 miles) of the original OEM Dunlop D250 tires with this motorcycle, so an excellent brand tire such as an Avon Cobra should have matched that easily. The tires did not see any excessively hard riding, nor did they see radical heat, as they never left Ontario Canada and North to Central Michigan within their lifetime as opposed to the D250s which saw Tennessee and North Carolina summertime heat. Nor did they tow a trailer, as I have been unable within the last year to travel very much. So, pretty much one up riding, rear tire pressure at 41 PSI and front at 36 PSI exactly as Mother Honda recommends. End of my tale, except to say I ordered a set of Dunlop D250 tires and installed them in place of the Avon Cobra tires. I will append this if and when I hear from Avon - favourably or unfavourably. Oh, by the way - anyone needing a half good Avon Cobra AV71 front tire, I have one you can have.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Re: Avon Cobra Review

Postby rockford75 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Thats a shame! I was thinking of putting a set of those on my 82 Goldwing. Hope things workout for you with Avon.
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 pm

rockford75 wrote:Thats a shame! I was thinking of putting a set of those on my 82 Goldwing. Hope things workout for you with Avon.

Check out the Avon Venoms. They are a better tire for your purpose. You need a bias ply, and my problem Cobra was a radial.

Also, after a lot of back and forth, Avon rebated the tire 100% - I think just to get me to stop emailing all their executives that I could find email addresses for, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Postby rockford75 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm

themainviking wrote:
rockford75 wrote:Thats a shame! I was thinking of putting a set of those on my 82 Goldwing. Hope things workout for you with Avon.

Check out the Avon Venoms. They are a better tire for your purpose. You need a bias ply, and my problem Cobra was a radial.

Also, after a lot of back and forth, Avon rebated the tire 100% - I think just to get me to stop emailing all their executives that I could find email addresses for, :lol:

Yes your right I do need a bias ply tire. Thats great things worked out for you. Ill take a look at the Venoms Iam runnin Dunlop 491s rubber is pretty soft tough didnt take long for me to burn through those.

A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

Return to “Product Reviews”