Nolan N43E - My Review

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Nolan N43E - My Review

Postby seabeechief » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:11 pm

OK, I finally pulled the trigger on Nolan N43E with N-Com.

Likes;
(1) it is not as heavy as I thought it would be.
(2) the peripheral vision is very good.
(3) the face shield is clear and the optics suffer no distortion that I can detect so far.
(4) the face shield definitely keeps the rain off my face.
(5) the face shield has several "stops" that keeps the shield in the position you want, especially at stop lights/signs. I have not installed the pinlock thingy yet, so there was some (little) fogging until I raised the shield a notch.
(6) the N-Com system is excellent. The mikes are located near my ears, which is the reason I was looking for a new helmet in the first place. The sound quality is good (at least for me) and I don't have to turn the radio/Ipod up to max to hear it. At least after I raised my windshield.
Dislikes;
(1) the wind noise is awful! And wind noise may not be the correct term. It's not "wind noise" like wind inside the helmet. It is more like wind "turbulence" outside the helmet. It was awful. Then I raised my windshield up as far as it would go, and MOST of the turbulence subsided. The wind noise is still there, but not nearly as much as before. Now I just have learn how to ride with the top of the windshield exactly in the middle of my eyes.
(2) Before the windshield was raised, my darling bride said there was more wind "turbulence" or "buffeting" or something that was not there before the new helmet. I don't understand the dynamics or engineering, but I believe her. She said it was a lot better after I raised the windshield.
(3) It is difficult to get the helmet on if I put my glasses on first. It is impossible to put my glasses on AFTER I put the helmet on. The problem is the curved earpieces that wrap around the ear. No way to get those on after the helmet is on. And getting the helmet off with the glasses on is really exciting. The answer I guess is straight earpieces. I will search for the "AO Original" pilots glasses with straight earpieces. I found a website to get them with my prescription, but I can' find it again right now.

That's my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps y'all in your quest for the right helmet.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Nolan N43E - My Review

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Yep, straight arms are the way to go. The only glasses I wear with my helmet are sunglasses, but I found some with straight arms that I can slip right in there. I also get as slim arms as I can find, because after a few hours, the pressure on my ears and the side of my head is painfully unbearable.

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Nolan N43E - My Review

Postby seabeechief » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Yep, straight arms are the way to go. The only glasses I wear with my helmet are sunglasses, but I found some with straight arms that I can slip right in there. I also get as slim arms as I can find, because after a few hours, the pressure on my ears and the side of my head is painfully unbearable.

I understand completely. I had a pair with thick arms and they didn't last long. I did order a pair of bi-focals with AO Pilot frames. I should get them late this week or early next week. I have never purchased prescription glasses online before. Another adventure! I'll let y'all know what I think.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Return to “Product Reviews”