Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Dynaplug Tire Repair Tool

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 pm

While at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this year, I saw a product that I thought was impressive enough that I bought one. It is the Dynaplug Tire Repair Tool.

Dynaplug package
Dynaplug package

I carry a regular automotive tire repair tool, along with automotive tire plugs, in my toolkit, just in case I ever did pick up something in one of my tires that caused a flat tire. However, that tool is meant for car tires, with large plugs intended to plug deep-treaded car tires. I hoped that the tool would work on my motorcycle in an emergency should I need it - but I have never had the opportunity to test it and find out.

The Dynaplug tool consists of a small aluminum-handled insertion tool. The end of the tool unscrews, and has storage inside for the small plugs. Each of the plugs has a small brass cone on the end. The plug is pushed into the business end of the tool, the foreign object is removed from the tire, and the plug is pushed into the tire. Once the tool is pushed all the way into the tire, it is then pulled back out. The brass cone head stays inside the tire, and the remainder of the plug remains, plugging the hole. If the hole is too large for one plug, you can insert several more plugs into the same hole until the hole is sealed. Plugs are useful only for holes on the tire's tread face. A tear or hole in the tire's sidewall cannot be patched or plugged, and the tire must be replaced.

Dynaplug use
Dynaplug use

While again, I haven't had a flat tire to test the system, I did have the opportunity to try it out at the Cleveland bike show. A hole was punched into a motorcycle tire, and I pushed one of the plugs into the hole. Once I withdrew the tool, the end of the plug protruded from the tire as shown. The representative said that the portion of the plug protruding would be worn away very quickly as the motorcycle is ridden, leaving a solid, sealed plug.

Dynaplug external appearance
Dynaplug external appearance

Inside the tire, the conical points are clearly visible, pulled up against the interior of the tire face. No amount of effort would push these back out through the hole, so I am fairly certain they would perform an excellent seal of the hole in the tire.

Dynaplug internal appearance
Dynaplug internal appearance

Several different types of Dynaplug are available. There are some available with reamers, used to clean and smooth the hole before the plug is inserted - however, for a temporary repair, I don't think I would bother.

Dynaplug Types
Dynaplug Types

And that's just what I would consider this, or any plug in a motorcycle tire: a temporary repair, designed to get you to somewhere that you can get the tire replaced. The packaging claims that the product is certified for permanent repair by a European test laboratory - but personally, I would not ride on any kind of plugged motorcycle tire except in an emergency situation.

I now carry the Dynaplug tool in my bike's tool kit, along with a tiny air compressor. It's small - the size of a small screwdriver - and takes up far less room than my original automotive plug kit. While I can't say that it works great until I've had the misfortune to have to use it - it's nice to know that I have that option.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Dynaplug Tire Repair Tool

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Here's an example of the tool in use:

coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby coldcanuk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Great looking tool......looks much better than the cheap ones we buy here. Is there a place to buy this?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

coldcanuk wrote:Great looking tool......looks much better than the cheap ones we buy here. Is there a place to buy this?

Right here: Dynaplug Tire Repair Tool

coldcanuk

Postby coldcanuk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Just ordered one with extra plugs. Hope I never have to use it.

coldcanuk

Postby coldcanuk » Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm

I thought I had ordered this tool sometime ago. I checked on the delivery and it was rejected for shipping to Canada. :evil: I have looked around this area I cannot find the same tool anywhere. Any advice on finding it in Canada would be very much appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 am

coldcanuk wrote:I thought I had ordered this tool sometime ago. I checked on the delivery and it was rejected for shipping to Canada. :evil: I have looked around this area I cannot find the same tool anywhere. Any advice on finding it in Canada would be very much appreciated.

Did you purchase it through the Amazon link?

coldcanuk

Postby coldcanuk » Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 am

Yes, I put an order in thru Amazon.com, they sent an email back stating that it could not be shipped, so I tried Amazon.ca but did not even list the tool. :? The only other units that are similar, but not even close to the quality are not worth buying. I have been looking around, but have not found the Dynaplug tool so far.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:37 am

coldcanuk wrote:Yes, I put an order in thru Amazon.com, they sent an email back stating that it could not be shipped, so I tried Amazon.ca but did not even list the tool. :? The only other units that are similar, but not even close to the quality are not worth buying. I have been looking around, but have not found the Dynaplug tool so far.

I googled around a bit and found this site: http://www.dynaplugcanada.com/dynaplugorderccf.htm

coldcanuk

Postby coldcanuk » Tue May 13, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks, checked out and got one on order. :D

Return to “Product Reviews”