Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

GL1500 Cornering LED

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Some time ago I replaced the cornering light bulbs in my GL1500 with H4 LED substitutes, which involved a bit of hacking and cutting. I detailed this process here: How to replace your cornering light bulbs

These lights were fairly bright, but a new, GL1500-specific LED bulb came out recently, and I thought I would give them a try. They are a 50-watt replacement LED, in that they purport to replace (and put out light equivalent to) a 50 watt bulb, but drawing only 6 watts of power. I got mine from Cyclemax: 50 watt LED bulb

These bulbs have eight bright SMD LEDs around their circumference, and a very bright LED under a projector lens, facing directly outward:

Putting the bulb in is very simple, as detailed in the How To article linked above: they are a direct replacement for the original factory bulb, and pop in with no fuss.

Once inserted, you notice that the bulbs have a cutout on them that slots directly into the slot in the GL1500 reflector, just like the original bulb.

They also have two contacts on them, like the original bulb, so the factory connector can be pushed onto them.

The connector is then rotated, locking the connector and bulb in place.

The last step before reassembly is making sure the rubber boot covers the whole assembly.

Once turned on, their brightness is instantly evident - they look like they are putting out a lot more light than their meager 6 watt current draw would suggest.

The reflectors on these lights is originally designed to spread light out to the side, for use as a cornering light. The eight SMD LEDs on the bulb reflect ably within the reflector, providing a bright wash of light out to the side of the bike.

The real gem however is that super projector LED on the front. The original lights, which were intended as cornering lights, put very little light out to the front. With the projector lens facing directly forward, these LEDs project quite a bit of light forward, making the bike very visible. Note the brightness of the light has caused the aperture in my camera to dial way down, making the bulb in this picture look nowhere near as bright as it appears to the human eye.

A better view, from off to one side, gives an idea as to the brightness and spread of these bulbs.

A comparative view: My twin HID headlights are searingly bright, and the twin 55-watt halogen driving lights also direct quite a bit of light directly forward. My LED position lights on either side of the headlights almost seem dim. The new cornering LED bulbs at the bottom are obviously nowhere near as bright as the HID headlights, but they still throw a fair amount of light out, and definitely make a difference.

In comparison to the old H4-style LED tower bulbs that they replaced, there is no question: these bulbs are far brighter, and more importantly, they send the majority of the light forward, rather than splashing it out to the sides. I'm impressed, and pleased with them.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Re: GL1500 Cornering LED

Postby BullCBX » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:51 pm

These look like a great solution for the late model style lights, but those with the older, plastic bulb holders still need to some kind of fabricating to add a LED bulb.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:26 pm

my bike has a aftermarket cornering light kit with HUGE bulbs. . . . will these fit and work for me with no mods ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:30 am

BullCBX wrote:These look like a great solution for the late model style lights, but those with the older, plastic bulb holders still need to some kind of fabricating to add a LED bulb.

I haven't had my '97's cornering lights apart - would these be the older type, or the newer type?

huntsman47
Motorcycle: 2000 /1500 25th anniversary gl

Postby huntsman47 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:12 am

I recently replaced my cornering bulbs with the new LED bulbs sold by Wing stuff. They are great although a bit pricey. No modification necessary ,they are made to replace the originals. They also show white light instead of yellow which I personally prefer. I drive a 2000 1500 se and I am considering changing all of my bikes bulbs over to LED!

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Kactus59 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:52 am

Hi all, I have been toying with the idea of replacing as many lights on my bike with LED as I can, but as of yet I have not. When they have given up the ghost on me I end up just replacing with the tried and true specific fitments or OEM parts. The main reason is that I have read or heard that switching to LED lighting without some special add-on electronics, I will end up with pulsating lights or causing some other electrical failure. By reading this article I did not get the impression that there was any other upgrades to do other than plug the LED light in as if it was any ordinary replacement light bulb. Are they manufacturing these bulbs with internal circuitry now to enable plug and play? Sorry if I come off sounding dense, It is just that I don't want to end up spending a lot of money changing things around and find out it being all-for-naught. I just want to say that this website is hands-down and invaluable asset to Wingers (or as my brother-in-law once said "geeser-gliders) Thanks WingAdmin for everything you have done here

huntsman47
Motorcycle: 2000 /1500 25th anniversary gl

Postby huntsman47 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 am

Yes they are now making plug and play. the only downfall that I see so far is that the LED headlight replacement bulbs only work up to 1998. As for me driving a 2000/1500/SE this does not help me much. I am hopeful that someone will make a LED headlight bulb for 1999 to 2000 in the near future. I did replace my cornering lights and the new led are great! Post and let us know how you fair out, good luck!

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Kactus59 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks Huntsman47 for the reply. Since I have replaced my cornering lights 3 times on left and once on right I am sure they will be the first replaced. I use the gell type battery and I would like to get the most life from that investment. A little less draw on the battery is my biggest goal.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 pm

From my understanding, the only place you have to add a circuit/part to is if you replace the turn signal bulbs with LED. To do that you have to add a resistor circuit so there is enough load for the flasher...beyond that, most all lights are plug and play.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Postby newtothe1996wing » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Added the Cyclemax LEDs today, WOW what a difference. Not sure how much lite they actually put out BUT straight on the color and brightness improve being seen A LOT!!!!!, And NO heat you can feel.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:20 pm

I was gonna POP OPEN another thread but as long as this one's warm...

Cornering lights, has anyone tried HIDs in them?
IT SEEeeeems our state don't give out tickets for bright lights for oncoming and rear ward vehicles. No, they just look the other way and give tickets for lane deviation (which was caused by said bright light driver). Cop (ah-HEM) claims he didn't see the bright lights, just my deviation. After getting a hold of the cops video, NO F'udgen WAY could he miss the bright lights, in fact he had to squint hard to see me where I was.
SO, anyways...
The HID's in the cornering housing? Good, bad, melt-able? :shock:
If so, the brightest will be?

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Product Reviews”