Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Plast-aid Plastic Repair Solution

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:10 pm

I read about this product in my favorite magazine, Motorcycle Consumer News. It's long been a favorite of people with faired bikes that need repair. I have always used ABS cement to repair our ABS fairings. Where I've had to make repairs for missing parts, I've used ABS shavings and ABS cement to form a slurry, which can then be applied to the repair. The benefit of this is that ABS cement chemically melts the ABS, so that the repair is not actually glued together - it is bonded like new. When using the slurry, it chemically melts the plastic it is applied to, then solidifies into a solid piece of ABS, just as strong as the original material.

The problem with this is that the curing time can be lengthy - a repair utilizing thick layers of slurry can take upwards of a week to fully cure and regain its original hardness and strength. Faced with fixing a crack in a fairing piece from my wife's PC800 after a tipover at a stop sign, I had a problem: The repair had to be held together by hand while the repair cured. The compound curves of the piece prevented the use of a clamp. Obviously I couldn't spend hours - or more - holding a piece together waiting for the repair to cure. I thought I would give Plast-aid a try. I purchased it on Amazon, where it is listed as a pool repair kit: Plast-aid plastic repair kit

Plast-aid comes in a package with a bottle of fine white powder, a bottle of liquid, a mixing cup and a wooden mixing stick. It will mechanically bond to most materials, and will chemically bond to many plastics, including ABS. Any plastic that the liquid makes tacky will chemically bond.

Here is the crack on the piece. The piece was bent such that the crack was opening up.

To start, I took some 100 grit sandpaper and sanded off the paint on the inside of the piece around the crack, roughening the surface in the process.

Next, I poured some of the powder into the cup. The proportions are not critical.

To start the reaction, the liquid is added to the powder. The liquid is noxious smelling, flammable, and on the whole unpleasant. The instructions say to use it in a well-ventilated area. I performed the process on my workbench, as I have a fume extractor that exhausts fumes to the outdoors. Working this way, it wasn't too bad.

The mixture is then mixed together. I added a bit too much liquid, resulting in a watery solution. I simply added a bit more powder, which thickened it up to the consistency of thick cream. Once mixed together, Plast-aid will cure to a hard plastic in about ten minutes. I mixed it until the solution got a bit thicker.

Next I poured the solution over the crack.

Within 30 seconds or so, the mixture had thickened and hardened enough that I could "tool" it with the stick, pushing it into areas I wanted it to go, and patting it down in areas I didn't want it. It was now about the consistency of clay. It can be worked with your fingers like modelling clay while in this state.

The remaining unused Plast-aid does not stick to the mixing cup, and can be pulled free. Once it fully cures, it becomes extremely hard and strong. It is more brittle than ABS, and does not appear to have the ability to flex without breaking that ABS does, however in the application for which I used it, there should be no flexing, so this repair should work quite well.

Fully cured, the substance turns into a hard, white plastic. Paint or coloring can be added to it when initially mixed, which will color the final result accordingly.

The repair was successful - it's quite strong, and the gap in the crack is gone. I did have to hold the piece for ten minutes while the material cured, but after that ten minutes, it held in place quite well. I screwed the piece back onto the bike and it held perfectly. A simple fifteen minute repair - and I expect it will be a permanent one (barring another tipover!).

Plast-aid seems to live up to the positive reviews that people give it - it is widely used by the hot tub and spa industry to fix cracks and holes. I suspect I will have many uses for it!

Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Re: Plast-aid Plastic Repair Solution

Postby Doug B. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:33 am

Would you mind sharing where you purchased the product. Up to now I have used the sacrificial ABS plumbing fitting and acetone which has worked extremely well. Drill holes in it and save the pig tail shavings to add to the acetone. It does take 24 hours to fully "set", but none the less works great.
"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24 am

Doug B. wrote:Would you mind sharing where you purchased the product. Up to now I have used the sacrificial ABS plumbing fitting and acetone which has worked extremely well. Drill holes in it and save the pig tail shavings to add to the acetone. It does take 24 hours to fully "set", but none the less works great.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this originally. I purchased it on Amazon, where it is listed as a pool repair kit: Plast-aid plastic repair kit

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 am

I have tried this product as well as another (much cheaper) one... Oatey makes an ABS cement that is basically liquid ABS... On the damaged piece shown above ya first would wipe the inside surface with a paper towel wet with acetone... I like to tape the painted side to insure the acetone does not leak through the crack on the paint... Then apply a good coat of the Oatey ABS cement (I use a disposable paint brush)... Let it dry for an hour or so and then apply another coat... You can repeat this process as many times as you want to in order to obtain as thick a mend as desired... I usually give it three coats and it ends up stronger than the original piece was... I and a friend ran several tests with this cement on an old much broken cowl... Even with just one coat we found the joint was stronger than the surrounding original area... If you were use a thin piece of ABS as a splint on the joint you can make a near indestructible end product... I buy the small cans of it as the solvent in it evaporates quite quickly while using it... I have added acetone to it to thin it back out with good results though...

http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30892-Mediu ... ingdocs-20

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 am

Ed Z wrote:I have tried this product as well as another (much cheaper) one... Oatey makes an ABS cement that is basically liquid ABS... On the damaged piece shown above ya first would wipe the inside surface with a paper towel wet with acetone... I like to tape the painted side to insure the acetone does not leak through the crack on the paint... Then apply a good coat of the Oatey ABS cement (I use a disposable paint brush)... Let it dry for an hour or so and then apply another coat... You can repeat this process as many times as you want to in order to obtain as thick a mend as desired... I usually give it three coats and it ends up stronger than the original piece was... I and a friend ran several tests with this cement on an old much broken cowl... Even with just one coat we found the joint was stronger than the surrounding original area... If you were use a thin piece of ABS as a splint on the joint you can make a near indestructible end product... I buy the small cans of it as the solvent in it evaporates quite quickly while using it... I have added acetone to it to thin it back out with good results though...

As I mentioned, I have always used ABS cement (and specifially, Oatey) for repairs in the past. Using ABS shavings (you can get them easily by drilling holes in a sheet of ABS), mixed in with the ABS cement, you can get a thick slurry that you can work into a repair better than just slopping on layers of thin cement. But as I mentioned, the main problem with this (and the advantage to the Plast-aid) is that the ABS takes time to cure, and the slurry can take a week (and sometimes more, depending on the thickness) to fully cure and harden. The Plast-aid goes from a watery liquid to a solid, hard, cured repair in ten minutes - and is easily malleable and workable (like putty) using your fingers or tools as it cures.

But I agree, ABS cement with a thin piece of ABS plastic glued in place makes a formidably strong repair.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 am

And yet another great product we can't order from Amazon.ca... :x
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Postby newday777 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 am

I too have used the Plast - aid with good results while working at a trike shop. They had bought some at a show and I was impressed by the repair being much faster than the trusty ABS cement process of several days (24 hrs/coat dry time).

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 am

Oldbear wrote:And yet another great product we can't order from Amazon.ca... :x

Amazon is good and sells a lot of products but they fall short for some at times.

On the Plast-Aid web site http://plast-aid.com/ there is a note at the bottom of the Online Store page. You should try that avenue.

CANADA SHIPPING
Please contact Aquiform or Central Spa Supply for all Canadian orders.

Contact Aquiform at sales@aquiform.com
For Central Spa Supply, go to http://www.centralspasupply.com/Site_2008/consumer_2008.htm.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:46 pm

MikeB wrote:
Oldbear wrote:And yet another great product we can't order from Amazon.ca... :x

Amazon is good and sells a lot of products but they fall short for some at times.

On the Plast-Aid web site http://plast-aid.com/ there is a note at the bottom of the Online Store page. You should try that avenue.

CANADA SHIPPING
Please contact Aquiform or Central Spa Supply for all Canadian orders.

Contact Aquiform at sales@aquiform.com
For Central Spa Supply, go to http://www.centralspasupply.com/Site_2008/consumer_2008.htm.

I have contacted them and hope to find a local dealer.

Amazon.com is great, Amazon.ca is good for buying books and movies and little else... I thought we had some sort of free trade agreement...
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I have to add a small footnote to my review of this product.

I used it the other day to repair the bezel of a PA speaker my wife uses (someone dropped it...oops.) It is a self-powered JBL speaker, and the front bezel is a very tough plastic that I couldn't identify. None of the solvents I had would touch it, I thought it might be ABS, but I was wrong.

So I sanded down the plastic to roughen it up, put the Plast-Aid around the broken posts (where screws fasten the bezel in place), let it cure over night and it's good as new.

However...the next day, I was in my basement working on something else, and I hadn't yet put away the Plast-Aid. I turned around, hit the jar of solvent that comes with it - and it fell and shattered all over the cement floor in my basement.

Now this stuff smells quite a bit when you are using just a little bit of it to mix up some plastic. You can imagine what an entire jar smells like! It evaporated in seconds, filling my basement with powerful fumes. I have an exhaust fan down there, but it was no match for this stuff. I started getting lightheaded very quickly. I ended up having to ventilate the entire house to get rid of the smell.

So my two caveats on this product: Don't spill the solvent, it smells REALLY bad, and be careful with the solvent bottle, it is fragile and will break reasonably easily.

Now I have to buy another package of the stuff!

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Oldbear wrote:I have contacted them and hope to find a local dealer.

Amazon.com is great, Amazon.ca is good for buying books and movies and little else... I thought we had some sort of free trade agreement...

I bought a kit from these people, no trouble with international shipping.

http://www.plastex.net

I assume it's very similar, so that might help you. I've been very happy with mine.

Charlie

Flyboy6
Motorcycle: 1983GL650i
1983 Aspencade
1997 Valkyrie
1966 Cessna 172

Postby Flyboy6 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

I have been fixing up the side panels on my 650 Silverwing, using a light fiberglass cloth, which I lay across as a patch, then lay in some CA glue (cyanoacrylate - like crazy glue) - it adheres to the underlying plastic and embeds the cloth. Sets in a minute or so. On some larger patches (like a cracked corner) I use an epoxy resin to coat it.
Toronto Ontario
83 Aspencade
83 GL650i
1966 Cessna

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 am

Flyboy6 wrote:I have been fixing up the side panels on my 650 Silverwing, using a light fiberglass cloth, which I lay across as a patch, then lay in some CA glue (cyanoacrylate - like crazy glue) - it adheres to the underlying plastic and embeds the cloth. Sets in a minute or so. On some larger patches (like a cracked corner) I use an epoxy resin to coat it.

That's strong, but it won't be a permanent fix. Someone had used a similar method to fix some cracks on my GL1100. The problem is that the ABS plastic it is attached to heats and cools at a separate rate, and more important - is far more flexible than cyanoacrylate or epoxy resin, which both set up extremely stiff and hard. Both bond to the ABS like glue, and this bond can (and eventually will) break, so the repair will separate from the ABS.

Without question, the best way to fix cracks and breaks in ABS panels is using MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or ABS glue (which is a mixture of ABS and MEK). MEK actually chemically melts the ABS, so the repair is not bonded, it becomes a new, solid piece of ABS.

If the break or crack is too large to fix with just glue, I take a small flat piece of ABS, if required I heat it to bend it to match the curve of the piece to be repaired, then coat both it and the piece to be repaired with MEK or ABS glue. This melts the surface of the piece to be repaired and the piece of ABS. Clamp them together, and they melt together, becoming the same piece of plastic. This is not a glued piece that can come apart, and it can not be separated after the fact - like welding, it melts both parts and they become one piece. This is an extremely strong and permanent repair. I have repaired cracks in ABS panels by attaching a piece of ABS to the back of them in this manner, and the repair is virtually invisible - and in fact stronger than the original piece.

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:27 am

I concur 100% with the above... I bought differing thickness of ABS (12x12 inch) sheets online for just a few dollars... The high stress areas that I have repaired have never cracked again... If you just want to add a bit of strength to an area ya can just paint on a few coats of the ABS glue and it will increase the overall ABS thickness quite nicely... With experience and some disposable brushes one can make a very professional looking repair in just a few minutes... If there is a void area to be fixed just paint on till it builds up enough and once it's cured it can be sanded back down to completely hide the void...
I use acetone to prep the surfaces prior as it melts and cleans the ABS rather well...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 am

Incidentally Flyboy, what's your 1966 Cessna? Are you out of NC3?

Flyboy6
Motorcycle: 1983GL650i
1983 Aspencade
1997 Valkyrie
1966 Cessna 172

Postby Flyboy6 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:32 pm

OK - good to know about the limits on the CA glue repairs - will switch tactics. A PO had done a big gobby epoxy fix in one spot, which seems to have held up, but it is in an area with no flex expected of it.

WingAdmin - I fly out of Stanhope airport (CND4) in Haliburton Ontario, tho I live in Toronto. Any serious spare time is spent up there. My Cessna is CFUGO, a 172G - last year with the Continental 6 cylinder.

Big kudos on this site and the work you do - I'm new back into the motorcycle world after 30 yrs away, bought a GL650i a couple months ago, loving it, but knew right away not the bike for any highway touring, so picked up a 83 Aspencade as well, just digging into it now.
Toronto Ontario
83 Aspencade
83 GL650i
1966 Cessna

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Flyboy6 wrote:OK - good to know about the limits on the CA glue repairs - will switch tactics. A PO had done a big gobby epoxy fix in one spot, which seems to have held up, but it is in an area with no flex expected of it.

WingAdmin - I fly out of Stanhope airport (CND4) in Haliburton Ontario, tho I live in Toronto. Any serious spare time is spent up there. My Cessna is CFUGO, a 172G - last year with the Continental 6 cylinder.

Big kudos on this site and the work you do - I'm new back into the motorcycle world after 30 yrs away, bought a GL650i a couple months ago, loving it, but knew right away not the bike for any highway touring, so picked up a 83 Aspencade as well, just digging into it now.

A PO had done the same thing on my GL1100, on the bottom inside of the front fairing near a mounting point, and it was cracking away from the ABS of the fairing. That's how I was originally introduced to ABS fairing repair. :)

Wow, Haliburton is quite a ways out of town to go flying! Unless you use the 172 to commute up there, perhaps. :)

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the fold!

Return to “Product Reviews”