Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Olympia Horizon Rain Gear

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 pm

I do a fair bit of long-distance riding, and at times you don't have the choice to go through fair weather - when your trip involves you going from point A to point B, you simply dress for the weather. As a result, I have a lot of riding gear, everything from my Phase Change Polar Vest cooling vest to my Gerbing's heated gloves and Gerbing's heated jacket liner.

When it came to rain, I had an old rain suit that I pulled on over my regular riding gear. It was very good in that it was rubberized and utterly impermeable to rain. I have ridden through some of the fiercest thunderstorms and torrential downpours while wearing this suit, and stayed completely dry. However, because it is a rubberized type material, it also does not breathe - at all. As in, no air gets into it. When riding in hot summer showers, it is like wearing a portable steam bath. The worst is when riding a long distance and encountering occasional rain showers. Put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off...eventually I just give up and leave it on, and live through the heat torture.

I decided this year I was going to fix this situation. I absolutely love my Olympia jacket and pants, so I went back to Olympia to see what they had in the way of rain gear. After trying on a few and reading some reviews, I decided on their Horizon rain jacket and pants, in a high-visibility neon green.

Amazon: Olympia Horizon Rain Jacket

Amazon: Olympia Horizon Rain Pants

The Horizon gear is made out of a material they call "Aquatech" which is waterproof and windproof, yet allows the material to breathe, and the rider's perspiration to evaporate through it - unlike my old rubber sauna suit.

As with all of my Olympia gear, I was very impressed with the quality and attention to detail. The pants are a heavy duty material and sized generously to fit over top of my existing armored riding pants.

An adjustable belt allows the waist to be adjusted to fit the wearer's girth:

Very important: The bottom end of the pants have velcro pads, so that the end can be expanded. This means you can easily pull the pants on and off without having to remove your boots. Once you have pulled them on, this little flap folds over and is held in place with the velcro pads:

There is also a set of adjustable velcro strips, so that you can adjust the bottom of the pants to fit your boots properly, without flapping in the wind. This is a one-time adjustment.

The inner side of the lower part of each leg is covered in actual Nomex, so that it can come safely into contact with hot exhaust, and not melt or catch fire. Not really a huge issue on my Goldwing, but nice to know.

Once put on and adjusted, the length is just about perfect, reaching the top of the boot. There is a elasticized bottom internal seal that seals the bottom of the pantleg to the boot, to prevent rain from blowing up the pantleg.

The pants are designed to ride high, to prevent rain from seeping up over the waistline. There is generous behind area, to make them comfortable while sitting.

The jacket is typical Olympia - lots of adjustments, lots of 3M high-reflectivity tape and seams on the front, back and sleeves. This stuff lights up super bright when illuminated by headlights. There is an adjustable belt around the waist that allows you to cinch the waist to fit, preventing rain and wind from getting up the bottom of the jacket.

The belt goes all the way around the jacket, as does the reflective strip.

The inside of the jacket has a small pocket and is lined with mesh, to keep a layer of air against you and help with cooling. The bottom 10-12 inches of the jacket is a synthetic material that does not wick water. This prevents rainwater that blows up the bottom of the jacket from wicking up and getting you wet.

The collar unsnaps and a small, waterproof and breathable hood emerges. The hood material is thin and stretchy, and is intended to be comfortably worn under a helmet.

With the hood on and the front collar fastened in place with velcro, it is quite comfortable - and very well protected against rain.

With the collar on underneath the helmet, no rainwater can get up into your neck and drip down the top of the jacket.

The front collar also protects your neck against rainwater intrusion.

The front of the jacket has a zipper, along with a double flap fastened with velcro, to ensure no rain can get past and to the zipper.

The jacket sleeves are adjustable for diameter (girth) with velcro tabs, to adjust for the width of the riding jacket you wear underneath it, and any associated armor. The cuff also fastens tightly, although I would assume it is intended to be worn with waterproof gauntlet style gloves.

The bottom of the jacket has an elastic adjustment that snugs it tight against you, to further prevent intrusion of water.

With both the jacket and pants on, you are truly protected against any inclement weather, and can ride confident that you will stay dry and comfortable.

The jacket and pants both fold up into built in pouches for storage. Each has a pouch that is turned inside out, and the garment is stuffed into the pouch.

The pouch is then fastened with an elastic pull (jacket) or velcro tabs (pants), making the items easy to store in your saddlebag, taking up only a tiny amount of space.

Feature label:

Sizing label - keep in mind all sizing assumes you are wearing the jacket and pants OVER existing riding gear. The items shown in the pictures above are the Medium/Large size.

My overall impressions of the outfit: It's very high quality, and it is WATERPROOF. Rain will pour down onto you, and nothing gets past - you stay absolutely, completely dry. It is quite easy to get on and off, even with boots on. I am thrilled with them, and happy to toss my old, hot, rubbery rain suit.

samellring
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE Special Edition

Re: Olympia Horizon Rain Gear

Postby samellring » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Enjoyed this article as I know we (my wife and I) will need to upgrade as our current rain gear is 15+ years old.

One question you did not answer is where you did you purchase them from as well as price. :-)

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

"Everyone has the power to impact the outcome of his life. The way to do it is to focus on today...Today is the only time you have. It's too late for yesterday. And you can't depend on tomorrow." ~ John C. Maxwell

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:59 pm

$170 U.S. at Revzilla and others according to Google

$205 Cdn from Canadasmotorcycle.ca
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:14 pm

themainviking wrote:$170 U.S. at Revzilla and others according to Google

$205 Cdn from Canadasmotorcycle.ca

Ya ouch. I checked that too. Not in my budget right now. Have to wait for some close outs.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Deputy1952
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby Deputy1952 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Great review and impressive rain gear. Probably going to be in my saddlebags in the near future. Thanks for taking the time.

venture1
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Postby venture1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 am

Nice review.
I have used FirstGear rainwear for a number of years and have been very pleased with its performance. I have used it in both warm and cool conditions (Maine to California in 2010 - southern rt. out and northern rt. back and Maine to Alaska in 2012 - northern rt. out to Washington, up to Fairbanks and returned to Maine through Canada and Vermont). I also enjoy using the rain jacket while not riding the scoot as it is so comfortable :D.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 pm

I got the opportunity this past week to try this rain gear out in an absolute downpour. The verdict: After over an hour of pelting rain, I remained perfectly dry. This stuff works! I'm very impressed.

marvincshepard
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing

Postby marvincshepard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 pm

I just bought some. I read your review I'm not looking forward to the rain but I'm ready to try the gear.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby DetroitWingnut » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:16 am

I work outside and I'm tempted to buy this gear because of the great reviews! Also about the cheapest gear you can buy from Olympia at $170 for the set...would be far superior to the junk supplied by my employer that he gets for about $30 from Graingers! lol I can't believe that I would even consider buying gear this expensive, must be because I've been looking at Olympia bike clothes costing 4 times as much!!!

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:42 am

I got to use the gear on a Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Line Drive ride. It rained for three days. I was bone dry and big enough for my warmer gear underneath. My local dealer had it in stock and even give me fifteen percent off. RPM (Real Performance Motorcycles) in Greenville SC on Laurens Rd.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:31 am

marvincshepard wrote:I got to use the gear on a Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Line Drive ride. It rained for three days. I was bone dry and big enough for my warmer gear underneath. My local dealer had it in stock and even give me fifteen percent off. RPM (Real Performance Motorcycles) in Greenville SC on Laurens Rd.

Your experience mirrors mine. I rode through an absolute downpour this summer, into 45 mph headwinds on the highway (so rain was coming at me at over 100 mph). There was so much water I thought I was going to be soaked, it felt like water was being poured onto me from a huge bucket. After an hour or so when I finally got through the rain I took off this rain gear, and found I was completely dry underneath!

Evilrick
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1977 750K (hot rod), still miss it sometimes.
650 Trump. 450 CB, 400 Suzi dirt & street, 2 or 3 360 Enduro Yamaha's, 400 TM Yamaha (dirt only), 350 Kaw, 125 Enduro Yamaha, even had an 106 Allstate when I was real young, Sears sold them about 50 yrs ago. Do I really need to list the rest?

Postby Evilrick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 am

I bought a pair of Frogg Toggs at wally world, took them home to check them out. As soon as I pulled them out of the bag I had doubts about them. After I had them on I knew they were not what I needed and knew they would come apart in the wind, most likely when I needed them the most.
I bought the Olympia Horizon Rain Gear black set before I read your review of them. I read several reviews and talked to a couple people and the Olympia set got good reviews so they are the ones I got. I also bought the boot covers. Have not had rain to try them, yet.
Was on goldwingdocs, just looking around when I saw the tag for your review. I was worried that I would see that you thought they were not what they are hyped to be, but am glad that you were happy with them and that they have kept you dry in a heavy rain. I have no doubt that mine will get tested this year.
No matter where you go, there you are. It's not the destination that matters. Getting there safe does.

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:09 am

I belive you will be real happy with the rain gear. Also since you bought the boot covers are the bottoms plastic or rubber? The ones I bought was plastic and when you go to put your foot down they don't grip the asphalt too well. So check that out. If they are plastic you can cover the bottom with something rubberized to give it a better grip. I used some glue from work.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

Evilrick
650 Trump. 450 CB, 400 Suzi dirt & street, 2 or 3 360 Enduro Yamaha's, 400 TM Yamaha (dirt only), 350 Kaw, 125 Enduro Yamaha, even had an 106 Allstate when I was real young, Sears sold them about 50 yrs ago. Do I really need to list the rest?

Postby Evilrick » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 pm

marvincshepard wrote:I belive you will be real happy with the rain gear. Also since you bought the boot covers are the bottoms plastic or rubber? The ones I bought was plastic and when you go to put your foot down they don't grip the asphalt too well. So check that out. If they are plastic you can cover the bottom with something rubberized to give it a better grip. I used some glue from work.

The ones I got only go under the toe of the boot for a short distance, they have elastic strap under the boot and stretch behind the heal. Very little of the material is under the boot. That way whatever boot soul you have on the boot you wear is mostly on the ground. I got them at the same time I got the rain suit. They are on the bike right now and it is not here so I'm not sure about the name brand, but I think they are Olympia like the rain suit. Could be wrong about that, next chance I get to them I will check and let you know.
No matter where you go, there you are. It's not the destination that matters. Getting there safe does.

Evilrick

Postby Evilrick » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Evilrick wrote:
marvincshepard wrote:I belive you will be real happy with the rain gear. Also since you bought the boot covers are the bottoms plastic or rubber? The ones I bought was plastic and when you go to put your foot down they don't grip the asphalt too well. So check that out. If they are plastic you can cover the bottom with something rubberized to give it a better grip. I used some glue from work.

The ones I got only go under the toe of the boot for a short distance, they have elastic strap under the boot, and stretch behind the heal. Very little of the material is under the boot. That way whatever boot soul you have on the boot you wear is mostly on the ground. I got them at the same time I got the rain suit. They are on the bike right now and it is not here so I'm not sure about the name brand, but I think they are Olympia like the rain suit. Could be wrong about that, next chance I get to them I will check and let you know.

The boot covers have MOTO centric labeled on the side of them. The covers go about 4 inches under the toe of the boot. They have an elastic strap that goes under the boot and they stretch around the back of the heal. They have a zipper on the side that is covered by a velcro flap with a snap on the inside at the top. I got them at the same time as the rain suit from the same place, that's why I thought they were Olympia brand. May be Olympia, but the labeling on the side is the only labeling on/in them.

marvincshepard

Postby marvincshepard » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I will look the next time I am in the store.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am

This past week I did a 6-hour ride up to Canada. It was night, and it was forecast to rain the whole way. I hoped I'd not hit a lot of rain.

15 minutes into the ride, I was sitting under an overpass, pulling on my Olympia Horizon rain gear (which can be done without removing your boots, thankfully). I rode the remainder of the way in pouring rain - at times an absolute deluge. Spray from tractor trailers enveloped me while buckets of rain poured down on top of me.

I stayed absolutely and completely dry and comfortable. The rain just beads up and runs off this rain gear, it doesn't get wet at all. It was cold - around 45 degrees F - and the wind didn't affect me either, as this raingear is also windproof. The reflective parts on the gear lit me up like a beacon in the headlights of the vehicles around me.

When I pulled up to the border crossing, with rain pouring down on me and everything absolutely dripping wet, the border guard just looked at me and shook his head!

I reiterate my original opinion that this is one set of amazing gear!

Evilrick

Postby Evilrick » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 am

That's good to hear. I haven't been in a downpour with mine YET, just a light rain. Driving anything in the rain isn't fun unless your "playing" in the rain.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:15 pm

samellring wrote:Enjoyed this article as I know we (my wife and I) will need to upgrade as our current rain gear is 15+ years old.

One question you did not answer is where you did you purchase them from as well as price. :-)

Thank you!

I purchased mine originally from Revzilla, but I see that Amazon now has the set cheaper:

Olympia Horizon Rain Jacket

Olympia Horizon Rain Pants

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:18 am

Looks like this gear is on closeout if anybody is looking to buy. :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Product Reviews”