• Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Audio Input - iSimple IS31, Installed

Postby Mh434 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Well, I'd mentioned earlier that I wanted to add an audio input jack to my Gl1500SE, and was intending on installing an iSimple IS31. It's done now, so I thought I'd add a couple of pics to show the outcome.

Installation was really easy. The iSimple box just sits on the top of the inner rear fender. As it's trapped there by the seat, fender and frame, there's no reason to secure it in place. The wiring is also easy. From the box, a positive wire (with integral fuse holder) and a ground wire are routed a few inches to the accessory input terminals of the fuse box. An on-off switch is mounted somewhere convenient, as well as an "audio-in" jack (also by the same company - I wanted a professional look, so I bought a small wire kit that contains the jack, RCA-to-3.5 mm adapter, and a double-ended 3.5 cable...all connectors are gold-plated). In order to give signal input, there is an antenna cable out, and an antenna cable in. As the connector for the GL1500's FM antenna is only inches away, this part, too, is simplicity itself.
Looking rearward, under seat
Looking rearward, under seat

The second picture is self-explanatory. I added a captured rubber port plug, scavenged from a deceased marine VHF radio, to keep water out of the audio-in jack during rain or bike washing.
On-off switch & input jack with waterproofing plug
On-off switch & input jack with waterproofing plug

To use the unit (I'm using my iPhone as my MP3 player, currently), plug one end of the extension cable into the phone, the other end into the audio-in jack, flip the switch, and press preset 1 on the bike's OEM stereo. I'm now listening to my tunes, yet my intercom works as normal, muting the music when my wife or I speak. It also works with my older Garmin 750 GPS (with audio-out) - it's nice to be able to hear GPS instructions and not have to constantly look down at the GPS screen.

Music etc. through this system is crystal clear, with no possibility of interference, unlike several of the FM-transmit modulators I've tried.

Anyway, for those looking to add audio in for their OEM Honda stereos, this is a neat, professional-looking (and sounding!) mod, that doesn't cost much. I recommend it!

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: Audio Input - iSimple IS31, Installed

Postby minimac » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 am

Nice installation. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Product Reviews”